IGNORED

Beginning of Wii accessories

AtariJr

GT Pro Series racer from Ubisoft along with Monster 4X4 will be shipped with this steering wheel attachement. I'm kinda curious how popular this idea will be in the future for other games. The good news is that it at least works for other racing games, so you wont need 10 different steering wheel accessories laying all over the place...

post-8862-1157846005_thumb.jpg

Interesting. I'm all for steering wheels, but I can't imagine that holding an unanchored wheel up in the air would be fun for very long.

I was thinking the same thing... id rather just hold the controller stick like in Excite Truck. Then again , maybe if its really really light weight it wouldnt be as bad as what I'm thinking.

An anchored wheel would be nice, but it would also be about a hundred times more expensive to make, and you'd need a place to anchor it. This thing is just a piece of plastic, and thus EXTREMELY cheap and easy to make, and you can use it while you're lying in bed. Sounds good to me.

--Zero

An anchored wheel would be nice, but it would also be about a hundred times more expensive to make, and you'd need a place to anchor it. This thing is just a piece of plastic, and thus EXTREMELY cheap and easy to make, and you can use it while you're lying in bed. Sounds good to me.

--Zero

You could also rig an anchor for it fairly cheaply.

Though I don't know if the wheel will hold up to a lot of abuse.

That is kind of neat, but I'm not sure how well it will work without being anchored. It's probably tiring to hold it up with both hands, whereas with an anchored wheel you can rest your arms on it. I do love the idea that the Wii makes it easy to have cheap, customizable controllers like this, though. I'd definitely give it a shot, because I'm not paying $100+ for a high-end driving wheel.

You know, it's little things like this that have me excited about the Wii and its controllers.

For me, it's not so much about waving my arms around in some crazy new way as it is the fact that all these different genres are possible right out of the box with great control, and no accessories to buy. Steering wheel, light gun (one that works on ALL TVs), FPS controller, golf club, classic/gamecube support: it's all there!

Developers can create onrail shooters again with no need to worry about people buying their expensive lightgun which will be good for two games tops. People don't need to spend oodles of money on that golf controller that came out this year. All these simple possibilties right out of the box.

Eff light saber battles and interactive mario: I want Virtual Cop and Hogan's alley!

I'll comment when I have it in my hands, all these threads on the Wii are great but until we have access to the hardware they are kinda pointless. It could revolutionize gaming as we know it, it could also be a cheap piece of plastic that you want to put away 5 minutes after popping your remote control in the center because it plays like ass. Based on that picture it looks like the later, but who knows, might work like a dream!

I get the scepticism to a point, but I don't see how it's going to play like ass really. I mean Nintendo has been making neat-o controllers for a long time and though they may not followup on every idea they've ever had, when they release something it does invariably work as advertised. I have 110% faith in the hardware, the rest is up to the developers.

That said, I think they've done something really cool in this steering wheel. Goodbye giant, ten pound eye sore that won't fit in my closet and never gets used. If this is cheap enough I would pick it up just to try it out for Excite Truck or something

In a word...Power Glove.

I love the Power Glove. It's so BAD. :rolling:

The Power Glove was not actually a bad device. It's biggest problem was that it was pointless. Why would anyone want to play games by flicking their fingers when they could just mash buttons on a controller? Glove Ball showed off the glove a bit more, but the game was BORING.

It really came down to the glove being a 3D interface device attached to a console that was 2D. The glove was a lot better when it was attached to a computer interface for Virtual Reality work. Nintendo obviously realizes this with the Wii, because they're providing traditional controls (and controllers) for the Virtual Console rather than expecting people to use a 3D input device for 2D games.

I get the scepticism to a point, but I don't see how it's going to play like ass really.

In a word...Power Glove.

Argue that one.

well it´s two words

Touche'

Don't get me wrong, I really hope this remote control looking thing makes videogame playing a new and exciting experience. I tried out the Nintendo bongo's at ToysRUs and a short time later picked up 2 sets of them for parties. They were great fun, the key phrase in that sentance was "I tried out the Nintendo bongo's" If this new controller is a dud, or even if it doesn't get the support it needs...then the Wii offers me nothing I didn't already have.

Edited by moycon

In a word...Power Glove.

I love the Power Glove. It's so BAD. :rolling:

The Power Glove was not actually a bad device. It's biggest problem was that it was pointless. Why would anyone want to play games by flicking their fingers when they could just mash buttons on a controller? Glove Ball showed off the glove a bit more, but the game was BORING.

It really came down to the glove being a 3D interface device attached to a console that was 2D. The glove was a lot better when it was attached to a computer interface for Virtual Reality work. Nintendo obviously realizes this with the Wii, because they're providing traditional controls (and controllers) for the Virtual Console rather than expecting people to use a 3D input device for 2D games.

I wanted to say that!

So, uh........where's the pedals? :ponder:

use the a and b buttons like you would if you didnt have the wheel attacement. All it is a a light shell to make it look like a wheel.. its a nice idea and all, but its definately not necessary.. and honestly i think i might rather just have the wiimote in hand bare than with this along with it. However, if i get one of Ubisoft's racing games it comes free with it, so i might as well try it before i negate its possibility. If it sucks its not like i lost any money or the game doesnt play well...