IGNORED

NES High Score Club Week #2 - Gun Smoke

vdub_bobby

You've voted - and I broke the tie - and we're entering the old west! Gun Smoke it is!

So, post a score and let's get this thing rolling!

Please post any tips you may have - best tip gets 1 bonus point!

Also, if anyone has a link to the manual, please post it.

A special note: Please don't post scores that were achieved after a "continue." All scores should be for a game that was started from the beginning. :) Also: please don't leech - don't loop a level endlessly to get a high score.

This week's competition ends next Friday morning.

This week's standings:

999990 rjchamp3 (10 pts +1 for best tip(s))

220900 figgler (8 pts)

155670 LarcenTyler (6 pts)

131060 mojofltr (4 pts)

123480 vdub_bobby (2 pts)

Twin Galaxies Top Scores

1. 999990 Tom Votava

1. 999990 Rudy J Ferreti :ponder:

3. 214500 Mr. Kelly R Flewin

4. 68860 Marcelo J Sanchez

Overall standings:

1st. rjchamp3 (10 pts)

2nd. figgler (8 pts)

3rd. vdub_bobby (6 pts)

4th. keilbaca (4)

5th. mofofltr (3)

6th. Malc74 (1)

6th. MCHufnagel (1)

6th. 8th lutz (1)

Tips

You get money for everthing you kill
stage 3 you need a smart bomb

mojofltr posted a link to an text version of the manual, I think.

I beat the game twice at that point the game can be beat three times loop each level once
Final tip in each stage except 4 and 6 there are hidden horses, and you will save points/money that way 20,000 each, don't buy wepon unless you are a newby, if you use turbo you should never die, I don't use it but that is me.
Edited by vdub_bobby

$131,060... Stage 3 kicked my butt! :lol:

post-887-1157907454_thumb.jpg

You don't actually get points from killing people (except the bosses), only from the money bags that you pick up. Any time you buy something from one of the village people, it subtracts from your score. As far as I can tell, there is no reason to buy a warrant, as there is one hidden in each of the stages. For the high score club, I'd say save your money.

Does anyone have a manual for this that they would scan? I'm still unsure about one or two of the items that you pick up.

Edited by mojofltr

For the high score club, I'd say save your money.

This is the tricky part for me. I've actually finished Gun.Smoke before, but I seem to remember buying horses a lot, which of course is a bad idea score-wise.

I'm working on finding the bloody disc to re-install my camer's software, then maybe this week I can start posting screen shots

For now though my best score; 174 810.

Edit:

Here we go

post-3765-1157939102_thumb.jpg

Edited by figgler

stage 3 you need a smart bomb

This might be helpful, but you don't actually need it. Until checking mojo's cheat sheet I didn't even know what this was and I have finished Gun.Smoke once before.

What is it useful for? Taking out Devil Hawk more easily?

Also, worth noting is that the red swirly things are 1-ups and the blue swirlies are invincibility items. The cheat sheet here says you can only stock 3 lives, but that's not true. Not sure what the limit is, but it is at least 4 ;)

I don't think I can do much better than this. Luck was on my side more than a few times during this run.

Score; 220 900

post-3765-1158112571_thumb.jpg

It's funny how sometimes when you finally beat your high score, you totally smash it. :)

Edited by figgler

post-10137-1158135586_thumb.jpg :) :x DRAW NO..................... I THOUGHT WE COULD SETTLE THIS LIKE MEN.

YOU THOUGHT WRONG DUDE BOOM....................

What's the secret? Are you looping levels or something without getting the wanted posters? In order to get to level 3 and have 999 990, I am thinking you'd likely need to loop the game twice through.