IGNORED

Robotron 64

Ze_ro

Well, this game is not really Atari, and it's actually a little dated now I suppose.. but I picked up a copy of Robotron 64 for the N64 the other day, and I'm happy to say that it's a pretty good game! It's all 3D of course, with multiple camera angles (some of them are useless of course, but most are okay). The game has some nice techno music in the background (it's no Tempest 2000, but it's still good), and it still has the same feel to it as Robotron. You can adjust the speed and skill level to your liking, and there are up to 200 levels in the game!

In fact, my only complaint is that (as far as I can tell) the original game isn't hidden in this one Has anyone else tried this game yet?

--Zero

Hmmmmmmmm, I seem to recall this game coming out on more than one platform and it being revised a bit for the second one. Okay, I just did some looking and it appears it came out on the Playstation first as "Robotron X". This is the version of the game that I purchased and I remember not enjoying it, mostly because the camera angles didn't allow you to see enough of the playfield. I then later played Robotron 64 and it is much improved in this department, and was a bit more fun than Robotron X. It was a little too easy, in my opinion, but I still had fun blasting away. I'll have to pick this up sometime for the N64 if I can find a cheap copy somewhere. Shouldn't be too hard these days.

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by Albert:

It was a little too easy, in my opinion, but I still had fun blasting away.

If it's too easy for you, try cranking up the speed... there's 10 speed settings!

Originally posted by LemmiVery true, but i wont buy a N64 game without the manual, i see tons of them without manuals

Sadly, this seems to be especially common for systems that are targetting at young kids (like the N64)... they seem to lose the manuals more than anyone else. I'm glad the N64 doesn't use overlays! Luckily, most games are easy enough to just pick up and play... especially Nintendo's games, since they pretty much send you through a tutorial each time you play.

--Zero

quote:

Originally posted by Ze_ro:

If it's too easy for you, try cranking up the speed... there's 10 speed settings!

Huh... well... I just tried cranking the speed up to 10, and I was still able to beat 8 full levels without losing a life, and I'm no expert at Robotron, so I guess this doesn't make it that much harder.

There's 200 levels to the game though, and I imagine the later ones are MUCH harder than the first 8.

--Zero