IGNORED

Atari 2600, 5200, and 7800 games to be downloadable on Wii?!

ataridave

I was in Game Crazy today, and the rep. told me that he read it on 1up.com, but I cannot seem to find the story-if there is one. Can anyone on here confirm or deny this story?

There's no word of this anywhere that I've seen. Sounds like your typical lying, game-store-working, trying-to-impress-you geek to me.

Though I'd love to be wrong

Edited by figgler

I was in Game Crazy today, and the rep. told me that he read it on 1up.com, but I cannot seem to find the story-if there is one. Can anyone on here confirm or deny this story?

There's no word of this anywhere that I've seen. Sounds like your typical lying, game-store-working, trying-to-impress-you geek to me.

Perhaps, I should've asked him for the URL. Still, I did look in the Wii news section of the site and saw nothing about this.

I'd only love to be proven wrong about 5200 games, as they don't work with the 7800, and the system's joysticks are really poor.

Heres something scarier The Smother Brothers use to have this saying "Don't trust anyone over 30", But now since they are both way over that mark they now say "Don't trust anyone UNDER 30".

That's how I feel. All you punks have some growin' up to do. Get off my lawn!

Agreed... ask anybody under 30 who the Smother Brothers are and you'll get a blank stare and maybe a "huh?". LOL!

You'd love to be wrong? And be able to pay $5 to download and play a game that you can buy of Ebay and have shipped for only $1? Wow, that's gotta suck. J/K I'm sure there's some that would be interesting to get, that would be cheaper this method, but for the most part, it'd be like I said, cheaper to buy legit hardwar and carts, then to use the cube, or like some of us, get it free off the internet and play as much as you want.

Heres something scarier The Smother Brothers use to have this saying "Don't trust anyone over 30", But now since they are both way over that mark they now say "Don't trust anyone UNDER 30".

That's how I feel. All you punks have some growin' up to do. Get off my lawn!

Agreed... ask anybody under 30 who the Smother Brothers are and you'll get a blank stare and maybe a "huh?". LOL!

Thanks to my mom, I know who they are, along with Creedence Clearwater. ;)

Creedance Clearwater Revival, or CCR for short. :)

Yeah. I'm still amazed at how amazed people 40+ are at our generation's (I'm 26) knowledge of their culture. For the most part, our parents passed on the legacy better than they thought they had, aparently.

If there's a generation gap out there, it's only one sided.

I don't know though. I think it's more case by case. My dad, for instance had very little interest in 80's and 90's music as we were growing up, and very little interest in video games. While Mom, on the other hand, was fairly with it when it came to music, and put in a lot of hours watching my brother and I play video games.

Now that we're grown up, my dad is starting to get a little sentimental and getting into the games a bit, and even the music a little bit. Just today I supressed a chuckle at hearing him cuss the TV after getting schooled in Pac Man. (he's got that namco TV joystick thing.) and about a week ago I was visiting him and Black Hole Sun came on and he responded to it positively... he didn't like it when it was new. (Can you believe that song is 12yrs old already?!)

Edited by Mr_8bit_16bit

I liked an Allman Brother slogan I saw on a t-shirt at one of their shows: "Never trust any band under 30."

There's no way Atari games will be on the Wii, at least for a while. It would be pretty cool, but I just can't see it happening.

I wouldn't be too sure about that one, I know that the WII will be haveing some 3rd party systems so far i heard turbographics 16 3D0, not sure about genesis and others probly. If its gonna do those and 8 bit NES why can't they throw in the atari series.

Honestly, I don't think it will happen. One thing to remember is that Nintendo has always taken the quality of the games made for its consoles very seriously, and they're not about to let crappy-looking games polute their Virtual Console, especially if they reserve themselves the right to evaluate (and possibly reject) each game that comes up to bat.

While pre-NES games have an undeniable "classic" aura to them, they still look like crap by today's standards, and only appeal to those who fall prey to nostalgia. And even then, if someone asks to play the Atari 2600 version of Donkey Kong, any Nintendo representative in his right mind will say "Well, we offer the NES version, and also the actual arcade game on our Wii Virtual Console, so why not play with those instead?"

Personally, there are very few Atari games I would play on the Wii, given the opportunity, and most of them are arcade conversions anyway, and I would much prefer playing the original arcade versions if I can. Most of the 2600/5200/7800 exclusives that are worth playing are Activision titles, so Activision might as well just release an encapsulated compilation on the Virtual Console and that will satisfy most people.

Also, doesn't Nintendo have some kind of plan where third-parties will be able to develop and release games for the VC in the same way they can for mobile phones? If so, then perhaps we'll see some graphicallly updated versions of Adventure, H.E.R.O., and a few other non-arcade classics.

Hmmm yea that all might be true but just to give it the extra edge I mean they might do it so people will walk buy and go woah WII also lets you download atari games, They could also want too do it so that people who grew up with atari that might have sold theres years ago will consider getting it. But who knows today if the graphics suck its not worth playing kinda bs like that.

I think the only way we'd see Atari games on the Wii would be if Nintendo allows arcade emulation on the system, then maybe we'd see the arcade versions of some of the games. Otherwise, I just don't see the market being large enough to justify adding the Atari games in, although I'd love to be wrong.

You'd love to be wrong? And be able to pay $5 to download and play a game that you can buy of Ebay and have shipped for only $1? Wow, that's gotta suck.

jk lol :lol: