IGNORED

Games still missing in action...

Some of those missing titles are very familiar, but the best strategy for me might be to make up a list of what I have and compare it to your list. But I just moved, and it will be a while before I have enough leisure time for that. I'm assuming these are all disk based games? I have a Star Trek cartridge game for example, but I don't think I have a disk version.

Attached is our updated list of Atari 8-bit games that have not been dumped yet, some 1,300 programs! Though by no means complete as it mostly concentrates on commercial software, it should persuade you that there are still many lost titles on old tapes and disks in need to be archived.

<snip>

Thanks in advance!

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

I'm assuming these are all disk based games?

Disk or tape originally but a lot of cassette-based software was cracked and can be found as files in disk collections. Sometimes, it's just a plain BASIC program...

I have a Star Trek cartridge game for example, but I don't think I have a disk version.

It's important to check the publisher. There are numerous games with the same name that are completely different: Hangman, Concentration, Star Trek...

So, anybody else willing to help here? Maybe we should just close our website, what do you think?

--

Atari Frog

Really, exists a game from your list that worths the wait?

Well, Atari has bad, medium and pretty games, why to collect in a database the bad games? (even the games that cant show any interesting technical hardware aspect)

I found 3 titles exactly in my collection, but I need to review what publisher is. Maybe I could have a winner software.

Edited by Allas

Really, exists a game from your list that worths the wait? Well, Atari has bad, medium and pretty games, why to collect in a database the bad games? (even the games that cant show any interesting technical hardware aspect)

That's clearly not our philosophy. We're trying to preserve and archive Atari's full software heritage. The whole industry started with zillions of crappy games but that doesn't mean they should be left out...

I found 3 titles exactly in my collection, but I need to review what publisher is. Maybe I could have a winner software.

What are the titles please?

--

Atari Frog

Here, I have a rom that i cant view in your collection either your list.

Sorry to disappoint you but we already have it (though it's not in the list). Moreover, it seems to be the dump I posted here a couple of months ago! It's a pretty common title too...

Now if you have any South American cartridge dumps that are not on any website, please let us know... If you release lists for Peruvian software, we'd be interested in that as well. There's also all this educational software from Chile that seems to be lost...

--

Atari Frog

Thanks Allas!

We do have a dump of the In-Store Demo cart, it just hasn't been uploaded yet.

As for the question of preserving the "not-so-good" software, as Frog says, we want to preserve as near as possible to everything that was available for the A8. The question of what's good and what's not so good is a matter of individual taste, and it's completely subjective.

Best to preserve whatever we can, and then people can make their minds up about each title. We do have some obscure titles at Atarimania, and we receive quite a few messages from the original programmers, who usually seem to be delighted to find that anyone still cares about their work, and more so that they consider it worth archiving.

I know I have a few of the titles on the MIA list here: Astro Grover (although maybe you're looking for a different version), Tink's Adventure, and Tuk Goes to Town, all on disk. I also have a Spy vs. Spy I & II disk, but that's probably not what you're looking for.

I may have more, too, but it would take a while to go through all the disks here in my basement. For example, my brother used to buy a lot of "public domain" collections on disks from a couple American companies in the late '80s-early '90s. I did start copying some of these games to disks a couple years ago with plans to send these your way, but I became sidetracked with something else. I think it was when I discovered Ultima.

Edited by jnice

I found a "Galactic chase" title, but its different from the version in Atarimania.

These are the differences:

- Background color is yellow instead black

- In the bottom middle appears 3 flags (not right, not left, the middle)

- Lives are six, and when you lose a live, still the same amount of rest lives.

I think it should be a cracked version, it worths to scan this file?

Do you wish crapy and jerky Basic games? About Chilean software, all is in Spanish, for example... Are you interested in this type of stuff?
Yes, exactly, thank you! If you have more of these, please let us know! The crappier, the better!

Many thanks for translating part of our message on one of the Chilean forums as well :thumbsup:

Please attach the version of Galactic Chase you have, we'll check it out.

--

Atari Frog

I know I have a few of the titles on the MIA list here: Astro Grover (although maybe you're looking for a different version).

Should be the disk version by Hi tech Expresions. It has an additional title screen.

Tink's Adventure, and Tuk Goes to Town, all on disk.

If they are originals, they'll be interesting for the VAPI project. Even cracked, we'll take them. Let me know if you're willing to send them either way.

I may have more, too, but it would take a while to go through all the disks here in my basement.

If you have a lot of disks, please take the time to compare what you have with our MIA list :)

For example, my brother used to buy a lot of "public domain" collections on disks from a couple American companies in the late '80s-early '90s. I did start copying some of these games to disks a couple years ago with plans to send these your way, but I became sidetracked with something else.

Something we'd need to know is what PD libraries as there are A LOT of these we have in CD-ROM collections.

Thanks!

--

Atari Frog

Do you wish crapy and jerky Basic games? :D

About Chilean software, all is in Spanish, for example:

mate.zip

Are you interested in this type of stuff?

Thank you, Allas, I will add it to my database. I am preparing bigger update of my site in September and such entries are more than welcome. New update will feature completely revised Games section with added BASIC games from Source code section and more accurate data, thanks to online magazines, like Antic and Page 6, Fandal, Kaz (atari.online.pl) and Jurgi from Atari8.Info, who are/were of great help.

Welcome.

I have a great software that I cant found on Internet in anywhere (HTTP or FTP). Its strange, because its the best music editor before TMC and RMT time. It far superior at AMS music editor. I think the software should be 2 faces of a single disk, but I have only one, tha main face, off course.

SoundMachineEditor.zip

P.D. : A little help for users:

- Yellow line at the bottom shows keys to use in the editor music mode

- Green line at the bottom shows keys to use for (I) Play, (M) access disk and (X) Other options.

Edited by Allas

Somewhere I have Gladiator from K-Tek. I don't remember seeing it on the site and or in the MIA. Actually I have the box, but need to look for the floppy.

It would be great if you could find it :)

Unfortunately, the K-Tek Software and ALA Software lists are not complete because we don't know what's really out there. It's pretty hard to find accurate release info for some companies... Additional note to Gury: General Masters Corporation is NOT a publisher, they only developed games for K-Tek and ALA...

Thanks for your help Ken!

--

Atari Frog

Everything should be preserved on Atarimania concerning A8, look at GB64 and WOS, every game is included, good ones, bad ones, even self made 'construction set' games (screens?) from SEUCK an BCS. WOS even includes type-in listings.

Come on, the A8 can do that too, if not better.

Edited by thomasholzer

With the extense database that Atarimania drives, it should be easy to design a interfase 100% Flash Macromedia that could manage a database with contents. Imagine a Oracle database that could contain musics and even videos. What database manager use with Atarimania, MySQL? Access? MSQL? Oracle?

Unfortunately, the K-Tek Software and ALA Software lists are not complete because we don't know what's really out there. It's pretty hard to find accurate release info for some companies... Additional note to Gury: General Masters Corporation is NOT a publisher, they only developed games for K-Tek and ALA...

Thanks for your help Ken!

--

Atari Frog

I am aware some publisher data in my library could be confusing, because that field has more meanings. It contains (will contain) publishers and developers in a way Masters Corporation / K-Tek or Page 6 / ... (if developer gave his/her work to publish as part of Page 6 disks), etc. New site update will, among other things, include more accurate publishing dates and many many more entries.

I am aware some publisher data in my library could be confusing, because that field has more meanings. It contains (will contain) publishers and developers in a way Masters Corporation / K-Tek or Page 6 / ... (if developer gave his/her work to publish as part of Page 6 disks), etc.

Huh? It seems you're clearly confusing public domain, commercial software and magazine-related software :ponder:

Public domain software is freely available, a developer doesn't give his work to Page 6, ABBUC, Bellcom or any other library, except in some very specific cases. Page 6 will just include the titles they want, that doesn't make them a publisher... There are a lot of different PD libraries and it's very frequent the same program appears in all of them...

--

Atari Frog

Huh? It seems you're clearly confusing public domain, commercial software and magazine-related software :ponder:

Public domain software is freely available, a developer doesn't give his work to Page 6, ABBUC, Bellcom or any other library, except in some very specific cases. Page 6 will just include the titles they want, that doesn't make them a publisher... There are a lot of different PD libraries and it's very frequent the same program appears in all of them...

--

Atari Frog

I am not confusing mentioned above, I was probably just unclear. The Publisher in my libraries will probably change to more understandable term, so there will a publisher, developer or/and PD library. My idea is to collect everything I find, it does not matter if it is commercial program, public domain or just mediocre 5 line BASIC game.

Well,

the Soundmachine was done by Peter Finzel Productions (PFP) from Germany, also known for other programs like Schreckenstein, Cavelord and a Gr.8 drawing program called Design Master. He also wrote some books and a series called "assembler corner" in the german Atari Magazin. Nowadays Peter Finzel concentrates on things like Surround, Dolby Digital, THX, etc. and sells books, as well as test CD`s and test DVD`s for Hifi and TV/Video systems... think I have some soundmachine songs/tunes in my collection (maybe the ones that came with the original disk)...

-Andreas Magenheimer.

Well,

the Soundmachine was done by Peter Finzel Productions (PFP) from Germany, also known for other programs like Schreckenstein, Cavelord and a Gr.8 drawing program called Design Master. He also wrote some books and a series called "assembler corner" in the german Atari Magazin. Nowadays Peter Finzel concentrates on things like Surround, Dolby Digital, THX, etc. and sells books, as well as test CD`s and test DVD`s for Hifi and TV/Video systems... think I have some soundmachine songs/tunes in my collection (maybe the ones that came with the original disk)...

-Andreas Magenheimer.

That is the probe, Atari have the tool for have good music in the right moment (1986). I remember other side of disk, contains tutorials and even examples how to add .MUS files in basic programs. Its a pity this masterpiece of German software was hidden for the most atarian programmers.

Who is Juergen Piscol (initial credits in the intro)?

Edited by Allas