IGNORED

More Beef Drop for the 7800

jwierer

Here is my first attempt at hacking the 7800 version of Beef Drop. Includes new or modified levels, including a 7th level. Also you start with an extra life and pepper. I haven't tested it on a real 7800 yet, but it is signed so it should work without a problem.

(updated in later post)

-Jeff

Edited by jwierer

Here is my first attempt at hacking the 7800 version of Beef Drop. Includes new or modified levels, including a 7th level. Also you start with an extra life and pepper. I haven't tested it on a real 7800 yet, but it is signed so it should work without a problem.

-Jeff

Dunno what it's suppose to do, but when I start the game you can't move, you just stand there forever with music playing, no enemies ever come out either

Dunno what it's suppose to do, but when I start the game you can't move, you just stand there forever with music playing, no enemies ever come out either

Let me guess you are using ProSystem? For some reason Beef Drop, hack or original, won't work with it. Works fine with MESS and EMU7800 though.

-Jeff

Let me guess you are using ProSystem? For some reason Beef Drop, hack or original, won't work with it. Works fine with MESS and EMU7800 though.

-Jeff

Yep it is my Eulator, I'll try one of the others

I found several roms of Beef Drop for the 7800 at www.emuasylum.com that work with Prosystem, are these the same Beef Drop? or even authorised dumps?

I believe at some point I started using the timer in RIOT to time the game. Older versions didnt they would be quite old. Maybe ProSystem doesnt emulate it?

• 9 months later...
Working fine on the version of prosystem I have...

I still wish I could fine the older demo that had Pokey in it...I don't care for the Tia clicks and pops..ugh...

All the demos should have POKEY support provided the emulator supports POKEY completely. I only have used MESS for testing to I can't vouch for other emulators.

--Ken

Working fine on the version of prosystem I have...

I still wish I could fine the older demo that had Pokey in it...I don't care for the Tia clicks and pops..ugh...

All the demos should have POKEY support provided the emulator supports POKEY completely. I only have used MESS for testing to I can't vouch for other emulators.

--Ken

Ken is correct. The issue is the emulator and not the dump. Same dump (CRC: 4ed4b7c0) plays POKEY sound in MESS, but not in ProSystem. Furthermore, respecting sound in Prosystem there are other issues (High pitch noises/lingering notes) which seem to minimize if I change the sample rate to 96000. Unfortuantely, the sample rate you select does not save when exiting the emulator and reverts back to 44100, once you restart it again.

FWIW, the best version of MESS to use for Atari 7800 emulation is MESS 0.111.

In version 0.111 you have the updated color palette and the older (MAME) sound core is still in use.

In version 0.112 Atari 7800 emulation is broken.

In version 0.113 (and newer) a new (MAME) sound core is used which causes sound problems for many people.

-Trebor

• 14 years later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing More Beef Drop on tomorrow's stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR BEST QUALITY)