IGNORED

is buying the Wii a good idea at launch?

Dusk2600

im afraid that it will be like every other system that is released, has problems?

They always rush production and screw something up, i just dont want to buy a first generation system because of the usual bs problems. I have yet to buy a system on the release date because of this.

whats everyone else think?

Edited by Dusk2600

I got a Gameboy advance one day after US release, zero problems..... My GameCube I got about 2 months after release (not sure how often they update consoles, tho) zero problems. I agree with the others that posted, Nintendo has a good reputation for having tested and reliable products at launch. (I just wish they would have gone with a top-loading design for the NES at launch, tho!!)

Seriously, I am a Klutz when it comes to import modding, etc. If a GameCube could survive my 'handiwork', it says something about reliability, and robust design. I say go get a Wii at launch, ... and I Want one too.....not sure where I'd get the money, tho... :ponder:

Will the "download aspect" of the Virtual Console be up and running at launch? If it is, then it means dozens upon dozens of games available, some of them big classics (Super Metroid anyone?) in addition to the main launch titles. Could be a major selling point for people beside early adopters.

Will the "download aspect" of the Virtual Console be up and running at launch? If it is, then it means dozens upon dozens of games available, some of them big classics (Super Metroid anyone?) in addition to the main launch titles. Could be a major selling point for people beside early adopters.

yea it will be running at launch. IGN is quessing at least a dozen games, but it could be more. They said that since there are so many real games at launch, that they wouldnt be suprised to see as many virtual console ones available as well at launch or more.

I'd be hella more excited if they had a network you could play games across. Has there been ANY talk of this?

Really don't care about paying $50 for 10 Nintendo NES games I already own...unless I have the option of playing online against fellow games. Oh wait you said Super Metroid? What were the Super Nintendo's gonna be? $10? Same thing, I would pay $100 for 10 SNES games I already had...IF I could play online vs. or co-op with you guys. Other wise Meh, I can already play em and I don't have to pay a dime...Thanks anyways.

I'd be hella more excited if they had a network you could play games across. Has there been ANY talk of this?

Really don't care about paying $50 for 10 Nintendo NES games I already own...unless I have the option of playing online against fellow games. Oh wait you said Super Metroid? What were the Super Nintendo's gonna be? $10? Same thing, I would pay $100 for 10 SNES games I already had...IF I could play online vs. or co-op with you guys. Other wise Meh, I can already play em and I don't have to pay a dime...Thanks anyways.

yea but it will be much cheaper than that though. 10 is more like n64 game pricing... and besides, this is a chance for people to get the games that never came out as well, as well as ones we simply never picked up. Also, i can gaurantee you Mario Bros is going to look crisp as hell vs it being on your toaster NeS. Also, i never owned a T16, so this will be good for me in that respect as well. And considering some of the older games are 50 or more, ill be more than glad to pay 5 dollars for a versions of it.

yea but it will be much cheaper than that though. 10 is more like n64 game pricing...

Proof?

All the speculation I've seen (and that's all it is at this point) so far has been NES=$5 SNES =$10 N64 = $15

Have you seen otherwise?

I'm not so sure Nintendo isn't going to offering up anything 100% of the people on this forum couldn't get or don't already have in a file on their PCs for nothing. Unless you are just dead set on paying cash for an old ROM that you already either have on you shelf or in an emulater folder...I just don't get the excitment. Regardless if an original cart would cost you $500 x 50.

Unless, Like I said, you could go online with the game... not interesting.

The new controller on the other hand...I can't wait to try out.

It'll be keen playing Gamecube games in a whole new farout and wacky way. That's really all the Wii is offering me. That's why I'm not too excited. I get to pay $200 for a new controller. WWOOOOOT!!

Edited by moycon

I'll be getting one on launch. Even if the "gimmick" fails, I still have SSBB to fall back on. Where I'm living at, SSBM is the biggest game we play, and good god are we good at it. I'm getting insanely good on landing Jigglypuff's sleep...

With nintendo it is not like sony for products for luanch. If a Nintendo product does like the nes, it is not because of the launch, it the design of the system. Nintendo is the safest out there for launch.

The system people have problems with was the nes from Nintendo. Heck, everyone had problems with the nes at one time or another. After the nes, Nintendo is pretty good and has a good track record unlike sony. With sony your taking a chance to pick one up for luanch and after launch your taking a chance anyway.

yea but it will be much cheaper than that though. 10 is more like n64 game pricing...

Proof?

All the speculation I've seen (and that's all it is at this point) so far has been NES=$5 SNES =$10 N64 = $15

Have you seen otherwise?

I'm not so sure Nintendo isn't going to offering up anything 100% of the people on this forum couldn't get or don't already have in a file on their PCs for nothing. Unless you are just dead set on paying cash for an old ROM that you already either have on you shelf or in an emulater folder...I just don't get the excitment. Regardless if an original cart would cost you $500 x 50.

Unless, Like I said, you could go online with the game... not interesting.

The new controller on the other hand...I can't wait to try out.

It'll be keen playing Gamecube games in a whole new farout and wacky way. That's really all the Wii is offering me. That's why I'm not too excited. I get to pay $200 for a new controller. WWOOOOOT!!

yea ign said it might be less than they thought originally. As far as the v console goes, the only thing ill be using it for is buying games i dont have yet, like on the t 16, and all those awesome titles that were never released... like fzero 2 snes, starfox 2 snes, starfox 64 2, f-zero X 2, Earthbound 64/gc (cant remember which its for), and there was another... ill have to get back to you on it. So there are many uses. Also, they are trying to appeal to a new non-gamer crowd.. who might not have played any of those games. My mother lived through everything from pong to current, but shes only played pacman like 3 times in her life, duckhunt 10 times, and donkey konga 5 times. So someone like her might want to try some of the things they missed. Also, some people are neat freaks, and dont want 80 systems laying around. So they will buy those games instead of having all the clutter. Also, like i said before, for someone like me who doesnt want to spend 80 dollars on Final Fantasy III on the snes, i can just wait for it to be on v console for a few bucks... so even for poeple like me it will get use, and for others probably a lot more. Also, remember that this is their version of Live, its not the system, its just an added bonus. Its something that you can be happy your getting with your system, but dont necessarily have to use (ive never used live on my xbox for instance, but i still think what i paid for the system was worth it). And its not just a gc, but i wont get into that unless you want an argument to break out ;)

I agree that if the Wii interests you there's no reason not to buy at launch. Other than the NES issues (which didn't seem so bad back then, probably because there wasn't an internet to complain on) and the GBA being dark as night, I've never had any issues with Nintendo launch consoles.

I really hope they announce the Virtual Console pricing soon as I never had an N64 or TG16 and wouldn't mind playing some of those titles, depending on the price. And as for free on the PC vs. pay for roms on the Wii - I'll be paying because I would prefer a legit copy and also because I prefer to play on a TV over the PC, and my PC isn't in a location to do that comfortably.

I think becuase the games are older, people forget that they are still owned and profitable to a company.. they feel its ok to steal them. I understand if you already have a copy of the real game.. but going on a free shopping spree is wrong...

There is bound to be at least one issue. Overheating, case cracking, whatever. The incidence will be dead low just like any other Nintendo hardware issue. They will fix it for you though more readily than anyone else will. You'll probably even get an apology too.

Edited by figgler