JohnnyWC's next 2600 project

johnnywc

JohnnyWC's next project  

114 members have voted

1. 1. What type of project should I do?

• Orignal game
    • Port an existing game
    • Re-do/finish an exisitng game
  2. 2. If an original game, which of these sound the best?

• A hockey game
    • An action real-time strategy adventure game
    • A multi-level shoot-em up
  3. 3. If porting an existing game, choose from these:

• Mappy
    • Scramble
    • Super Pac-man
    • Major Havoc
    • Food Fight
    • Baby Pac-man
    • Zoo Keeper
    • Moon Cresta
    • Space Panic
    • Galaga (it'll be tough)
    • All these games suck!! :)
  4. 4. If re-writing/finishing an existing game:

• Finish Elevator Action
    • Rewrite Donkey Kong
    • Rewrite Wizard of Wor

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I love the game to death, but I couldn't believe how muddled the port is.

How many other games of the era managed a single-line kernel with an assymetric playfield, a multi-colored player, and a single-color player? And also, on a few scan lines, a missile and the Ball (used together to form the hammer)? I'd say that's pretty darned impressive for being the guy's second 2600 game.

I agree. I was very impressed back in the 80's when I first played DK for the 2600. It looked very good (except for Kong). Unfortunately, after I played a few rounds I got bored with it very quickly. Very repetitive, difficultly didn't seem to ramp up. I would imagine that expanding this game with more ROM, adding a few other levels, putting in good music, allowing for 30hz flicker for a more challenging game would go a long way. This would most likely be a hack than a rewrite.

Edited by johnnywc

Now something that would be really cool, and well within the 2600's abilities, and fairly straightforward to reproduce, is--

BOSCONIAN.

Hmm... I played this one for the first time a few weeks ago and it was pretty fun. Certainly more do-able than Galaga. :) I'd add it to the poll as a late entry but I don't know how... :(

Now something that would be really cool, and well within the 2600's abilities, and fairly straightforward to reproduce, is--

BOSCONIAN.

Hmm... I played this one for the first time a few weeks ago and it was pretty fun. Certainly more do-able than Galaga. :) I'd add it to the poll as a late entry but I don't know how... :(

Yeah, I wish I suggested that one. It would be interesting to see if the game could be ported to the 2600 with the voice intact. There's actually a clone of Bosconian on the 2600. I think it's called something like Mission 3000 AD or something like that.

Edited by BrianC

I love the game to death, but I couldn't believe how muddled the port is.

How many other games of the era managed a single-line kernel with an assymetric playfield, a multi-colored player, and a single-color player? And also, on a few scan lines, a missile and the Ball (used together to form the hammer)? I'd say that's pretty darned impressive for being the guy's second 2600 game.

I agree. I was very impressed back in the 80's when I first played DK for the 2600. It looked very good (except for Kong). Unfortunately, after I played a few rounds I got bored with it very quickly. Very repetitive, difficultly didn't seem to ramp up. I would imagine that expanding this game with more ROM, adding a few other levels, putting in good music, allowing for 30hz flicker for a more challenging game would go a long way. This would most likely be a hack than a rewrite.

Please do! I would love to see a Donkey Kong "ChampGames" improvement.

-Trebor

BOSCONIAN.

Yeah, I wish I suggested that one. It would be interesting to see if the game could be ported to the 2600 with the voice intact. There's actually a clone of Bosconian on the 2600. I think it's called something like Mission 3000 AD or something like that.

It is Mission 3000. I didn't think Bosconian would be possible but after playing Mission 3000 it looks like it would be. The only problem with Mission 3000 is the enemy movement seems off.

Note: as I discovered while playing this for the HSC, the difficulty does ramp and it does get very hard. It just takes forever to get to that point.

Unfortunately, after I played a few rounds I got bored with it very quickly. Very repetitive, difficultly didn't seem to ramp up.

Not to mention you never got any closure because you never defeated Kong!

I think even putting up a friggin large red "X" in his place during the victory music whenever you cleared the rivets stages would have sufficed.. :lol: but noooooooooooooooo... :P

Note: as I discovered while playing this for the HSC, the difficulty does ramp and it does get very hard. It just takes forever to get to that point.

