IGNORED

Can anyone identify this game?

DuckandCover

I'm hoping that one of the knowledgable folks here can help me out. I've been thinking about a coin-op I used to play regularly back in the day, but I can't remember the name of the game at all.

The game is set during the wild west, and the player takes on the role of a train robber. The action of the game is made up of two phases. First, the player is riding alongside the moving train on horseback, exchanging shots with the train's guardians who appear in the windows of the train cars. Progress past enought train cars, and you enter the next phase of play, where the player guides the bandit across the top of the train cars, heading for the engine. Along the way, he must defeat a variety of enemies using punches and kicks. This second part was side-scrolling, and reminded me of the action of "Bad Dudes", another (better) game that I believe was released around the same time this one was.

Whatever its title, it wasn't the best game I ever played, but after dropping a few quarters in it during a slow afternoon at the arcade, I found I was pretty good at it. I was just hoping someone could jog my failing memory with the game's name.

Originally Posted by Liquid Sky -

While we are on the topic of western games, does anyone remember the game that was like a hologram you kinda looked down on, looked like FMV, played like dragon warrior? i beleive sega made it

Sega Time Traveller - a nice gimmick but had no long lasting playability. All you had to do was point left or right and press fire whenever a cowboy appeared.

I wonder if the Emulation Guru's will ever manage to replicate it on a pc????, not likely.

Adam

[ 04-27-2002: Message edited by: Fretwobbler ]

Well, I downloaded the Wild Western ROM and ran it MAME. It's a cool game , but it isn't the one I'm thinking of. The game I'm trying to recall probably appeared several years after Wild Western. It had more sophisticated graphics, and the play action of the hand-to-hand fighting stage was reminiscent of Kung Fu Master or Bad Dudes...

Any other ideas?

[ 04-28-2002: Message edited by: duckandcover ]

quote:

Originally posted by duckandcover:

I'm hoping that one of the knowledgable folks here can help me out. I've been thinking about a coin-op I used to play regularly back in the day, but I can't remember the name of the game at all.

The game is set during the wild west, and the player takes on the role of a train robber. The action of the game is made up of two phases. First, the player is riding alongside the moving train on horseback, exchanging shots with the train's guardians who appear in the windows of the train cars. Progress past enought train cars, and you enter the next phase of play, where the player guides the bandit across the top of the train cars, heading for the engine. Along the way, he must defeat a variety of enemies using punches and kicks. This second part was side-scrolling, and reminded me of the action of "Bad Dudes", another (better) game that I believe was released around the same time this one was.

Whatever its title, it wasn't the best game I ever played, but after dropping a few quarters in it during a slow afternoon at the arcade, I found I was pretty good at it. I was just hoping someone could jog my failing memory with the game's name.

This is it:

http://www.klov.com/W/Western_Express.html