IGNORED

Rip Off - 2600

johnnywc

Just ran into this thread. Very cool choice. Rip Off is an intense 2-player game on the Vectrex. My friend and I got into a 4 or 5 hour marathon last time we played it. We also tried it with my Hot Rod SE and Mame but it seemed more fun on the Veccy.

I think this game like Defender or Robotron is all about creating that fast atmosphere where you have to get into a real zone to make it far in the game. And its a blast to go all kamikaze on the bad guys :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If I remember CORRECTLY, I think I read he said that he was going to try to debut it at an expo in October.....yes here it is:

JWC: Rip Off is about 50% done right now and I hope to have a playable demo ready by VGXPO in October .

Hmm, I don't recall seeing it at the show. :ponder:

:)

..Al

• 3 months later...

Hello all,

It's been a while but I've picked this project back up and I'm making pretty good progress. I've signed on a couple of old friends to help with the graphics and sound... :)

If all goes well, I should have a playable demo soon.

Stay tuned...

PS Release date is tentatively CGE 2K7, but don't quote me on that... ;)

Edited by johnnywc

You're a talented programmer, Johnny. I don't want to harsh your buzz, but out of all the games you could have ported to the 2600... why Rip-Off?

Well, he did mention this:

It also happens to be one of my favorite games from the old days and one that I have fond memories of playing with my brother. :)

Seems like a pretty good reason. :D

Edited by Nathan Strum

You're a talented programmer, Johnny. I don't want to harsh your buzz, but out of all the games you could have ported to the 2600... why Rip-Off?

Hello Jess,

Although not the most popular choice, I decided on Rip Off for a number of reasons:

-fond memories of playing this as a kid

-fond memories of playing this with my brother (we still play it on MAME whenever we get together)

-it has a kick-ass co-op mode, which IMO is the best thing about video games (playing WITH someone else :))

-it's NOT a maze game or a scrolling shooter (important after spending a year working on Lady Bug & CoM)

-it can fit into 4K and won't be a huge project (although I'll probably go to 8K to add in some cool features, title screen, etc)

-it translates to the 2600 with little or no compromises

-the game is fun (especially 2 player), challenging, and easy to play

Don't worry - I've also started my next project also which will let me cross off "port a classic shooter to the 2600" from my to-do list... :)

Oh! Well, if you've got fond childhood memories of it, I can understand that. I was similarly inspired by Super Pac-Man back in the 1990's... I really liked the game back when I was a kid, and decided to write a PC version of it. However, all the research I did (read: playing the game at a laundromat) revealed that Super Pac-Man wasn't really that fantastic. Still didn't stop me from making the game, though!

JR

Galaga? :-o

I've thought about this one extensively and I can't see it porting to the 2600 without some compromises. I think the best you'll do with the enemies would be what was done in Galaxian (which is pretty good). The "flying in" at the beginning of the level may be ok (would need a good flicker-sort algorithm to handle max 12 enemies). I was thinking that one compromise would be to have the ships fly in and the ones you don't hit would go off the top of the screen. Once all ships had flown in, the remainder would march down from the top in formation. Would certainly reduce flicker during that portion of the game.

The in-game action would be similar to Galaxian; the additions would be using the missile/ball to draw the tractor beam and using P0/P1 when the ship was doubled. Challenge stages would convert pretty nicely (with minimal flicker). Would most likely require 16KSC to be pulled off though. Hmmmm.. maybe this one wouldn't be so bad. :)

My guess would be Moon Cresta... :)

Now THAT sounds like a much easier idea! ;)

• Like 1