IGNORED

Pink Panther 2600 Prototype On Ebay

Shawn

I'd wager - not likely - however.. Does anyone know if this is rumoured to be a fun game? It doesn't really seem to be worth the obsessive compulsive bother if it turns out to be a real turd of a game in terms of game play. Were there any reviews of this game in the gaming mags of the era? Curious. :twisted:

As long as its close to complete it won't matter. The same pattern used by others is still a good way to make some real good money.

1. Buy said proto

2. Don't speak a word to anyone as to gameplay

3. Make 250 or 500 copies

4. Slap $49.99 price on it.

5. Repeat as desired.

I'd wager - not likely - however.. Does anyone know if this is rumoured to be a fun game? It doesn't really seem to be worth the obsessive compulsive bother if it turns out to be a real turd of a game in terms of game play. Were there any reviews of this game in the gaming mags of the era? Curious. :twisted:

Maybe some collectors think different here, but many people are buying e.g. homebrews even though the ROMs are available for download.

Reread what I responding to. I am sure he didn't sell this cart on the side for $50 (price of a homebrew) esp when he had a bid at $1500. If someone went there and was able to download the ROM without him knowing they would have it for free. In that case the auction would have continued most likely without any of us ever knowing. Well at least until someone released 250 carts out of the blue.

Two main reasons this could have ended early.

1. He was offered a shit ton of money

2. He got so many questions he started to entertain the idea that a tested working cart might sell for more money than an untested one. A LOT more.

I think its #2.

Edited by Buyatari

Reread what I responding to. I am sure he didn't sell this cart on the side for $50 (price of a homebrew) esp when he had a bid at $1500.

Fortunately homebrews are not that expensive. :)

If someone went there and was able to download the ROM without him knowing they would have it for free. In that case the auction would have continued most likely without any of us ever knowing. Well at least until someone released 250 carts out of the blue.

I think I got you now.

Wow, it is back up.....but for $3500.....not sure....

What can I do with $3500???? buy a bunch of clothes, buy some car parts including a new transmission, get some stock, buy groceries to feed the family, pay the mortgage, buy some CPUWIZ/ShyOne signature boxes (VERY NICE BY THE WAY)

and...still...have change

or

a Pink Panther proto

decisions, decisions.......

Wow, it is back up.....but for $3500.....not sure....

What can I do with $3500???? buy a bunch of clothes, buy some car parts including a new transmission, get some stock, buy groceries to feed the family, pay the mortgage, buy some CPUWIZ/ShyOne signature boxes (VERY NICE BY THE WAY)

and...still...have change

or

a Pink Panther proto

decisions, decisions.......

Pass on it and he will lower the price, I don't think anyone is going to dish that out, hard to get a decent return on it, even if 200 boxed repros are made from it.

True...I can't think of anybody in the Atari world that would pay that amount for a proto other than myself...unless I am forgetting somebody.

$3,500....I did not even pay that amount for Air Raid and I competed against some high profile collectors on that one, ones that would pay good money for rare Atari stuff.

$3,500....I did not even pay that amount for Air Raid and I competed against some high profile collectors on that one, ones that would pay good money for rare Atari stuff.

I wouldn't use Air raid as a measuring stick. If you paid $3500 for air raid $100,000 for Pink Panther wouldn't be too much.

Pass on it and he will lower the price, I don't think anyone is going to dish that out, hard to get a decent return on it, even if 200 boxed repros are made from it.

I never produced a homebrew but I was under the impression that every run of 250 boxed game would net you appox 10k in profits.

I never produced a homebrew but I was under the impression that every run of 250 boxed game would net you appox 10k in profits.

More like $5000 in profit, if you sell them all! Which isn't easy, especially not with a property like Pink Panther. ;)

Looks like this guy went all out on his Atari. Must have been Gold Plated or something, because it ran up the price by $2000! :-o

Where do you get that figure?

Doing a bit of reverse calculation here, I'm guessing you're thinking $40 per boxed copy. However, $40 per boxed copy only means $10,000 in revenue, not profits. Each copy includes costs related to materials, printing, royalties (to whatever artist(s) you hire), and manufacturing. More likely than not, those figures would easily add up to $35-$37, bringing the actual profits to a meager $750 - $1,250. There's no way you'd recover $3,500 on that sale unless you jacked up the price per copy to take it into account. Of course, if you jack up the price per copy, fewer will sell.

Sooo... caveat emptor.

Looks like this guy went all out on his Atari. Must have been Gold Plated or something, because it ran up the price by $2000! :-o

Where do you get that figure?

Doing a bit of reverse calculation here, I'm guessing you're thinking $40 per boxed copy. However, $40 per boxed copy only means $10,000 in revenue, not profits. Each copy includes costs related to materials, printing, royalties (to whatever artist(s) you hire), and manufacturing. More likely than not, those figures would easily add up to $35-$37, bringing the actual profits to a meager $750 - $1,250. There's no way you'd recover $3,500 on that sale unless you jacked up the price per copy to take it into account. Of course, if you jack up the price per copy, fewer will sell.

Sooo... caveat emptor.

Your calculations are wayyyy flawed. :P

If someone buys this proto he is only purchasing the physical prototype to the game. It doesn't give the buyer the right to reproduce the game and sell boxed copies of it. It wasn't that long ago that a Pink Panther movie was released. The Pink Panther name and image is something that I am sure the owners wish to protect.

If someone buys this proto he is only purchasing the physical prototype to the game. It doesn't give the buyer the right to reproduce the game and sell boxed copies of it. It wasn't that long ago that a Pink Panther movie was released. The Pink Panther name and image is something that I am sure the owners wish to protect.

That is what I was getting at, you would have to pull the same thing the CGE guys did with Snow White, which is also heavily protected. ;)

Your calculations are wayyyy flawed. :P

Poppycock. Conservative and pulled out of thin air? Yes. Flawed? No. ;)

I think you'll agree that it all comes down to how inexpensive you can make each link in the supply chain. An example of a basic set of costs might be (more figures pulled out of thin air, yipee!):

• Board - $2.50
  • ROM - $1.00
  • Cart shell - $3.00
  • Label - $0.50
  • Box - $10.00
  • Artwork Royalties - $2.00
  • Glossy Manual - $3.00

For a grand total of $22, not even starting to include items like the cost of assembly (aka Your time), costs of ROM acquisition, and any other extras that might be included. (e.g. shrinkwrap, flyers, swag, so on and so forth.) Therefore, improving profits means making each of these items as inexpensive as possible. So if you can reuse an existing shell for $0.50, then you've just saved $2.50 on production. If you can get a discount on the box by ordering a larger number, then that helps bring down the price. Burning the chip, assembling the cartridge and packaging the item yourself rather than paying someone else to do it can save money. (Though this can be false economy if you're not careful!) Obtaining full rights to the artwork rather than royalties (I believe there's usually a contest around here, isn't there?) can sometimes make it cheaper.

So on and so forth.

Am I still wrong? :)