IGNORED

First VCS game code project - 'Bounces' seem viable?

sack-c0s

Just a bit of background - I've been doing 6502 since I was 12 (makes it around 13 years now), handy with a C64 and have branched out into the 8-bit atari on occasion but been thinking of doing a VCS game for ages. I'm aware of what the hardware is capable of (well.. i read the docs anyhow) and although I think nothing of border removal and extra colour modes on the C64 this looks like its going to be a world of pain needing 'advanced C64 coding tricks' just to *survive*.

But if it doesn't kill me it'll make me stronger :)

now the one I've been toying with is 'Bounces' by Denton Designs.

Bounces4.gif

http://homepages.tesco.net/~parsonsp/html/bounces.html has a good description if you haven't played it.

my first feeling is that its a pretty static simple playfield, 2 players, a ball and not an excessive amount of per-frame calculation for game logic. Sort of pong between 2 knights on bungee cords. Putting the ball in a hole above the opponent scores points and hitting the other player floors them so the chord drags them back to the wall. Also has a warlords-esque catch-throw mechanic to it.

so.. for those who have coded a game before - is there anything showstopping or potentially difficult I may have overlooked? As I say I chose a game I've enjoyed playing that looks suited to the hardware but being a first project I may have missed something.

My second problem is that I'm the opposite of most of the 'new game idea' posters - I can code but I can't draw. Doubly so given the restrictions of this machine. If anyone would like to put together any suggestions of technically viable screen layouts (keep in mind this is a first project, so although I'll take 'theoretically possible with ninja coding tricks' suggestions it may be best to scale things back a tad) then it'd be a great help.

Any other random things you feel you may want to tell me at this point of use will also be taken onboard :)

I downloaded the game and I'm trying to play it with VICE - it loads fine but I can't get a game to start. ???

Based on your description, it looks completely doable for the VCS. The only real difficulty will be drawing the elastic cords (or whatever) - probably have to do that with the playfield, which will require an asymmetrical playfield. Not too difficult, though. ;)