IGNORED

Four-Play in the Store!

Zach

Update:

Although an attract mode was a good idea, it was easier said than done. I decided that if Hunchy 2, Go Fish! and others don't need an attract mode, neither does Four-Play. I'm done adding new features at this point.

The manual is underway. I've sent the text to Nathan, and he is taking care of the rest.

I want to send Albert the final binary as soon as possible. Unfortunately I've got some weird problems with the vertical hold during one of the kernel changes. For a few frames, the picture slowly rises on the screen, and then everything operates normally. This problem shows on one of my TV's but not the other. It definitely does not show on emulators. :?

Edited by Zach

Although an attract mode was a good idea, it was easier said than done. I decided that if Hunchy 2, Go Fish! and others don't need an attract mode, neither does Four-Play. I'm done adding new features at this point.

Fair enough - I though that it might be easy to add, but it seems not. I am looking forward to getting this game on cart, and also seeing your next project take shape :)

Chris

Fair enough - I though that it might be easy to add, but it seems not. I am looking forward to getting this game on cart, and also seeing your next project take shape :)

Chris

Thanks Chris. I still need to get a PAL version together for you and others across the pond. It shouldn't be hard, but I do need to look up what PAL 60 is. As for my next project, it is probably going to be something already mentioned in my blog.

Edited by Zach

Thanks Chris. I still need to get a PAL version together for you and others across the pond. It shouldn't be hard, but I do need to look up what PAL 60 is.

PAL60 uses the same frame timings as NTSC (i.e. 60Hz), but the colours are mapped to their PAL equivalents. This is because most TV sets over here support a 60Hz frame rate, but they can't decode the NTSC colour information. It should be easy enough to convert the colours using this TIA colour chart.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I've fixed every bug that I am aware of, and just sent a release candidate to Albert. Next step is to do the PAL-60 version, which should be easy, but not trivial as there are places where the numbers used for colors have other purposes too.

The plan is to get Four-Play in the store in time for the holiday season. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I learned something interesting about VCS programming today. Some cameras can detect HMOVE lines even against a black background.

That particular shot was taken with a tripod and a longer exposure for better lighting (using a flash in a setting like this usually results in pictures where objects in the foreground are well lit). That probably has a lot to do with why you can see the HMOVE lines.

..Al

Four-Play is a classic board game that has finally made its way to the Atari 2600. Four-Play has easy to learn rules, but don't expect to become a master as easily! Red and Blue take turns dropping marbles into an upright board. The first player to align four marbles horizontally, vertically, or diagonally wins! Pit your wits against the computer A.I. at four difficulty levels, or play against a friend in two-player mode.

Nice. Definitely better than the matter-of-fact description I would have written. Did you study to write like that, or are you a natural?

(psst... check the cartridge size.)

Four-Play is a classic board game that has finally made its way to the Atari 2600. Four-Play has easy to learn rules, but don't expect to become a master as easily! Red and Blue take turns dropping marbles into an upright board. The first player to align four marbles horizontally, vertically, or diagonally wins! Pit your wits against the computer A.I. at four difficulty levels, or play against a friend in two-player mode.

Nice. Definitely better than the matter-of-fact description I would have written. Did you study to write like that, or are you a natural?

At least half of that was written by you. I just embellished it a bit. :)

(psst... check the cartridge size.)s

Whoops, that's what I get for using boilerplate text. :) Fixed, thanks. :)

..Al

Thanks, Bob! It had its genesis in the Strat-O-Gems contest. Fortunately, I lost that one so I was able to re-use the idea for Four-Play. ;) I think the Four-Play label turned out much better than the one I did there.

Incidentally, Albert - the picture of the cart near the top of the page has the label incorrectly cropped on it. You shouldn't be able to see off the bottom of the grid, or so much of the faceless marbles on the left. Let me know if you want me to send you a pre-cropped version of the label for that.

Edited by Nathan Strum

Incidentally, Albert - the picture of the cart near the top of the page has the label incorrectly cropped on it. You shouldn't be able to see off the bottom of the grid, or so much of the faceless marbles on the left. Let me know if you want me to send you a pre-cropped version of the label for that.

Thanks, I'll get that fixed..

..Al

I just bought this game along with Adventure II. hope I like it. It looked really cool to me.

I think you'll like it. :)

I had noticed that someone bought Adventure II and Four-Play. It's been fun watching the "also purchased" screen, and trying to deduce how many copies have been sold so far.

BTW, here are the binaries of the release. The NTSC version is very close to the beta version posted earlier, with some subtle bug fixes.

Fourplay_release_NTSC.zipFourplay_release_PAL60.zip

I'm kind of surprised that the Four-Play release didn't make the front page of AtariAge. Usually, new releases get mentioned there. :ponder:

I'm sure it had something to do with the multitude of things to do this Fall, such as the VGEXPO, and preparation for the holiday cart. I figure it will make the front page sometime before holiday season.

I'm kind of surprised that the Four-Play release didn't make the front page of AtariAge. Usually, new releases get mentioned there. :ponder:

I'm sure it had something to do with the multitude of things to do this Fall, such as the VGEXPO, and preparation for the holiday cart. I figure it will make the front page sometime before holiday season.

Yes, I will be posting it up there soon. It did get mentioned in the spam I sent out all the store newsletter subscribers a few days ago. It's also highlighted on the front page of the store right now. :)

..Al