IGNORED

2600 Defender Arcade - Pretty Much Complete!

PacManPlus

I didn't play it for very long, so I didn't find any bugs. I still wish there was a way to make your ship explode in the big way it does in the real arcade version. Like maybe get rid of all of the sprites on screen and use them to make that big colorful fireworks-like explosion when you die.

Hey RT:

Thanks for the feedback...

Unfortunately, doing that is a bit beyond me at the moment :( although it would be a cool effect...

@AtariBoy2600 - Yes, I would like to use your label, and don't worry; a cart will be coming your way for the trouble. :)

Bob

Ok:

I went back down to the 8K version - I had to strip the 'hi-res' scanner that Supercat did and go back to the regular one that was in Stargate - minus the 'stargate' blip. The Mutants now do not disappear when you lose the planet. and it plays like it should, on the real deal.

Here is the update.

Bob

defarcad.bin

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 2

Thanks for coming back to this. I'm glad you had the time to look into this hack again. I wish there were more support for persevering hackers like youeself who can go so far. Even I'm having too many abandoned hack projects of my own pile up in my HD that may never be finished for lack of know how.

It's a very paticular hobby I suppose.

At least I get to play defender again even without the new scanner, it's still enjoyable. Thanks.

Hey RT:

I do apologize, I know that little extra touch means a lot to you - I'm just not at the level to take apart and do something completely custom (at least on the 2600) yet. :(

Bob

No problem, I just hope somebody does it one of these days, even if it's in a clone of Defender.

• 5 weeks later...

Hmmm... That got me thinking:

Is there a PAL version of Defender II / Stargate? I haven't seen it... If someone has one, maybe I can disassemble that one as well and see what the differences are between that nad the NTSC version... I'll of course also look myself, but it doesn't look like it's on this site, for starters. :(

Bob

Is there a reason this won't play on my Krok cart, or am I doing something wrong?

It doesnt work on the Kroko??? Ill try when I can and see Id love to play this

Edited by HatNJ

Thanks Nukey, obviously I didn't read any of the previous pages. I thought the Krok cart would tell when it wasn't going to work. Maybe that just goes by the ROM size. This version looks so much better than the original (in emulation)!

The Krokodile Commander software has a database of files that it uses to determine the bankswitching type. If a file is not in the database (which would be the case here), then you'll need to choose the bankswitching type manually.

..Al

Wasn't it stated already that you need to specify F6SC as the banking scheme?

Remember, I put it back down to F8SC in the last bin posted after removing the hi-res scanner and putting the old one back. Something in that modification was causing the mutants to disappear when you lose the planet surface (only on the real thing). :(

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus

As a side note, does anyone know why this 8KSC bin won't work doubled in a 16KSC board like the 'standard' ones do? I just get a black screen when I try it. :(

Or is there a way I can compile it with different options for a 16KSC chip natively?

Edited by PacManPlus

I did a 'diff' between the two assemblies, it doesn't look that bad. Mostly color changes and a few branches to different subroutines. I'm going to give it a shot :) I'm perplexed about this 8K/16K thing though...

The original game uses ROM all the way up through $1FF7, which means it hits the $1FF6/$1FF7 hotspots. When I did my version, I moved things so that wasn't the case.

I'm disappointed if there are problems with it, since the scanner was really nice. Maybe someone can look and see what I might have damaged?

Otherwise, the game also needs to have my Defender logo hacked into the beginning. That thing is just too cool not to use.