IGNORED

X-Box With Mame, why not 2600

atari_man

Ok Now if the X-box can handle to run a modified version of Mame on it, why not port a spify new version of a Special Atari Emulator with all of the classics, it wouldn't be that hard, then some how make pirated x-box cds, and start selling them on a black market, some one could compile all of atari's history. This is a request to any one out there who has that much time. God knows i don't

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by Ze_ro:

I'd still like to see an Atari 2600 version of MAME

If they can port MAME to the Xbox, it's only a matter of time before other emulators are ported. However, I must ask the question: Is it worth it to emulate an Atari 2600 on *another* console that's going to be hooked up to a TV anyway? I can see MAME, since not everyone can have 1,000 different arcade games in their living room. It just seems strange to me to emulate a 2600 on an XBox, where the emulation will never be *perfect*, and you can get a 2600 dirt cheap.

I guess if you want to minimize the number of consoles plugged into your television that's a good reason. As is being able to put all the 2600 games on a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM (although this can be accomplished with the Cuttle Cart also, although I'm sure selecting games would be easier with a menu on the Xbox). I'm not sure how you'd play games requiring paddle or keypad controllers. Paddles could probably be emulated fairly well using the analog sticks, but the keypads pose a problem.

..Al

I think the main reason to use a console emulator is so that you don't have to have every system hooked up. I find the NES and SMS emulators for the Dreamcast are close to 100% perfect, and that beats the heck out of dragging out the old consoles. Plus you can play really rare NES games like Tengen Tetris and Trolls on Treasure Island, if you haven't found the carts yet.

quote:

Originally posted by liveinabin:

Um, I think the only thing you could emulate ON a 2600 would be maybe a PDP1

Not even. It takes a huge amount of processing power to actually emulate anything at all. The only things the Atari has a hope of emulating are a doorstop or a paperweight.

And yeah, I did mean MAME running on a 2600 I've actually seen a mock label around the internet for this somewhere.

--Zero