IGNORED

Sam Tramiel interview - Next Generation 1995

kevincal

Maybe the Jag was better w/ the Jag CD add on then the Saturn. If I remeber correctly Sega had to Remake VF and call it VF DELUXE because the 32X version was actualy better than it. FFL actualy was better than VF1 before the remix on Saturn and it was a cart game vs. a CD game if Jag would of just made a CD version of it w/ shorter rounds and a couple tweaks I'm sure their remix could of beat VF Remix.

You know, Sega did not VF Remix because of th 32X version of VF, but because Tôshinden and Tekken were released :P

Ya know, I have Virtua Fighter on the Saturn and I've played it through an S-Video cable, and in my opinion, it looks and plays great. So I don't understand all the hate that game gets... I haven't played Fight For Life though...

The hate for VF ? I have not seen this, the game had a warm welcom all around the world, and especially in Japan :)

(gameplay wise, it's much better than FFL)

FFL was never much fun to play. I'm sure there's some FFL diehard fan on this board, so let me add that this is just my opinion. Try both and see for yourself.
I always thought FFL was okay, not great. It suffers from the same problem all fighters do on the Jaguar: 3 fire buttons just ain't enough for a fighter game.

FFL was never much fun to play. I'm sure there's some FFL diehard fan on this board, so let me add that this is just my opinion. Try both and see for yourself.
I always thought FFL was okay, not great. It suffers from the same problem all fighters do on the Jaguar: 3 fire buttons just ain't enough for a fighter game.

3 buttons is plenty for a fighter! Block, punch, and kick is all that Virtua Fighter needed for fast, fluid gameplay for years. The problems with Fight for Life run deeper than the game's controls: it's ugly, slow, and the design forces you to play forever to earn enough abilities to make the game interesting. If it had arrived a few years earlier, before 3D fighters were all over the place, it might have made some impact. Unfortunately for Atari, it was delayed yet still feels unfinished. Like many of the Jaguar's titles, it was too little, too late.

It takes serious development $$ to get into the game market, and Atari simply didn't have the funds to compete with giants like Sega and Sony. Those early days were just the beginning of the blockbuster-driven era we're in now: if a developer's game doesn't cost $10 million and have all the latest features, including a massive advertising budget, that company isn't going to make any money. Next Generation was kinder to Atari than most of the industry by giving Tramiel a platform from which to speak.

Ya know, I have Virtua Fighter on the Saturn and I've played it through an S-Video cable, and in my opinion, it looks and plays great. So I don't understand all the hate that game gets... I haven't played Fight For Life though...

The hate for VF ? I have not seen this, the game had a warm welcom all around the world, and especially in Japan :)

(gameplay wise, it's much better than FFL)

Yes in Japan Virtua Fighter was seen for its revolutionary gameplay (for a fighting game) and not its simplistic graphics. But in the US, where a lot of people care only about looks, ;) , a lot of the US videogame magazines back in the mid 90's rated Battle Arena Toshinden over Virtua Fighter. So even though VF obviously played better, BAT looked better and won (popularity wise) because of it.

Edited by kevincal

Next Generation was kinder to Atari than most of the industry by giving Tramiel a platform from which to speak.

Though I remember Next Generation saying many times various readers criticized them for being anti-Jaguar, I also had the impression the magazine tried to be kinder and fairer to the Jag than most other magazines. They were critical of many Jaguar games, but those were the games EVERYBODY criticized, but IMO they tended to be more positive towards Jaguar games that were merely competent or solid than perhaps they should have been (or at least compared to other magazines).

Yes in Japan Virtua Fighter was seen for its revolutionary gameplay (for a fighting game) and not its simplistic graphics. But in the US, where a lot of people care only about looks, ;) , a lot of the US videogame magazines back in the mid 90's rated Battle Arena Toshinden over Virtua Fighter. So even though VF obviously played better, BAT looked better and won (popularity wise) because of it.

You could change "Virtua Fighter" and "Battle Arena Toshinden" to "Daytona USA" and "Ridge Racer" respectively and the exact same thing was also true in many people's eyes.

Yeah, when Sega wanted a clone of Street Fighter 2 they made Eternal Champions, also they made their own version of Final Fight etc.

Atari makes their own version of VR Racing "Checkerd Flag" and its unplayable then they rip-off Mortal Kombat w/ "Kausami Ninja" and VR Fighting w/ Fight For Life which turn into below average fighters...since the frame work was already their expectations are always going to be higher.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I went to Jaguar Interactive ll for the first time in a long time and they were talking about this interview. So, I thought I'd use my scanner since it's my first scanner and I'm having fun with it. ;)

One thing I can't figure out if the Jaguar was really a 64 Bit Machine, why did Tramel say the 32 Bit Playstation was more powerful then the Jaguar?

