IGNORED

2600 Defender Arcade - Pretty Much Complete!

PacManPlus

Ahhhhhhh :-( I am missing it for some reason I get a screen that says Defender arcade then the scaner and one person at the bottom, no mountains no enemies and no defender ship. as I press the button I can hear it shooting and see it on the scaner but nowhere else. :-(

Maybe it is something to do with Stella X?

As Zach said, you need to hit 'tab', click on 'Game Properties', then change the 'Type' dropdown to "F8SC". Click 'Ok', restart the game, and you should be fine.

Thank you very much, but since I am using an old version of Stella X because the new version runs way too slow on my computer, I don't understand that Pentium III 902 HMz and 384MB ram on this laptop. oh well maybe it uses a lot of memory my memory is very taxed most of the time, when I am on here (the net) I am runing at 100% memory usage.

I guess I'll use Z26 I may even switch to Z26 but if I do I will be changing the colors of my hacks to look good on Z26, they look lousy on Z26 compared to on Stella where they are beautiful hacks!

Thanks for the help again

Wade

Cool Idea Dude!

I'll try and check that out... and while I'm doing that I'll see how your 'ship shape' looks :)

I have a funny feeling though, those lines are white for a reason... But I'll try and look.

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus

Cool Idea Dude!

I'll try and check that out... and while I'm doing that I'll see how your 'ship shape' looks :)

I have a funny feeling though, those lines are white for a reason... But I'll try and look.

Bob

I liked your hack very much but I changed my copy to the a ship that looks more like the arcade defender also the reserves.

I'll try to copy here what I have in bit hacker if you would like to use it.

oxoooooo

xxxooooo

xxxxooox

xxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxx

oxxxoooo

For the reserves I just shortened the ship one pixal.

oxoooooo

xxxooooo

xxxxooxo

xxxxxxxo

xxxxxxxo

oxxxoooo

This looks very much like the arcade ship I think, I wonder if it could be white though?

I just wanted to show you what I did to mine, this is your hack so you may have other ideas even better yet. :D

Wade

Hello:

Made some more changes:

Removed the 'line' under the humanoids (as per Lord Helmet) :) - it was part of the graphic!

Made the score font look like the arcade, with th exception of the number '1'; it shares a line with the number '7' so I had to change it.

I have made a new ship that (hopefully) looks more like the arcade as a combination of Lord Helmet's, Wade's, and my own design.

Binary to be posted later on tonight. (I want to look more for that flashing Stargate dot in the scanner... It's annoying me!) :roll:

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus

Ok , here's the updated bin. Still can't figure out that flashing dot in the scanner for the Stargate. Could really use some guidance or at least an explanation of how they do it. :(

I changed my mind obout the '1' (see above post). I kept the '1' so just now the '7' look a little funny.

Hope you guys like the ship shape. :)

Bob

defarcad.bin

Was there a problem with making the ship white?

The ship has to be the same color as one "slope" of the landscape; player shots have to be the same color as the other "slope". Background stars are the same colors as well.

Making the ship white would change the slopes to white as well. This might make them "overpowering", though they could be softened up a bit by adjusting the data table at $1E00. Bits 4-5 of each entry give the NUSIZx/CTRLPF values for each scan line. So changing those bits from "10" to "01" would make the planet less pronounced.

Lookin' good on real hardware :)

Humanoids are much better off without those lines, and the ship looks great :cool:

You're doing a fantastic job on this hack!

Changing the numbers to the original format was beautiful!

Thanks guys :)

Unfortunately yes, Making the ship white also makes the mountains white (they share the same color)

Bob

EDIT: Oops, didn't see supercat's post above mine until I posted... :P Hopefully Supercat can give me some pointers about the Stargate showing up in the scanner :D

Edited by PacManPlus

Ok , here's the updated bin. Still can't figure out that flashing dot in the scanner for the Stargate. Could really use some guidance or at least an explanation of how they do it. :(

The scanner is implemented using a small hires graphics buffer at Superchip addresses $F0CF-$F0F8 (six columns at seven bytes each). Dots are drawn into this area by code at $D8D0. This code seems to be reading off an object list. The Stargate seems to be object #15.

