IGNORED

is buying the Wii a good idea at launch?

Dusk2600

i thought the downloads for Wii were free

Why?

the downloads ARE free. The v console games are a different story though. ;) However, all the new characters, levels, etc that your system dloads by itself when the system is off are free of charge.

Edited by AtariJr

I do not think you have to worry much about a launch day console not being reliable. I will buy a PS3 and Wii on or as close to launch date as I can. No console manufacturer has a spot free record as far as reported problems.

My Gamecube is the only launch day console I have ever had fail, died Christmas day 2005.

Wow... I never thought Gamecube's would die!

I've had a PS2 since launch and it's still running fine for me.

Only system that has died for me is the Atari 2600... I killed the power supply once... replaced it... reset switch went later... then the whole thing died. We went and bought a new one at that time (for a quarter of the cost of the original!).

Wow... you must have played the Cube quite a bit?! What went on it? I thought my wife was going to kill my Cube years ago when the Animal Crossing game took over! LOL!

I do not think you have to worry much about a launch day console not being reliable. I will buy a PS3 and Wii on or as close to launch date as I can. No console manufacturer has a spot free record as far as reported problems.

My Gamecube is the only launch day console I have ever had fail, died Christmas day 2005.

Agreed. I wasn't being serious in my first post anyways, I was just poking fun. I have a history of owning any defective product that is manufactured so I am really, really used to the whole return and get fixed process. After a while, I just assumed everything will break shortly after I own it and it will be repaired. It's just common for me now and I seldom worry about reliability. As I type, 1 tv (1 yr old) needs a new light engine ($1500.00), the ipod Nano, that managed to work for 30 total hours in my 6 months of owning it, is useless and on it's way to be repaired, 2 broken GC and 2 broken Xbox systems, none were mine, all are under 1 year old, and I just got done with my 3rd fuel pump in 4 years in my truck. All of the fuel pumps were new, all suffered from overheating from bad manufacturing. I could go on with the rest of my list but really my only point is, just buy something if you want it and don't worry about it breaking.

Wow, that's quite a launch there.

I think I'll be waiting it out for 3 reasons.

1. To make sure the console works. Don't want a defect one, though Nintendo has always been known to make a damn good product.

2. To make sure the actual system is fun to play. No one is sure atm how Wii and it's Wiimote will work out.

3. I don't have any money right now. :(

Sounds pretty good to me. No reason to be afraid to buy from a company that hears the cries of .02 percent of their customers shortly after launch and agrees to fix the problem for free.

Yea I know. Remember when MS claimed 5% failure rate and they were liars? Good times, good times.

Can't wait for the PS3.

Is it really over 5%? I hadn't heard that.

Wow dragon quest AND rayman are confirmed launch titles? Kinda glad nintendo is holding back their games, doesn't look like I would have gotten them at launch anyway.

Agreed! I managed to pre-order Rayman and as soon as Dragon Quest is up for pre-order I will have that one marked.

Saving Wario (although this should be an early launch title as it would be another excellent introduction to the Wii controller kind of game) and Smash Bros, and Mario Galaxy and more for 2007 is great to keep the momentum going!

Wow dragon quest AND rayman are confirmed launch titles? Kinda glad nintendo is holding back their games, doesn't look like I would have gotten them at launch anyway.

Agreed! I managed to pre-order Rayman and as soon as Dragon Quest is up for pre-order I will have that one marked.

Saving Wario (although this should be an early launch title as it would be another excellent introduction to the Wii controller kind of game) and Smash Bros, and Mario Galaxy and more for 2007 is great to keep the momentum going!

is mario galaxy not a launch title? oh well, i guess it leaves me to buy some of the games that are really making me curious like Project HAMMER, Disaster, Red Steel, and Farcry..