IGNORED

Multicart: Ants/Star Box

atari2600land

No, with 16k banswitched game, you end up with four banks at 4k each, 4x4=16. So that means I can do 12k worth of code, but only 4k worth of graphics, if only the last bank can hold graphics.

What about a 32K bankswitched game?

Same thing. 4k x 8 banks = 32k bin.

Edited by s0c7

Actually, less than 4K of graphics, because bB puts its own routines in the last bank as well, and they take up around 1.5K I *think* (maybe less, I forget), so I think you have a little more than 2K available for graphics. I'll investigate further and post my findings.

With bB 0.99c, using all standard includes, an "empty" program that contains only a "set romsize 2k" statement compiles with 849 bytes free, so that means bB 0.99c takes up 2048 - 849 = 1199 bytes for its own routines-- although it could be more or less than that depending on any kernel options you choose, any changes you make as far as which include files to include, or any customizations you make to the include files.

With "set romsize 4k," you get 2897 bytes free.

With "set romsize 8k," you get 4052 bytes free in bank 1, and 2789 bytes free in bank 2. This is also generally true when using bankswitching in bB-- all banks except the last bank have 4052 bytes free, and the last bank has 2789 bytes free.

MR