IGNORED

Developers scared of Ps3?

AtariJr

Now Sony can use the Nintendo fanboys war cry, "QUALITY NOT QUANTITY!!!"

If that became a fact, I'd likely buy a PS3.

Yeah, you do like your failures. :D

Please explain to me, how do you know the future?

No I'm not saying the ps3 will fail. But AF said if they went quality over quantity (meaning they would have lost developers) he would back them. I was just pointing out he liked failure systems, and he does the 32X the n gage and now the jaguar.

Atari wont be making a game for for the ps3 now till either early or late 2007. SNK released today that they dont want to make a game for it till 2009-2010!!, practically when the system will be dead. It seems the high price point, lack of enough systems for launch, and sony's attitude in general about the system is starting to scare away developers who already have launch titles scheduled for systems like the Wii . (Dragon Ball Z Tenchitchi -atari, Metal Slug Anthology - SNK)

I don't think those are the reasons at all.

Atari has been trimming back a lot lately due to their lack of hit games in recent months, leading them to poor financial performance. They sold off the full rights to the Stuntman and Driver franchises recently, just so they could pay the electric bill and remain in business. You might notice that X-Box 360 has been out for over 8 months, and yet Atari still hasn't released a single game for it yet...does that mean X-Box 360 is doomed to fail, or is this more of a reflection of Atari's current diminished status? You make the call!

With regard to SNK, they've still got plenty of games in the pipeline for PS2. Keep in mind that the majority of SNK's games are conversions from Neo-Geo (which was a 16-bit system), and the ones that aren't Neo-Geo derivatives are ports from Dreamcast-level hardware. These games aren't even close to pushing the limits of the PS2 hardware. With that in mind, why should they bother making special versions just for PS3, when PS2 is perfectly capable of doing them justice? Don't forget that the PS3 system can play PS2 game discs...they're much better off making one disc that can be enjoyed by both PS2 and PS3 owners, rather than make a "PS3 exclusive" disc that only plays on PS3.

is what killed Working Designs

No they did that all on their own. I know sony rejected a ton of their games. But a lot of it has to do with the fact it took WD a generation to release two games. They also included a whole bunch of gaudy crap nobody really wanted. Why it took WD years to do what NIS can do in months makes no sense and is a major reason the company went under.

I liked the gaudy crap... :(

I agree they needed to make the gaudy crap optional.

And the final nail was when they went after Goemon. If you see the whole story, Sony'd rejected their final translation when Konami brought it up. Fast forward a few years, Working Designs has the license from Konami, has a translation ready, and... SCEA still thinks the game is mediocre crap, only now it's mediocre crap that's aged.

But they got more than 2 games out a generation. They had 4 PS2 games, with a few PS1 games interspersed in there.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/company/11304.html

They DID usually take their time, though. Which didn't help anything since it made the game look worse than the competition once it was ready for release.

So what are Square, Activision, and EA doing? Are they going to wait, too?

Square and Activision might not amount to a hill of beans, but EA's a pretty big developer.

Also, what's Sega planning? I'm not sure what to expect from them next. I hear all kinds of rumors about them from they're going under to they're making a next gen system that'll kill them all. I'd expect Sega to have some PS3 games planned, but if the rumors are true, then what's the point?

Edited by shadow460

Square and Activision might not amount to a hill of beans, but EA's a pretty big developer.

Last I heard, Squeenix was onboard.

Also, what's Sega planning? I'm not sure what to expect from them next. I hear all kinds of rumors about them from they're going under to they're making a next gen system that'll kill them all. I'd expect Sega to have some PS3 games planned, but if the rumors are true, then what's the point?

I think Sega's one of the people that's hesitant to mess with PS3 until it proves itself.

They've been very vocal supporters of how awesome the Wii is lately.

Edited by JB

I think Sega's one of the people that's hesitant to mess with PS3 until it proves itself.

Also, don't underestimate past grudges. Sure Sega's making stuff for Nintendo, but Nintendo was their rival in their glory days. Sony hype really hurt the Dreamcast when Sega had one foot in the grave (and Sony slid a banana peel under the other one). If Sega sees them as a potential sinking ship, they'll be happy to be the first ones in the 360 life boats.

Edited by Atarifever

Now Sony can use the Nintendo fanboys war cry, "QUALITY NOT QUANTITY!!!"

If that became a fact, I'd likely buy a PS3.

Yeah, you do like your failures. :D

Please explain to me, how do you know the future?

No I'm not saying the ps3 will fail. But AF said if they went quality over quantity (meaning they would have lost developers) he would back them. I was just pointing out he liked failure systems, and he does the 32X the n gage and now the jaguar.

You left out my love for the 7800 and SMS. :)

Also, don't underestimate past grudges. Sure Sega's making stuff for Nintendo, but Nintendo was their rival in their glory days. Sony hype really hurt the Dreamcast when Sega had one foot in the grave (and Sony slid a banana peel under the other one). If Sega sees them as a potential sinking ship, they'll be happy to be the first ones in the 360 life boats.

thats weird, i was under the assumtion that sega and nitendo were quite chummy, and in a recent interview said it was ironic that they were making games together on N's system considering they used to be rivals, but now they are having a quite a fun time teaming up. As far as the sony thing goes i hadnt heard about any bad blood between them for the next gens , but if there was i wouldnt be too suprised.

is what killed Working Designs

No they did that all on their own. I know sony rejected a ton of their games. But a lot of it has to do with the fact it took WD a generation to release two games. They also included a whole bunch of gaudy crap nobody really wanted. Why it took WD years to do what NIS can do in months makes no sense and is a major reason the company went under.

