IGNORED

Need a Better Battlezone Arcade!

Atariboy2600

Thanks but again I dont know anything on how to install any linux programs and also I dont have any 2600 emu running on here for years and he try to install one but again for some resion this linux needed the right linux kernel (dont know what that mean) to run any emulator on this Debian linux that Im using. Sorry :(

I am getting closer this looks much more like arcade Battle Zone, unfortunatly for now I can not find the location to change the tank color.

So I need to at least for now keep the ground in shades of blue.

The mountains look like the vector green lines, the tanks look better now too i found a whole bunch I did not hollow out from before.

black forground and sky.

Another thing I did not take into account is how much the color changes in this game from day to night to snow to fog to rain all of these have different color setups that need to be found so that when the weather or day changes to night it will still look the same.

Anyway enjoy here is my newest version.

Wade

ROBOTANK_hack_WIP_8_26_06_wc.BIN

Edited by Pac Munchkin

I am getting closer this looks much more like arcade Battle Zone, unfortunatly for now I can not find the location to change the tank color.

The mountains look like the vector green lines, the tanks look better now too i found a whole bunch I did not hollow out from before.

black forground and sky.

Another thing I did not take into account is how much the color changes in this game from day to night to snow to fog to rain all of these have different color setups that need to be found so that when the weather or day changes to night it will still look the same.

Wade

Cant paly it on my computer. Any screenshots? :ponder:

black forground and sky.

Wade

Well since you know how to load up screen shots if you tell me how you do it. I'll load some up. I click on insert image and it asks for a URL, it is on my hard drive not some web page so I can never post any screen shots.

I have no idea how you do it?

I'll upload the screen shots as a file then you can download them to view i guess that would work?

Wade

post-9756-1156680316_thumb.png

post-9756-1156680341_thumb.png

To be honest this is one tough hack, I am having lots of problems finding the colors because the screens change, if I change something I need to play the game through day night fog rain and snow to see if anything changed.

Nuckey if you have the source code to this, I know you have good source code I can actually understand. Could you please help me out?

Wade

Things to do find that brown as the day starts turning to night and that gray and turn them black, find where the mountians turn black and switch it back to green. Find the tank colors turn them green, then turn the ground to black, that is easy I know where that is at. That is only the main day screen, then I need work on the rain fog and snow screens.

Make them all look the same so there is no change just like Arcade Battle Zone does not change.

Wade

black forground and sky.

Wade

Well since you know how to load up screen shots if you tell me how you do it. I'll load some up. I click on insert image and it asks for a URL, it is on my hard drive not some web page so I can never post any screen shots.

I have no idea how you do it?

I'll upload the screen shots as a file then you can download them to view i guess that would work?

Wade

COOOOL! So far sooo good :D

Thanks so much, but I really am runing into a lot of problems finding the colors I need, everything I changed was pretty easy to find but it is getting hard now. I am at the point of changing every 32 into some other number to see if that yucky brown back ground mountains (when changing to night time) change color and changing every zero to see if the tanks change color.

That may take a long time.

Wade

• 10 years later...

I attached a zip file showing the different parts of battlezone individually. A few thoughts about your mock-up:

- The background (which is a solid color all the way across the screen) is used to create the bottom part of the mountains. This is why the tanks in the foreground can move over the mountains. Changing the mounains to be vector-hollow would probably require large changes to the game.

- A large part of the tank [EDIT: tank that you drive] appears to have also been drawn with the background. It would be difficult to hollow out for the same reasons.

- Changing the [EDIT: enemy tank] tank graphics would very easy.

- Changing just the colors (sky:black, ground: black, mountains:green, tank: green) of the background would be pretty easy with a commented disassembly.

Hi R Jones, At what address are the Missile, Other Missile, Player, and Other Player located at?

• 2 weeks later...