IGNORED

Paction - WIP

atari2600land

The game is now called Paction, so there's not really a point still posting updates in a topic with a title that's wrong. Well, anyway, this build has collision with Pac-Person and a dot working. Haven't got the ghost/Pac-Person collision in yet. I have a couple questions, though: Why is it that sometimes, there isn't anything sailing by from right to left? If you wanna look at my code, the game starts at line 3009. The stuff above that is for the title screen.

pacman09.bas.bin

pacman09.bas

The game is now called Paction, so there's not really a point still posting updates in a topic with a title that's wrong.

You might want to rename the files, then. :)

Why is it that sometimes, there isn't anything sailing by from right to left?

It's because of the y positioning. With a missile or ball, y positions from 1 through 88 will show up on the screen. 0 will be invisible, off the top of the screen. And 89 through 255 will be invisible, either behind the score, or off the bottom of the screen.

3120 b=rand : d=rand
 if b>81 then b=b-70
 if b>161 then b=b-150
 if b>241 then b=b-230
 if d>81 then d=d-70
 if d>161 then d=d-150
 if d>241 then d=d-230

You're using d to control missile0y. In the code shown above, it looks like you might be trying to make sure that d is never greater than 80. But due to the order of the statements, it won't always work. For example, if d is 230, the statement "if d>81 then d=d-70" will change d to 160, which will be invisible, and neither of the other two statements will have an effect. You should reverse the order of the statements, like this:

3120 b=rand : d=rand
 if b>241 then b=b-230
 if b>161 then b=b-150
 if b>81 then b=b-70
 if d>241 then d=d-230
 if d>161 then d=d-150
 if d>81 then d=d-70

The same goes for g, which you're using to control missile1y.

Michael Rideout

Well, I'm going to change the title when I'm closer to finishing. Right now, I think I'm still in the early stages.

I tried what SeaGtGruff said to and by golly, he's right. Thank you. OK. Mystery solved. Here's a list of what I still need to do:

* activate ghost collision

* activate power pellet

* figure out how to make power pellet work

* make a game over screen

* put life counter on screen

* add an easter egg of some sorts

* change positions of pac-man and ghost on title screen because they're off just a little and I'm a perfectionist.

and there's probably lots more to do besides that that I can't think of right now. I think #3 on the list will take the longest time to figure out. As usual, if I get stuck on any of these, I'll post my question(s) here.

EDIT: Fixed the first problem, but this one still remains:

Why is it that when you eat the regular pellet when the power pellet zooms by, the power pellet stays on the screen? If you don't eat the regular pellet when the power pellet zooms by, it's gone (which is how I want it to be.)

paction3asortoffixed.bin

paction3asortoffixed.bas

Edited by atari2600land

I like the concept and the title screen idea you had, but you should get Batari's latest files so you can make your title screen using the pfheights command - if he's willing to give them out.

I don't mean to be a nag, but I think you've kind of pooped on the homebrew and bB forums by posting multiple threads about every game and game concept you have, why not stick to one thread each? It's hard to find anything by anyone else buried in all your multiple threads with the same topics. I enjoy your ideas, but not so much reading about them multiple times.

Sorry. I'll stop with the threads. I don't have any more ideas left for a while, so I don't expect to be making any more games until this one's finished, and it's probably going to take a long time because I think it's one of my most ambitious projects I've ever made.

I hope you don't stop with the threads, your game ideas are cool and it's pretty impressive how well you adapted to bB, I just meant the multiple threads with the same topic.

Good luck with finishing this game, and seriously you'd have a lot more to work with if you upgraded to the latest version; you'll never want to go back once you can create 'high resolution' multicolored landscapes and psuedo sprites.

EDIT: Fixed the first problem, but this one still remains:

Why is it that when you eat the regular pellet when the power pellet zooms by, the power pellet stays on the screen? If you don't eat the regular pellet when the power pellet zooms by, it's gone (which is how I want it to be.)

Fixed this problem but another problem arises: Why won't the power pellet come when the score reaches 28? I'm thinking that it might have something to do with h (the power pellet flag) but I'm just not sure. Anyway, here's a binary file and code if someone wants to help me play detective.

paction5.bas.bin

paction5.bas

Fixed this problem but another problem arises: Why won't the power pellet come when the score reaches 28? I'm thinking that it might have something to do with h (the power pellet flag) but I'm just not sure. Anyway, here's a binary file and code if someone wants to help me play detective.

Fixed this problem! A little note: I slowed down the speed for debugging purposes.

paction5a.bin

paction5a.bas