OT, but does the difficulty ever ramp up in the Intellivision DK? If it does ramp up, it probably takes a long time. I would love to see a better DK made for the Inty too.

If John does decide to remake DK he probably should consider naming it "Krazy Kong" or "Monkey Kong" so as to avoid problems and so he will be able to sell it in cart form :cool:

If John does decide to remake DK he probably should consider naming it "Krazy Kong" or "Monkey Kong" so as to avoid problems and so he will be able to sell it in cart form :cool:

I'd think that selling Donkey Kong 2600 cartridges should be pretty save business actually :ponder:

Still, this is one of the projects of the list I'm not at all interested in. One way or another is DK available on most classic consoles, so it'd be a pretty redundant task compared to something considerably fresh like Bosconian for example.

One way or another DK is available on most classic consoles, so it'd be a pretty redundant task compared to something considerably fresh like Bosconian for example.

That's a good point, I suppose, but on the other hand, lots of people were happy when a decent version of Pac-Man was released on the 2600, even if it's a hack of Ms. Pac-Man. The same logic can be applied to DK, and so it all comes down to johnnywc's ultimate motivation: If he's coding new Atari 2600 games to put a smile on retrogamers' faces, then he can't go wrong with a redo of DK, as most people will thanks him for his efforts, much like they did for Lady Bug. Otherwise, if his goal is really to do something fresh on the 2600, then I say forget the poll altogether and do what you feel like, johnny! :D

I'd think that selling Donkey Kong 2600 cartridges should be pretty save business actually :ponder:

I'm not sure about that, but I would like for the game to be called "Champ Kong" since it was the title for johnnywc's excellent PC clone of DK.

Edited by BrianC

I'm not sure about that, but I would like for the game to be called "Champ Kong" since it was the title for johnnywc's excellent PC clone of DK.

Agreed. There's a big difference between a long lost classic game like Ladybug, and Donkey Kong. The Donkey Kong name and characters have been used in every generation of consoles and handhelds with Nintendo. Nintendo has been known to be aggressive and protective of their properties/titles.

IMHO, Champ Kong would be the absolutely perfect title. Heck, I'd love to see the whole line of Champ PC games brought over to the 2600... ;)

...But that's most definitely easier said than done :D

One thing's for sure, if "Champ Games" is involved with any release(s), you know it is of top quality. Ladybug is simply amazing, and whatever is next; I eagerly anticapte it.

-Trebor

I'm not sure about that

http://www.atariage.com/store/index.php?ma...products_id=614

Huh? I thought you were talking about a remake, not the original game. Reselling released official games is a bit different than selling an unofficial new version of the game.

Edited by BrianC

I'm not sure about that
http://www.atariage.com/store/index.php?ma...products_id=614

Huh? I thought you were talking about a remake, not the original game. Reselling released official games is a bit different than selling an unofficial new version of the game.

Actually you don't seem to get my point at all :lol:

I have a demo of some new Donkey Kong it looks really good but the full screen flashes a lot, it looks like the arcade I think. I don't know why that never went past demo, like look at the picture I can make, forget the picture I want the game. lol I voted for Scramble and fixing Wizard of Wor, I would like to see Gorf arcade someday with the Galaxians back. but when I was reading through the post and saw the real time adventure would be based on Dark Tower! I have that game, it is awesome way better then Dungeons and Dragons much less to keep track of and figure out. It was just if I remember soldier food beast that was it if I remember made it with much more action! So I would like to see that someday. :-D by the way I own all the champ games most I bought when they were new, excellent job on Lady Bug!!!!!!

Actually you don't seem to get my point at all :lol:

I understand that you don't want a DK port to the 2600, but I don't understand why you stated to obvious to me by showing me a link to a used DK for the 2600. You said that selling DK carts should be safe business. I assumed that you meant that there shouldn't be much trouble selling a NEW remake of DK, but the way you stated the obvious suggests otherwise. What exactly is your point?

Edited by BrianC

What exactly is your point?

Donkey Kong 2600 is already an item that is available everywhere, even NIB, so unless you make it too obvious, no company guy will ever notice it when there's a few different copies circulating. It's just no cause for alarm, as 2600 DK gets sold by the dozen through eBay and other places every day.