IGNORED

Atari Anniversary Edition

Ze_ro

I bought this game for the Dreamcast a week or so ago, and I must say that it's very good! All the games run very well without any emulation problems. There are also a lot of extra pictures and some videos (interviews with Nolan Bushnel, video of the 2600 prototype of Tempest). If you have a Dreamcast, I highly recommend it.

For those of you who already have it, has anyone found any secrets yet? Perhaps a hidden game, or an extra gallery or something?

--Zero

Don't have any secrets to report, but I'll second a thumbs up for this disc. Digital Eclipse did a really nice job, no surprise there. As Ze_ro mentioned, nice emulation, an interview with Nolan, and lots of memorabilia pictures, many of which I had never seen before. I think they came from John Hardie.

I think they released this for other systems too.. but since the Dreamcast is the only system I have newer than a Jaguar, I haven't really looked into it. I'm pretty sure there's a Playstation version though.

--Zero

Hello!

I just became a memeber to this site and I'd like to say that it's great! I didn't realize the knowledge there is out there on such a quality system that I grew up on as a kid!

Anyway, I purchased the Atari Anniversary Edition from Wal-mart for about $15.00 and I LOVE IT!!! I have Asteroids for my desktop theme and the screen saver is AWESOME!! I highly recommend this game to everyone!

Does anyone know the differences between the Dreamcast and PC versions?

Is there anything the DC version doesn't have? I really only want to buy one copy and I usually prefer a console edition (of course I'll ignore the PSX version as I always do). But if there's enough extra stuff on the PC version I'll get that. (And the DC one later when it's clearanced like all the other DC titles. )

Well I bought both. The things I noticed right away are.

1. The pc version has little optional "extras" you can enable. Such as enhanced graphics in several games like crystal castles, "tracers" or alternative space background in asteroids, or even color vectors in Battlezone! I think they're really nifty actually Tempest also allows you to play Tempest Tubes as well..

2. The Dreamcast version has a zoom function where you can remove the border artwork and zoom the gamescreen forward and back to fill up your entire tv or not. I didn't notice it on the pc version however.

3. The multimedia User interface in both are different of course. I prefered the pc version.

Quite honestly... I recommend getting both of them It's truly a great package and one well worth supporting.

One "hidden" extra I didn't know that the PC version gives you is the addition of two fonts for your email (Not sure if these fonts are available in word, but I assume they are). I found this when I was writing an email to a friend using Outlook Express. The two fonts are "Atari Vector" and "Atari Raster"! The fonts are the same type of writing that is used on the game screens!

SWEET!!

quote:

Originally posted by NE146:

1. The pc version has little optional "extras" you can enable. Such as enhanced graphics in several games like crystal castles, "tracers" or alternative space background in asteroids, or even color vectors in Battlezone! I think they're really nifty actually Tempest also allows you to play Tempest Tubes as well..

You can play Tempest Tubes in the Dreamcast version as well... though I don't see any options for the tracers or color vectors unfortunately (Strange, it's not like this would have been a huge problem to put into the Dreamcast version). I'm not sure what you mean about enhanced graphics for Crystal Castles, though the Dreamcast version lets you alter the color scheme.

--Zero

Blah, I've been looking for an Atari font for a while, but the only place I've seen it is on PC cd's... of which I have none Anyone care to pass these fonts on to me? Must I suffer simply because I bought the Dreamcast version instead?

--Zero

As far as the "enhanced Graphics" option in the pc version go. It's different for every game but to quote the helpfile: "will be enhanced by color plus greater detail and shading".

Like for example when playing Crystal Castles, the graphics get sharper and more distinct almost as if you're playing a PC-remake... except of course, it's the real deal with a new coat of paint Or in Asteroids for example, "the graphics of Asteroids will be enhanced by a colorful space backdrop and objects will have subtle fading trails as they move."

Other extras are like in Asteroids, Battlezone and some others have a "Trippy Mode": "Trippy Mode is a fun new setting available exclusively in Atari Arcade Hits. In this mode, all objects on the screen have trails, the screen color constantly changes and your ship will be given a small amount of thrust periodically to prevent it from staying still. This option is also available in the Asteroids screen saver."

etc. etc. Almost all games have some kind of optional graphic enhancement or other. Of course it's all pretty much fluff, but still nifty to have

quote:

Originally posted by Ze_ro:

Blah, I've been looking for an Atari font for a while, but the only place I've seen it is on PC cd's... of which I have none Anyone care to pass these fonts on to me? Must I suffer simply because I bought the Dreamcast version instead?

--Zero

In case no one else did, I sent them to you.

Let me know if you got them or not.

Other extras are like in Asteroids, Battlezone and some others have a "Trippy Mode": "Trippy Mode is a fun new setting available exclusively in Atari Arcade Hits. In this mode, all objects on the screen have trails, the screen color constantly changes and your ship will be given a small amount of thrust periodically to prevent it from staying still

I remember reading in one of the old gaming magazines about a guy who had a laser and made small etchings in the asteroids monitor to achieve the same effect on the arcade machine.

Man if I still had those magazines today...

quote:

Originally posted by Rhindle The Red:

In case no one else did, I sent them to you.

Let me know if you got them or not.

Doesn't look like they got through Can you try sending to ze-ro@home.com instead? Perhaps atari.net is screwing things up. Thanks

--Zero

quote:

Doesn't look like they got through Can you try sending to ze-ro@home.com instead? Perhaps atari.net is screwing things up. Thanks

--Zero

Just sent them again (to the home.com address).

It's funny you posted this now. I got the original message bounced back not ten minutes ago.

quote:

Thanks, I got the fonts now Was there any error message on the bounced email? I've never noticed any problems before...

--Zero

Just something about the address not being recognized by atari.net.

Unfortunately, I deleted the message, so I can't say what it said exactly.