Lookin' good on real hardware :)

Humanoids are much better off without those lines, and the ship looks great :cool:

You're doing a fantastic job on this hack!

Changing the numbers to the original format was beautiful!

Thanks guys :)

Unfortunately yes, Making the ship white also makes the mountains white (they share the same color)

Bob

EDIT: Oops, didn't see supercat's post above mine until I posted... :P Hopefully Supercat can give me some pointers about the Stargate showing up in the scanner :D

Damn if only I can make this z26 emulator work on this linux but I cant and I have not play any emulators for over a year. I had to wait till I get my Xbox modded to play any of these hack and homebrew games. :x

The scanner is implemented using a small hires graphics buffer at Superchip addresses $F0CF-$F0F8 (six columns at seven bytes each). Dots are drawn into this area by code at $D8D0. This code seems to be reading off an object list. The Stargate seems to be object #15.

The resolution of the scanner may be doubled, btw, by the following edits:

08AE: Turn $4A into $EA (Turn LSR into NOP)

08B1: Turn $EA into $0A (Turn "LDA $DCEA,Y" into "LDA $DD0A,Y")

08B2: Turn $DC into $DD

08B6: Turn $EE into $0A (Turn "LDA $DCEE,Y" into "LDA $DD0A,Y")

08B7: Turn $DC into $DD

Aesthetically, I'm not sure this is an improvement. It makes more noticeable the fact that the scanner is updated rather sluggishly, and it also makes it harder to distinguish the humanoids. Given a decent hackable .asm of the game, I might like to redo the scanner code. At present, on each frame the code erases one of six "columns" on the scanner, draws the humanoid (if any), and then draws the monsters/Stargate (since the Stargate seems to always be object #15, changing the code to only draw objects #0-#14 eliminates it).

My preferred change to the code (possibly pushing things into another bank) would be to clear the scanner on every frame, set the scanner color to green on even frames and pink on odd frames, and then draw humanoids on odd frames, landers on even frames, and mutants on both. Other enemies should be drawn at more "interesting" intervals to create a flashing pattern.

My preferred change to the code (possibly pushing things into another bank) would be to clear the scanner on every frame, set the scanner color to green on even frames and pink on odd frames, and then draw humanoids on odd frames, landers on even frames, and mutants on both. Other enemies should be drawn at more "interesting" intervals to create a flashing pattern.

Here's my attempt at a scanner hack. I expanded the game to 16K, though it was rather a kludge since the existing games pretty much filled both banks. There would probably have been a better way to deal with the problem of the hotspot at $1FF6, but using the $F6 bank just to hold a few silly jump instructions seems to work even if it's nasty-looking.

Unfortunately, my code doesn't see the monsters at $F0A2,x. Not sure why.

MYDEF2.ZIP

I changed my mind obout the '1' (see above post). I kept the '1' so just now the '7' look a little funny.

Hope you guys like the ship shape. :)

Bob

Execllent work!!!

Yes your ship is better than the one I came up with, and the people do look much better not standing on platforms like they are waiting for the bad guys to pick them up! lol

Wade

WOW!

You guys have been busy since I went to bed last night. :)

OK. Hopefully final update (I know how I am, though - that '7' is going to bug me until I figure out a way to fix it) :-/

1) Planet surface made less pronounced as per Supercat (thanks!) :)

2) Planet surface (and therefore the ship) has been given more of an 'Orange' color - as per Lord Helmet (thanks!) :)

3) Thanks to Supercat and JohnnyWC, the Stargate blip on the scanner is now gone! :D

Enjoy!

defarcade.zip

So, when you're not making killer joystick mods, you code homebrew games?

Heh... I am Jack's green envy.

Thanks, man :)

You know the saying 'Jack of all trades, master of none'? That's pretty much me. I'm good up to a certain point, then that's it. :-/