IGNORED

Texas Chainsaw Massacre proto?

Mr. Postman

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...m=uu.re%60j3674

I just won this auction on Ebay, what do you guys think? It isn't in a Wizard or Vortex case, but you can see an Eprom through the little window on the cart by the screw. Do you guys think this is a legit prototype or did I just buy the worlds most expensive repro cart? :)

My opinion, one word, Hozer.

No way in hell would they have used Atari shells to make protos at Wizard, they already took their shells from Telesys anyway and second of all, they used Apollo's EPROM PCB's (which always leads me to believe that Apollo and Telesys are extremely closely related). All TXCSM and Halloween carts are made with EPROM's. No need to go through the trouble of hacking up Atari PCB's.

Sadly, this thing is a boot. The game is 100% identical to the released version, and of course was not made by Wizard. I contacted the seller about a refund.

Any luck??

Having played with 2600/7800 rom images lately, I laugh at what concepts would have been brought to enact this "chainsaw Massacre" A blocky guy chasing after other blocky people in a blocky forest? LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly, this thing is a boot. The game is 100% identical to the released version, and of course was not made by Wizard. I contacted the seller about a refund.

Any luck??

After what seems like it could have been a million years, I finally got my refund today. Now I'll have to take that money and reinvest it in an official TCM cart for my collection! :)

Wasn't there a promo cart that sold a long time ago that had a different version of the game? I heard there was even different box art and everything but no one knows where the cart ended up.

Yep

http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/t...ainsawproto.htm

All I can remember is that it was bought by some TCM collector. It's probably sitting on a shelf in some guys TCM collection next to some bootleg videos or something.

Tempest

Wasn't there a promo cart that sold a long time ago that had a different version of the game? I heard there was even different box art and everything but no one knows where the cart ended up.

Yep

All I can remember is that it was bought by some TCM collector. It's probably sitting on a shelf in some guys TCM collection next to some bootleg videos or something.

Tempest

Thats right!!! Thanks Tempest.

I remember now. I always forget to check Atari Proto's website....what was I thinking??

Anyways, too bad that it's off the radar currently, I'm sure it will show up again someday though, I hope. He has no idea what he owns.

Anyone know what he ended up paying for it?

Yep

Tempest

Thats right!!! Thanks Tempest.

I remember now. I always forget to check Atari Proto's website....what was I thinking??

Anyways, too bad that it's off the radar currently, I'm sure it will show up again someday though, I hope. He has no idea what he owns.

Anyone know what he ended up paying for it?

IIRC it wasn't that much. Maybe $300 or $400? It's been too long for me to be sure though.

A little update on this, I may have found the programmer for this version of TCM (or rather he found me). He mentioned doing both TCM and Flesh Gordon(!), but it's not Ed Salvo so I think he may have done this alternate version. More information soon!

Tempest

Update: Flesh Gordon WAS finished (or nearly so), but Wizard refused to pay for the game and never released it. The actual story of the game is pretty wild, I'll post a little of what the programmer told me:

flesh gordon was finished. it sucked, sometimes literally if you know what I mean. it was a horrible game with a lot of sex and the payoff was the ability to hump using the joystick. there was nothing cool or interesting but then wizard video wanted what they wanted. there came a time when they stole a copy of the final or near final version which was sent for their approval. they refused to pay and they went to publish the game using the rom we sent them to approve. it was just about finished but it needed some finishing touches. we never did them. they never officially released it as I understand and that was no loss.

I'm still getting the details on TCM, but it sounds like there may have been a THIRD version of the game.

Tempest

Another tiny update. The man I'm talking to was responsible for the first version of TCM (along with another programmer). He doesn't know why Wizard scrapped his version and hired Ed to do the other one. He never even knew it had been published or that the second version existed.

Sadly he does not have a copy of Flesh Gordon anymore, but he thinks that there might be one floating around out there somewhere (as Wizard stole a copy).

Tempest

Another tiny update. The man I'm talking to was responsible for the first version of TCM (along with another programmer). He doesn't know why Wizard scrapped his version and hired Ed to do the other one. He never even knew it had been published or that the second version existed.

Sadly he does not have a copy of Flesh Gordon anymore, but he thinks that there might be one floating around out there somewhere (as Wizard stole a copy).

Tempest

Flesh Gordon and TCM Ver 1? Damn, I'd love to try out both of those games. Sounds like Flesh would have been just as much of a joke as the movie though. The TCM screens look like it could have been pretty fun. Hope the dude gets you some good 411 on it Tempest. :)

No it was pretty much the art work from the original box-office poster from what I recall.

Definately not a white box with a red x in it. :P

I had the same problem...IE would not load the picture from a link. So here is the photo. It really reminds me of the proto boxes I have seen for Halloween and TCM. I also attached an old photo I had of the Halloween box and a cropped pic of the TCM promo poster. I think the TCM box had the same image. I think wonder007 owns the Halloween box. Could whoever has the TCM box show a photo? The old threads on that box had links that are stale and no photos persist.

post-1335-1157728351_thumb.jpg

post-1335-1157728397_thumb.jpg

post-1335-1157728422_thumb.jpg