IGNORED

Rip Off - 2600

johnnywc

Hello all,

After completing Lady Bug, I thought about my next project and the results of this poll. Well, I think I need a break from the big projects and decided to work on something smaller - a port of the Cinematronics classic Rip Off that I had started about 2 years ago. It also happens to be one of my favorite games from the old days and one that I have fond memories of playing with my brother. :)

For those of you who don't know, Rip Off was one of (if not the first) 2 player cooperative games in the arcade. The object is simple: 1 or 2 players control tanks and protect a number of fuel pods from being "ripped off" from incoming tanks. Player tanks fire long range missiles, enemy tanks fire short range lasers. Players have unlimited lives, the only penalty for being killed is your ship is kept off screen for a few seconds, allowing the enemy tanks to steal your pods. If an enemy tank reaches a pod, it will latch onto it and try to drag it offscreen, at which time you can shoot the enemy tank to save the pod. Player tanks cannot shoot each other but can crash into each other. Enemies attack in waves; there are different enemies each with their own strategy and speed. Game ends when all pods have been ripped off.

Whew!

Anyway, the game sounds simple enough, but is not easily converted to the 2600, as there are many objects that can be on-screen at once:

- 2 player tanks

- 3 enemy tanks

- max of 8 missiles (4 for each player)

- max of 3 enemy lasers

- a number of stationary fuel pods

- max of 3 moving fuel pods (attached to enemy)

Looking at my old code, I decided to start over (it wasn't much to begin with). Here are some screenshots of the current state:

Title screen (not much so far):

post-30-1157686916_thumb.png

Scoring screen, with hi score and both player scores:

(note the pseudo-vector look with the highlighted points :))

post-30-1157688113_thumb.png

Game screen (color):

post-30-1157687007_thumb.png

Game screen (bw):

post-30-1157687018_thumb.png

Right now the kernel can support the following free-moving objects at a constant 30hz flicker (similar to Asteroids):

- 2 double-line resolution player ships (P0)

- 2 double-line resolution enemy ships (P1)

- 4 missiles (2 for each player) drawn with M0 and M1

- 4 stationary pods (drawn with PF)

- 2 moving pods (drawn with BL) OR 2 enemy lasers (drawn with BL) or 1 of each

I have room to multiplex P1 for the 3rd enemy ship (keep them vertically separated).

Implemented game features:

- title screen with RESET

- score display with hiscore and player 1/2 score

- color/bw switch toggles between color and bw sprites

- Rotate and thrust have been implemented for player ships

- joystick 1 controls player ship 1, joystick 2 controls player ship 2

- player ships can fire up to 2 missiles each

Still a long way to go, but it's coming along nicely. I will post a WIP once it's playable (enemy ships are moving). Should be a couple of weeks.

I hope to squeeze this into 4K. :)

Thanks for listening!

Edited by johnnywc
  • Like 2

Wow that's great. Rip Off is one of those arcade games that pissed me off as a kid because it was relentless :lol: Definitely a good one for 2 player though. I think it's awesome it's being ported and an excellent choice :D

Yknow.. now that I think about it I dont think I've ever tried the Vectrex version. I didn't even fully realize it had been ported I guess! :ponder: I'll have to try it on my multicart.

Wow that's great. Rip Off is one of those arcade games that pissed me off as a kid because it was relentless :lol: Definitely a good one for 2 player though. I think it's awesome it's being ported and an excellent choice :D

Yknow.. now that I think about it I dont think I've ever tried the Vectrex version. I didn't even fully realize it had been ported I guess! :ponder: I'll have to try it on my multicart.

2 or 3 of Skelly's best games were ported to Vectrex, maybe more.

It makes sense though, since he was DA MAN when it came to Vector games, along with Ed Logg, of course.

-Ray

Work on this all day as I first saw what you had done and I love it soo much that I had to make a label art for the 2600 in both Origanil Picture and Three Silver Labels, Took the origanil arcade flyer but with some redoing on it and made these for anyone who like to use them. :D

AWESOME!!! They all look great - I'm particular to the Pic label one! :)

Work on this all day as I first saw what you had done and I love it soo much that I had to make a label art for the 2600 in both Origanil Picture and Three Silver Labels, Took the origanil arcade flyer but with some redoing on it and made these for anyone who like to use them. :D

AWESOME!!! They all look great - I'm particular to the Pic label one! :)

Just in case here's the resize poster and title pic.

post-5587-1157773876_thumb.jpg

post-5587-1157773883_thumb.jpg

Edited by Atariboy2600