IGNORED

Best PC-based Assembler package for C64/128

tjb

Forgive me if this is a bit off topic. (I know, I have some nerve posting Commodore questions on an Atari Site!) I was wondering if I could get some recommendations on a good PC-based Assembler to use in C64/128 programming. I found a number of them here (You have to scroll down a bit):

http://www.fairlight.to/tools/pc.html

For the Atari 8-bit I use and very much like ATASM. Is there something on par for the C64/128? Also, are there any good C64/128 sites similar to AtariAge? I was wondering if there is much homebrew development going on in the Commodore community.

-tjb

P.S. Please direct all flaming arrows to /dev/null :)

I started off (on my current project) doing a mix of C and assembly using CC65 and later moved to pure assembly. I then switched to Atasm but now I can't recall the reason :?

It seems like the Atari crowd is more active in the homebrew scene. I'd like to look into porting my current project to the C64/C128. In particular the 128 has a "high res" mode of 640 x 200. I'd love to see what an Asteroids clone would look like in that mode!

-tjb

• 4 weeks later...
It seems like the Atari crowd is more active in the homebrew scene.

CSDB currently lists 918 Homebrew game releases and 133 WIP games.

This is my favourite project right now: Eye of the Beholder I C64

Maybe they can't compete with the activities of the Atari crowd, but there's impressive C64 projects to be found as well I think.

CSDB currently lists 918 Homebrew game releases and 133 WIP games.

This is my favourite project right now: Eye of the Beholder I C64

Maybe they can't compete with the activities of the Atari crowd, but there's impressive C64 projects to be found as well I think.

Wow, evidently there is alot going on in the C64 homebrew scene. I just didn't know where to look! I've been looking for the Commodore equivilent to AtariAge for some time. I've asked Commodore specific questions but usually get little or no response. Could it be because I'm asking on an Atari site? :)

-tjb

Wow, evidently there is alot going on in the C64 homebrew scene.

Yep, there is. :D Not totally all games either, a lot of graphics, demo, and music releases are done too.

I just didn't know where to look! I've been looking for the Commodore equivilent to AtariAge for some time. I've asked Commodore specific questions but usually get little or no response. Could it be because I'm asking on an Atari site? :)

If you want an active AtariAge like forum there is Lemon 64 which also has a moderately sized games database (for a large one try the Gamebase64 site).

There is a forum for CSDB which Cybergoth linked to, but that's more Scene oriented.

Enjoy!

Garak

Like Garak said, definitely check out the forums at http://lemon64.com/

Although it's not all that active, I also recommend the Secret Society of Commodore Coders. All C= related programming questions answered, guaranteed! :)

Commodore game coders just don't talk about what they're doing as much as the Atari guys do :) They're plenty active with actual releases. Check out Game Over(view). They've done a review of every new C-64 game release in the last 2.5 years or so since they started... believe it or not, it's approaching 200 releases (of course, many are quite poor, but there's many gems in there too). G.O.(v)'s comments get a bit crude at times, but his heart's in the right place.

Back on topic, cc65 or dasm are good cross-assembler choices. You might also want to check out xlang which lets you mix asm and a higher level language too. Check out the cross-development version (2nd download link).

Although it's not all that active, I also recommend the Secret Society of Commodore Coders. All C= related programming questions answered, guaranteed! :)

I also recommend the SSOCC forum too. :)

You might also want to check out xlang which lets you mix asm and a higher level language too. Check out the cross-development version (2nd download link).

I've done a few small things in this. Even if you don't use any assembler in it, the "Slang" language is pretty neat.

Well tjb, now you have a few choices to choose from assembly to C to Slang to sites. Have fun! :D

Garak

Edited by Garak

Oh, cool I didn't know that. Might be helpful when I run into C64 troubles with my new project! :)

Wasn't there a C=Hacking forum as well a few years ago? At the fridge?

believe it or not, it's approaching 200 releases

Half of them from Richard? ;)

Oh, cool I didn't know that. Might be helpful when I run into C64 troubles with my new project! :)

Nifty :) The couple times I've tried disassembling a C64 game, it's been a real pain. Just 4k or 8k is bad enough :)

Wasn't there a C=Hacking forum as well a few years ago? At the fridge?

I think it was just more of a guest-book type thing - everybody adding comments on a single page.

believe it or not, it's approaching 200 releases

Half of them from Richard? ;)

Heh, well, he's probably responsible for 20+ of them.

Nifty :) The couple times I've tried disassembling a C64 game, it's been a real pain. Just 4k or 8k is bad enough :)

Especially since so far I didn't find a good cross-disassembler that will properly recognize C64 firmware symbols. Best I encountered so far was one from White Flame some 5-6 years ago, but it runs in a weird DOS mode that doesn't seem to work anymore on my current graphics cart.

(I used it back then to rip the High Noon sprites for Gunfight :D)

Seems like the Atari guys are really ahead here with marvellous tools like Distella for the 2600 and DIS6502 for the 8-Bits ;)

(Sidenote: Funny enough, but I think the lack of proper C64 "cross" Tools comes from this weird C64 guys habit of actually programming WITH C64s :lol:)

I hopefully don't need to disassemble the game in all depth, just far enough to get it ported. I plan on fixing a few bugs though. For example I hate it that the turtles can kill you when you're inside your Ranger house.

• 2 weeks later...

In particular the 128 has a "high res" mode of 640 x 200. I'd love to see what an Asteroids clone would look like in that mode!

I was working on an Asteroids clone as a followup to Alien Invaders. I had the asteroids and ship flying around, but lost interest in finishing it when I bought my Amiga.

Also, the VDC could generate 640x400 by turning on interlaced mode. Not all monitors supported interlaced, but mine did and I wrote a program to turn it on & patch the kernel to support 80x50. It was really nice for coding, especially once I discovered that wearing polarized sunglasses reduced the flicker.

• 2 months later...

I think its also down to emulator accuracy on the c64 - you're hard pushed to do something that will break VICE no matter how hard you push the timing tricks, atari emulators haven't quite hit the same level of accuracy yet.

That and turbo assembler and an action replay isn't a bad setup on the real hardware :)