IGNORED

It's (almost) official....Wii at $250

Sauron

http://games.slashdot.org/games/06/09/14/0449256.shtml

Looks like it's $250, and comes bundled with Wii Sports. Not too bad, and it's very nice that a console is now actually coming with a pack-in at launch. Oh yeah, November 19 is the magic day. I guess I know what I'll be doing on the night of the 18th... :cool:

I don't know, shopping for a Thanksgiving turkey?

As you can tell, I'm not really digging the official price. The Wii is cheaper in Japan (at around $220) and SHOULD have been available in the United States for even less. I'll still probably buy one eventually, but it's not a high priority for me now... I'd rather see the system prove its worth (and Nintendo its commitment to third party developers) before slapping down that kind of money.

The folks at Microsoft were right... they're going to have a happy Christmas this year. Probably the next five years, too.

JR

Looks like it's $250, and comes bundled with Wii Sports. Not too bad, and it's very nice that a console is now actually coming with a pack-in at launch.

Comes with a game, but still only one controller. It might be a more effective launch if it came with at least 2 controls and something like Mario Party. Multiple controllers would obviously be more expensive though.

Personally I'd rather it had been $199.99 and not have come with Wii sports. Although I understand that although the game looks like a launch Gamecube game, they know the remote works decent with that one. Still...I'm not a huge sports fan to begin with. Would have been better if they let you save the $50 and choose a game whose genre you like. BTW has Nintendo mentioned if the old school games are going to be playable online? They are $5 to $10 like the Live games so I'm assuming yes but I haven't seen anyone really mention it.

The Wii is cheaper in Japan (at around $220) and SHOULD have been available in the United States for even less. I'll still probably buy one eventually, but it's not a high priority for me now... I'd rather see the system prove its worth (and Nintendo its commitment to third party developers) before slapping down that kind of money.

Try living in Canada. We're 5 seconds from you guys and Microsoft arbitarily jacked the price of the 360 by $100 here. Just so you know, the Canadian dollar is currently at about 90 cents American, for a grand total of $30-40 in the difference if Microsoft were using conversion on this. As a result of this, and the fact that the PS3 is priced much more sensibly with regards to the actual difference in the money, the difference between the price of the premium 360 and the announced price of the PS3's crappier system in Canada is less than $50.

Edited by Atarifever

Yup - $250. Comes with a wand, a nunchuck, Wii Sports, EDIT Opera Browser bought separately. The web browser is much more full featured than the DS one, allowing for video, flash, etc. Also, has built in "channels" for news & weather and channels where you can share photos.

Virtual Console games will be $5,8,10 price points, they expect 30 games available in the VC at launch. