IGNORED

Two new remakes

Nostalgic

While wandering a local Best Buy yesterday, I found two new remakes from Infogrames (thus the Atari connection) in the PC game racks: Dig Dug Deeper and Ms. Pac-Man: Quest for the Golden Maze (I think).

The screen shots of Dig Dug Deeper look at first like a graphically souped-up world-based version of the original, but there is a 3D board there, so there might be some scary deviations in store. The new Ms. Pac-Man looks to be much the same as Pac-Man: Adventures in Time, with primarily 2D boards with a 3D perspective.

Has anyone tried out either of these two games?

(Strangely, despite Atari distributing the Dig Dug arcade game many years ago, Infogrames did not put the Atari brand on Dig Dug Deeper.)

• 2 weeks later...

I heard a radio commercial today for Ms. Pac-Man: Quest for the Golden Maze, which also mentioned Dig Dug and Combat at the end. The commercial was actually amusing and caught me by surprise.

I believe I saw one of these titles in Fry's yesterday, but it didn't dawn on me that this was a *new* game, so I stupidly didn't pick up the box to look at it. I'm absolutely terrified about going shopping this weekend, so I think I'll wait until next week to look for them at Best Buy or another friendly store that sells software.

I did see an Atari title for the Xbox yesterday, it was the Transworld Surf game. I'm not into surfing, but the screenshots do look pretty good. I have no plans on picking up an Xbox, so I probably won't be playing this one anytime soon. Perhaps when they release the PS2 titles I'll look at those (at the very least I'll have to rent them). I wonder if they have plans to do any GameCube titles.

Very strange seeing this flood of Atari titles for just about every platform under the sun.

I saw both of them Wed. The Ms. Pac-man looks ok, but she has LEGS now! . It IS just a 2-d maze in 3-d. I'm not sure its worth the smack (I'd probably have more fun with the original)

As for the Dig Dug. It actually looks good. Also in 3-D, I think the extra dimension could add some interesting twists to the game. I'm curious as to how different it is. The back screenshots show Dig Dug in Frozen caves and digging under houses and such. Could be good....

2 cents Stan