IGNORED

Space Bacon: When Pigs Fly - WIP

atari2600land

Aliens that look just like pigs are attacking the moon! Your job: Protect the moon from the evil alien pigs. Right now, collision checking is on, but there's infinite lives for testing purposes. You can also shoot the pigs now and get a point for each one you shoot. Right now, it's set up so when your ship touches a pig, you lose a life. In a way, it's similar to the game 'Space Jockey', because I played that for hours trying to get a good score in the High Score Club, thinking, "This might be able to do in Batari BASIC." Comments/suggestions welcome. If you think it's a total piece of crap, say so. What would you change/add?

spacebacon.bas.bin

Edited by atari2600land

The missile should be reset after it hits a pig. Right now it keeps going, ensuring that you'll miss the next pig.

Otherwise, it's one of your best works yet. :)

That problem is fixed with this latest version. Thanks for the compliment. Thanks to 0.99c, it looks like a million bucks. Should I maybe add some sound effects? Does anyone want to look at the .bas code, cuz I can put that out if anyone wants it.

spacebaconv2.bas.bin

post-3832-1157155316_thumb.jpg

It happened late one night while you were out taking a walk. It was that night that you saved the Earth. Sure nobody believes you, but it REALLY happened!

It started out like every other night that you take a walk. It was dark and quite and it seemed as if the whole World was sleeping. Maybe they were all under the Aliens mind control or something. Anyway, You are walking down the old back road when you hear a strange sound. It sounded like a squeak or an oink? Looking around you see nothing that could be making that sound. Then you hear it again and it is coming from above you. You look up and see them for the first time. THE EVIL ALIEN PIGS or as you like to call them SPACE BACON!

You can see their menace from their evil little eyes to their curly demonic tails. This is it, You have no weapon and the Pigs are getting closer. Guess you'll never get to play Final Fantasy 12. It probably sucks anyway......... Wait!!!! You do have a weapon! You are the county champion Loogie Spitter!

Shoot down all of the Pigs with your Loogie Spitting skills. You've heard the saying,"In a Pigs eye"? They hate that, Shoot them there. You will save the World tonight! And, You will play Final Fantasy 12, even if it sucks!!

Edited by neotokeo2001

Geez, you even made a label for this game! I'm really impressed with NeoTokeo's response to this game. As for Super Maria Sisters, I've PMed Albert about trying to sell it in the AtariAge store about a week ago, but he never PMed me back. Is he really that busy?

It's a cool little game. Are you going to add other options or sound effects?

Albert is usually busy and he is also out of town until September 13th so don't expect an answer until then.

I'm gonna try and slow the speed of the pigs down and maybe make that an option under the difficulty switch.

Is it possible to have multiple pigs attacking at the same time?

Add difficulty levels so the game ramps up over time.

Example:

Based on pigs shot.

Pigs 1-9

Slow level flying pigs

Pigs 10-19

Little faster weaving pigs

Pigs 20-29

Double flying pigs

post-3832-1157163670_thumb.jpg

Pigs 30->

Double flying pigs and random laser shots.

(Have random laser shots attacking from the right)

post-3832-1157163652_thumb.jpg

If you have enough room, Add some type of intermission level after every wave of pigs.

Maybe a Pig Alien Mothership? The final level of Super Maria Sisters would be a good intermission level. Have the player try to get around the Mothership/Pig to destroy it. Once destroyed move to the next level and another mothership/pig.

post-3832-1157163922_thumb.jpg

Maybe throw in a berserk wave where the pigs travel in a straight line from the right but attack vary fast.

Don't know if it is possible, Just throwing in my $.02

Edited by neotokeo2001

How does the game display the extra lives? Is it possible to have a line between the lives so you can see how many are left.

Example:

post-3832-1157164246_thumb.jpg

Unless someone says otherwise, I think I'm going to have to say it can't be done that way (I'm using missile1 at an 8 pixel width for those interested.) As for increasing the difficulty, check out this latest build. I'll work on it some more tomorrow.

spacebaconv4.bas.bin

Unless someone says otherwise, I think I'm going to have to say it can't be done that way (I'm using missile1 at an 8 pixel width for those interested.) As for increasing the difficulty, check out this latest build. I'll work on it some more tomorrow.

Use the ball. :ponder:

Use the ball. :ponder:

What color would it be, since it's the same color as the playfield and there's 2 different playfield colors

Here's the latest version of my game. I added a scroll so it's more like Space Jockey. I tried the set kernel no_blank_lines pfcolors thing and my game ended up weird. Maybe my computer just hates me, but could someone try adding that line to the bas code of my game so the computer would be obeying someone else and not me? ;)

spacebaconv5.bas

spacebaconv5.bas.bin

I tried the set kernel no_blank_lines pfcolors thing and my game ended up weird.

You lose some features when you use it. From the docs:

no_blank_lines - no gaps in PF blocks. Cost: loss of missile0

There also appears to be odd gaps in the pfcolors, so you might need to readjust your list of colors to match. With the change to make the playfield scroll, however, I don't think it's necessary any longer. :)