I liked the gaudy crap... :(

I agree they needed to make the gaudy crap optional.

And the final nail was when they went after Goemon. If you see the whole story, Sony'd rejected their final translation when Konami brought it up. Fast forward a few years, Working Designs has the license from Konami, has a translation ready, and... SCEA still thinks the game is mediocre crap, only now it's mediocre crap that's aged.

But they got more than 2 games out a generation. They had 4 PS2 games, with a few PS1 games interspersed in there.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/company/11304.html

They DID usually take their time, though. Which didn't help anything since it made the game look worse than the competition once it was ready for release.

WD only published two Playstation games in 2002? No wonder they went out of business. Did they even recoup their costs on those? From what I read Working Designs decided to put all their eggs in one basket (only publishing PS2 games) instead of working on all of the consoles. So when Sony didn't want their games, they were in trouble.

thats weird, i was under the assumtion that sega and nitendo were quite chummy, and in a recent interview said it was ironic that they were making games together on N's system considering they used to be rivals, but now they are having a quite a fun time teaming up. As far as the sony thing goes i hadnt heard about any bad blood between them for the next gens , but if there was i wouldnt be too suprised.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that there was bad blood between them and Nintendo. I guess I should have said the wii60 life boats. I wa saying sega wouldn't likely hate Nintendo as much, as Nintendo and them had been rivals years ago, while Sony had actually handed Sega their 2 biggest defeats (PS1 over Saturn before anyone else was even involved, and PS2 over Dreamcast before anyone else was involved)

With regards to Working Designs...

I loved Lunar as much as the next guy. I'm damn happy they brought Raystorm and Raycrisis to North America through their Spaz label. They took some chances on some niche games. In the case of Arc the Lad, they did all the work in order to make the brand name viable for Sony to use for later games.

However, their time is past. For example, Atlus seems capable of localizing a game in a tenth of the time it takes Working Designs, and, from my POV, they do it better. Even if Atlus didn't exist, most game producers have found other avenues to localize their games to North America. Working Designs just ended up being unnecessary.

You can blame it all on how "Sony destroyed them", but that's not really what happened. The market changed from the SegaCD games where they were the ascendant big-dogs of the RPG biz, and they never bothered to adjust themselves to the changes.

whos developing for mattel's hyperscan?

Heh. Yeah, you could buy 3 Mattel Hyperscans for less than 1 Nintendo Wii! It's proof that the next generation of consoles is doomed to failure. Come Christmastime everyone will simply pass the PS3, 360, and Wii by and pick up a Hyperscan.

:D

SNK released today that they dont want to make a game for it till 2009-2010!!, practically when the system will be dead.

Uncalled for....

:ponder:

Just trying to start a war?

No I think he's just pointing out anything the make will be at the tail end of the systems like after 3,4 or 5 years after it comes out.

SNK released today that they dont want to make a game for it till 2009-2010!!, practically when the system will be dead.

Uncalled for....

:ponder:

Just trying to start a war?

2006 + 5 years is 2011.... so yes.. 2010, practically when the system is dead... whats your problem? Hell even if its a popular as the ps2 that is 5 years.. if it's not as popular it will be less, so i think what i said isnt slamming anyone in any sense. Loosen up.

Edited by AtariJr

SNK has already stated in interviews that Sony's approval processes are getting in the way of PS2 games for them, so it doesn't surprise me that the PS3 would be even less of an option.

IIRC, Sony said that SNK could only release old 2D games if they were as multi-packs. From what I've heard, Sony is now saying for the PS3 if the game doesn't do HD natively it won't get approved, and alot of SNKs back catalog is not in highdef.

SNK has already stated in interviews that Sony's approval processes are getting in the way of PS2 games for them, so it doesn't surprise me that the PS3 would be even less of an option.

IIRC, Sony said that SNK could only release old 2D games if they were as multi-packs. From what I've heard, Sony is now saying for the PS3 if the game doesn't do HD natively it won't get approved, and alot of SNKs back catalog is not in highdef.

I would be willing to wager SNK is still at least a little bitter from the whole psx contract debacle.

Why is it then, that I played one of these and saw the other two? :ponder:

Sonic the Hedgehog

Virtua Tennis 3

Virtua Fighter 5

I wish all you fanboys would just stop with this nonsense, none of them will fail, as much as you wish for it to happen (who knows why you people do that :?).

"Look, my penis is bigger than yours!"

"Ha, but mine tickles better and is faster."

"My penis was cheaper, so what if it doesn't look as good?"

"Nobody will want your penis for christmas, they can't afford it."

"Haha, my penis has much better controls than yours."

"Yeah, but my penis has better internet capabilities."

:roll:

Why is it then, that I played one of these and saw the other two? :ponder:

Sonic the Hedgehog

Virtua Tennis 3

Virtua Fighter 5

I wish all you fanboys would just stop with this nonsense, none of them will fail, as much as you wish for it to happen (who knows why you people do that :?).

"Look, my penis is bigger than yours!"

"Ha, but mine tickles better and is faster."

"My penis was cheaper, so what if it doesn't look as good?"

"Nobody will want your penis for christmas, they can't afford it."

"Haha, my penis has much better controls than yours."

"Yeah, but my penis has better internet capabilities."

:roll:

and this is why i wont be buying any of these penises ever :P