I went to Jaguar Interactive ll for the first time in a long time and they were talking about this interview. So, I thought I'd use my scanner since it's my first scanner and I'm having fun with it. ;)

One thing I can't figure out if the Jaguar was really a 64 Bit Machine, why did Tramel say the 32 Bit Playstation was more powerful then the Jaguar?

Would you mind citing a source?

It's a simple explanation really of why Sam said the 32-bit PS is more powerfull than the Jag. I will use cars as an example:

Imagine the Jag as a 1993 Mustang V8 with 225 horsepower (V8 equalling 64-bits)

& imagine the Playstation as a 2000 Honda S2000 I4 with 260 horsepower (I4 = 32-bits)

So basically, the Playstation only has a 4 cylinder engine (32-bits) while the Jag has an 8 cylinder engine (64-bits) Yet the 4 cylinder PS engine is much more refined and thus produces more power than the 8 cylinder Jag engine.

The Jaguar IS 64-bit, but it's an archaic 64-bit, one of the first 64-bit systems ever If I'm not mistaken. It must have started development sometime in the early 90's.

The Playstation is a 32-bit powerhouse with a LOT of money put into its development. It was designed atleast a few years after the Jaguar with newer technology.

So it boils down to, the Jag is a weak 64-bit system and the Playstation is a very strong 32-bit system. This means in the end, the Playstation is more powerfull than the Jag, even though it is only able to compute half the bits as the Jag.

So um...ya. Then there's the fact that bits don't really matter much in the end. The bitness of a system doesn't really equate to the absolute power the system is capable of really.

Edited by kevincal

Because "bitness" has never been a sound argument.

For example, the Intellivision was 16-bit. My Sega Master System, NES and Atari 7800 are all 8-bit consoles ... and all have better graphics.

The PS1 came out a year after the Jaguar and had hardware specifically dedicated to 3D graphics that the Jaguar did not ... and more memory.

Actually the PS came out closer to 2 years after the Jag in the US I believe... Jag December 1993 and PS September 1995. Plus I think the Jag was in the works for a long time, much longer than the PS I think. I think that explains why the PS has better technology than the Jag even though it's 32-bit. Then again, bits don't mean all that much in the end as you said...

Also of course the main factor... MONEY. Sony had a HELL of a lot more than Atari lol... That's what attracted all the 3rd party developers to the PS and why the Jag had hardly any 3rd party support. Money rules the world unfortunately and Atari just didn't have enough to compete... Sucks.

Edited by kevincal

• 2 weeks later...

Well I found out yesterday that the Jag started development in 1991! Sony was still working on their SNES CD then... Which has nothing to do with the Playstation hardware... I'd say Sony didn't start working on the Playstation until sometime in 1993 at the earliest... Also like I said, Sony had untold amounts of money to work with whereas Atari didn't have much at all...

• 2 months later...
Well I found out yesterday that the Jag started development in 1991! Sony was still working on their SNES CD then... Which has nothing to do with the Playstation hardware... I'd say Sony didn't start working on the Playstation until sometime in 1993 at the earliest... Also like I said, Sony had untold amounts of money to work with whereas Atari didn't have much at all...

Not to disagree, but the Playstation WAS the SNES CD before Nintendo dissolved the contract it had with Sony and went with the Phillips CD-i instead.

True the "codename" had been Play Station since the 80's, but the hardware in the actual 32-bit Sony Playstation released in 1995 has nothing to do with the hardware in the "SNES CD Play Station".

This is from Wiki:

"After the collapse of the joint project, Sony considered halting their research, but ultimately the company decided to use what they had developed so far and make it into a complete, stand alone console. As a result, Nintendo filed a lawsuit claiming breach of contract and attempted, in U.S. federal court, to obtain an injunction against the release of the PlayStation, on the grounds that Nintendo owned the name. The federal judge presiding over the case denied the injunction and, in October 1991, the first incarnation of the new Sony PlayStation was revealed. However, it is theorized that only 200 or so of these machines were ever produced.

By the end of 1992, Sony and Nintendo reached a deal whereby the "Sony Play Station" would still have a port for SNES games, but Nintendo would own the rights and receive the bulk of the profits from the games, and the SNES would continue to use the Sony-designed audio chip. However, Sony decided in early 1993 to begin reworking the "Play Station" concept to target a new generation of hardware and software. As part of this process the SNES cartridge port was dropped and the space between the names was removed."

So I guess I was right on the money when I said, "I'd say Sony didn't start working on the Playstation until sometime in 1993 at the earliest... "

I was of course talking about the "Actual" released PS, and not the SNES CD PS...

;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well the best info is the fact that he said that there were 150,000 jaguars sold to that point. My guess is there are probably 200,000 jaguars in total. Which would make this a pretty rare machine.

Yep, but it would be nice to know the exact number. You are probably close though.

In total Atari only sold 250,000 Jaguars and 20,000 Jaguar CDs.

Edited by snakes3425