IGNORED

Pink Panther 2600 Prototype On Ebay

Shawn

Huh, this is rather interesting. Two months ago someone contacted me saying he was given a bunch of Atari 2600 carts, including what looked like a Pink Panther prototype. He sent me some pictures, and it actually had a Probe 2000 Pink Panther prototype label on it. It also was in a Probe 2000 cartridge, and the label looked authentic (I think I showed it to Tempest). Very odd that one is now up on eBay without this label. The person I spoke to said he was going to try and find a 2600 to test it on, but I did not hear back from him after my last reply. It doesn't appear that these are the same carts, as it would seem odd that someone would remove such a label. Also, the other individual was not located in Georgia.

Wonder, just curious, if you buy this are you going to allow it to be dumped and shared? You don't have to answer publicly if you don't want to. :)

..Al

PM sent :)

Already have... I sent him a few questions regarding it. The main one about not having tested it, he replied stating that if it didn't sell, then he would get himself a 2600 and post some screenshots in a relisted auction to increase confidence in the item.

...if it didn't sell, then he would get himself a 2600 and post some screenshots in a relisted auction to increase confidence in the item.

Why "if" and "would"?

A 2600 costs less than $20 and he would make several $100 extra if the game is confirmed working. Easy money, isn't it?

...if it didn't sell, then he would get himself a 2600 and post some screenshots in a relisted auction to increase confidence in the item.

Why "if" and "would"?

A 2600 costs less than $20 and he would make several $100 extra if the game is confirmed working. Easy money, isn't it?

I agree but sometimes people are just lazy.

All I will say is that whoever wins it allows Tempest to look at the rom and report back to the rest of us what he found. If I had the money I would have bid on it myself but I owuld have allowed Tempest to review it as what is the point of owning it if you never know if it was different to the one who already reviewed. As this thing is a piece of gaming history and if it actually works I would love to see it preserved for gaming posperity at the very least ;)

Why "if" and "would"?

I agree but sometimes people are just lazy.

I would reply to that ,but I don't feel like typing in any more letter

The seller ended the auction not U-Pay..

Conjecture/hope: someone told the seller that they would offer a rather nice chunk of change for the game IF they were shown proof of its authenticity and functionality. The proper thing for the seller to do would generally be to obtain such proof and add it to the listing (since a non-eBay sale would be non-kosher) but I can imagine scenarios where that wouldn't really quite work.

For example, someone might offer to drive to the seller, test the game on the spot, and buy it then and there if it's good. In such case, the buyer wouldn't want to make the drive unless he knew he had dibs on the cart; if the seller decided think the game was unlikely to sell if untested, and if the buyer's offer was good, pulling the auction and selling the game right away would make sense.

Not sure if the seller would arrange for proper eBay fees in that case (e.g. by registering it as a Second-chance sale)

The guy's legit. I bought two promo photos from him for the O2 moneybag promo (the guy he mentions in the auction). I just think he's a bit off base with his prices for the other stuff and someone is feeding him prices.

By the way, the auction was not just for the proto but for the large management binder as well that's in the pictures.

Edited by wgungfu

If someone had the dump why would they buy it? Don't buy the cow when you got the milk for free.

I think he might have ended it due to the people asking him to test it. I am going to take a guess here and say that he is working on getting an Atari to test it. He will take pictures of it working (if it does) and relist it. If he relists it with no mention of any of this that means he found an Atari tested it and it DIDN'T work. I don't believe this guy is one who would do a deal on the side (unless it didn't work and he worried about feedback) as he tends to overvalue most items and not undervalue. If he gets an offer for 5000 he is one who assumes its worth 6000.

BTW potential bidders I would be intersted in the book if the winner is mostly intersted in the cart.

I wouldn't be suprized if someone local asked to verify the game in person and then dumped it before it was even sold.

I think you pegged it, considering he ended the auction early. :(

Edited by Buyatari