IGNORED

Wonderswan

slimy007

Mattel has the rights to release the WonderSwan in the U.S. since the b&w days. They've been talking about it ever since, but it doesn't seem likely. The failure of SNK to get a foothold with the NeoGeo Pocket Color (a more powerful system than the WonderSwan Color) probably sealed the deal.

If, by some wild chance, they do release it here, I would definitely expect a release of the Final Fantasy games. With the complete failure of Square to secure permission to port to the Game Boy Advance, they'd do an English update for the WSC without a doubt.

quote:

Originally posted by slimy007:

The NeoGeo never had eny relly need to have games if you know what i mean. The FF series is a need to have for any gamer. The neogeo may be more powerful but it was to expensive for what kind of games it had.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. SNK vs. Capcom - Match of the Millenium is a must have for any fighting fan. It's better than Capcom's arcade/Dreamcast companion game. Pac-Man is arcade perfect and Sonic Pocket Adventure is as good as any classic Sonic game.

As for price, the NeoGeo Pocket Color was right in line with the Game Boy Color and was not, I think, a factor.

As for Final Fantasy, there are plenty of gamers who don't like that series (I am among them). It may be a popular series, but it is hardly all-encompassing.

I highly doubt that the WonderSwan will come to North American any time soon. The Gameboy Advance would completely destroy it, and it would fail about as fast as the NeoGeo Pocket (Perhaps even faster with such a stupid name as "WonderSwan").

--Zero

As for Final Fantasy, there are plenty of gamers who don't like that series (I am among them).  It may be a popular series, but it is hardly all-encompassing.[/QB]

i agree with you completely i only have FFVII but i dont really like it you dont have to think to much in my openion its to simplistic

quote:

i agree with you completely i only have FFVII but i dont really like it you dont have to think to much in my openion its to simplistic

The older the game the better the game I think.. if you ever have the time/motivation.. get a hold of FF3 (FF6 in japan).. get an SNES emulator if you dont have an SNEES.. that is the best FF game ever i think.. just never never get mystic quest.. quoting my friend neill "its the ******* child of the final fantasy series, not even square wants to claim it"

I bought Mystic Quest back in 1993 the day it was released (I needed something to tide me over until FF3 was released!) I thought the game was very easy and "dumbed-down," but I still enjoyed the game and I proceeded to beat it several times. You gotta admit, the soundtrack is pretty good for an RPG.

Did anyone else besides me ever send in for that free 32 page strategy guide? I got it like 2 months after I beat the game, but it was a cool collectors item!

quote:

Originally posted by slimy007:

Speaking of squaresoft. I have heard of them switchig to gamecube but nintendo dosent get along with square. I bet they will go to the xbox because of all the PS2's hardware bugs.Has eny onw heard of a switch?

My understanding is that Yamauchi is still extremely angry with Square for not only moving to Sony, but doing so exclusively. But now, Square is deserate to get a license to produce for the Game Boy Advance. If you look at the excellent sales they have for the FF remakes for the WonderSwan, you can only imagine what they would make on the GBA. But Nintendo is playing hardball. They are demanding that Square produce for the GameCube if they want to produce for the GBA. Only fair, I think. The supposed reason that Square left Nintendo was that they didn't want to be on cartridges. This issue (if it really was a reason) is now dead with the GameCube disks being more that large enough for Square's games. But the blood between Square and Nintendo is still bad. Square, after all, went running to Sony when it needed an influx of cash to save them after the disaster that was the Final Fantasy movie. And Nintendo has proven that even with a weakened market share (partially caused by the loss of Square) they can make oodles and oodles of money. So right now, with Square's profile dimisished by the movie and Nintendo in a position of strength, Nintendo has every reason to be stubborn.

The XBOX seems an unlikely place for Square, however. As an American product, the people in charge simply would not jibe as well as the other two. The PS2 may be a problem to work with, but Sony will hold Square's hand through any difficulties (as Nintendo has with many developers for the N64).

Final Fantasy XI is apparently going to be a multiplayer online title. It has been announced that it will be multi-platform (which implies both XBOX and GameCube). But beyond that title, I think Square will stay where they are. It's safer and easier. But I also think their heyday is over. The release of Final Fantasy IX was basically a yawn and FFX is alreadt being grumbled about how it is 'more of the same.' Still, Sony will move heaven and earth to keep one of their franchise players after losing so many already (Lara Croft, Spyro, Crash, etc.)