IGNORED

Games still missing in action...

Attached is our updated list of Atari 8-bit games that have not been dumped yet, some 1,300 programs! Though by no means complete as it mostly concentrates on commercial software, it should persuade you that there are still many lost titles on old tapes and disks in need to be archived.

We'd like to convince you that the preservation of old software for our platform is an essential task and shouldn't be overlooked. Please check your tapes / disks and see if you can submit any of these titles before it is too late and the software becomes lost forever. Note that the programs don't have to be from originals, it's obviously better to have a copy in cracked form than nothing at all.

Although we have received some fantastic contributions lately, the feedback we get in this area is, generally, pathetic, especially compared to similar sites such as GB64 or World of Spectrum. While our site certainly isn't perfect yet, we hope you'll jump on the bandwagon and help us with our ambitious project so we can rescue these rare titles for the community.

Additional note to Chilean and Canadian readers: we are looking for official release lists of software from these countries so please get in touch if you have some information! If somebody has issues of the Canadian magazine ROM, please let us know as well!

Thanks in advance!

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

MIA_January_2006.zip

Attached is our updated list of Atari 8-bit games that have not been dumped yet, some 1,300 programs! Though by no means complete as it mostly concentrates on commercial software, it should persuade you that there are still many lost titles on old tapes and disks in need to be archived.

We'd like to convince you that the preservation of old software for our platform is an essential task and shouldn't be overlooked. Please check your tapes / disks and see if you can submit any of these titles before it is too late and the software becomes lost forever. Note that the programs don't have to be from originals, it's obviously better to have a copy in cracked form than nothing at all.

Although we have received some fantastic contributions lately, the feedback we get in this area is, generally, pathetic, especially compared to similar sites such as GB64 or World of Spectrum. While our site certainly isn't perfect yet, we hope you'll jump on the bandwagon and help us with our ambitious project so we can rescue these rare titles for the community.

Additional note to Chilean and Canadian readers: we are looking for official release lists of software from these countries so please get in touch if you have some information! If somebody has issues of the Canadian magazine ROM, please let us know as well!

Thanks in advance!

--

Atari Frog

I'm affraid you shouldn't expect anything from A8 "communnity". It's dead.

F.

Dead?! I'm not so sure about that; things seem to be pretty busy (new MIO release, new game development, new hardware in the works, etc) considering that the platform is ~27 years old now.

The thing to remember is that the Atari 400/800 was (in terms of sales) in second or third place in much of the world for much of its lifetime, so it's only logical that the C64 archive sites get more activity. There is more C64 hardware and software in the hands of more people, so there are more people to collect and send in new submissions. That shouldn't reflect badly on the A8 or the willingness of the community to participate, and it shouldn't be a source of discouragement. You've already got a very large percentage of the A8 library available on the site (and you deserve congratulations for building such an exhaustive collection), and a lot of what is left seems to be rarer or more obscure titles that will take longer to turn up. It is important to remind people to keep sending them in, though. Edited by jaybird3rd

It seems some software of this list appears in the Fandal or Homesoft site.

From the right publisher? In the correct format?

Even I had some of them in my diskettes collection....

Had or have?

Are you sure dont have Pharaoh's Curse for example?

There are two Pharaoh's Curse games on the Atari, they have nothing in common... I don't know who published that one.

--

Atari Frog

You're looking for tapes and disks right, not cartridges? If so, I have the following:

Atari (US)

- Conversational French

- Conversational German

- Conversational Italian

- Conversational Spanish

- Graphing

- Juggles' House

- Juggles' Rainbow

- Kingdom [original CAS format only]

- Mean 18 (cartridge rom)

- Statistics I (maybe, I'll have to check)

- Talk & Teach tapes (I have lots of them)

- Touch Typing (maybe)

Tempest

- Conversational French

- Conversational German

- Conversational Italian

- Conversational Spanish

- Graphing

- Juggles' House

- Juggles' Rainbow

- Kingdom

- Mean 18

- Statistics I

- Talk & Teach tapes

- Touch Typing

Actually, tapes would need to be converted to CAS format. These programs are fairly easy to get but they haven't been imaged yet.

I know very few people have seen Mean 18 in action, do you happen to have the ROM image?

--

Atari Frog

You've already got a very large percentage of the A8 library available on the site (and you deserve congratulations for building such an exhaustive collection), and a lot of what is left seems to be rarer or more obscure titles that will take longer to turn up. It is important to remind people to keep sending them in, though.

About half of these rarer titles are just gathering dust in cracked disk collections, mostly in the US. If people don't check what they have or don't archive anything, these games will NEVER turn up.

We feel like beggars harassing people and it's really depressing :sad:

--

Atari Frog

About half of these rarer titles are just gathering dust in cracked disk collections, mostly in the US. If people don't check what they have or don't archive anything, these games will NEVER turn up.

We feel like beggars harassing people and it's really depressing :sad:

--

Atari Frog

You are doing a great service, please keep up the good work of harassing us for the missing software :)

I know very few people have seen Mean 18 in action, do you happen to have the ROM image?

Yep I have the image. I'm not sure if it is ok to give out though since Sunamrk is still selling the cart. I'll have to check with him first to get the ok (I was given it so I could do a review for my page).

http://www.atariprotos.com/8bit/software/mean18/mean18.htm

Tempest

I have touch typing on 2 cassettes. I don't know if it works or not; I've never tried it out. I could try it out, but if it works, how would I get it to you? Also, how do I know if it is the US version?

I actually have tried out Atari Touch Typing. It was the only time I tried to teach myself to type properly before I just went ahead and typed "however." Currently I am a seven finger typist, two on the left, five on the right. ;)

Touch Typing was pretty good IIRC, even though I didn't carry on with it and finish all the exercises and practice enough. It includes a game, sort of like Space Invaders IIRC, where you tap the right keys to shoot the targets.

It is worth "dumping" and saving for posterity and I think still a good way to learn to type.

I could try it out, but if it works, how would I get it to you? Also, how do I know if it is the US version?

Well, you need to record the tape on your PC to make a WAV file out of it first. There's just a single version of the game :)

JayoK, copies are OK.

--

Atari Frog

I tried it, and it works. I don't think I have the equipment or the hard drive space to record it to my pc. How about if I mail it to you? I have the manual too.

Who has a ROM image from Midi Maze, the first multiplayer game for 130XE

Midi Maze

I also have the Midi Maze rom (and Commando for that matter), but it's the same deal as with Mean 18. I'm not sure if I have permission to give them out. Sumark (who is currently selling the carts) was nice enough to give me the roms so I could review the game but at that time I was told not to give them out. I'll have to check and see if this has changed or not.

Tempest

Midi Maze

I also have the Midi Maze rom (and Commando for that matter), but it's the same deal as with Mean 18. I'm not sure if I have permission to give them out. Sumark (who is currently selling the carts) was nice enough to give me the roms so I could review the game but at that time I was told not to give them out. I'll have to check and see if this has changed or not.

Tempest

Ok, could you post a video from Midi Maze then?

Who sells the cartridge?

Midi Maze

Tempest

Ok, could you post a video from Midi Maze then?

Who sells the cartridge?

Sunmark sells cartridges of all three games. The Midi Maze cart includes Mean 18.

http://www.sunmark.com/

I'm not sure how I'd be able to make a video of the game in action. Is there an option for that in one of the emulators?

Tempest

F.

Wow. I really have to disagree with that. I check in here fairly often and

am amazed at the amount of new traffic each time, as well as the (still)

ongoing hardware development!

I just cleaned up my hoard of atari emulator ATR's, i now have over 3000 Unique ATR's (I guess that the majority of them are badly hacked jobbies)

By 'Unique', it means that i got shot of all the dupes (i put them all into one big zip file)

One question though, is there a utility to read in a particular ATR's CRC number or do you have to 'rezip' the ATR to generate it's CRC

Additionally, i did the same clean out joobie on my exe collection (now 1180 unique images) and 2725 xex unique images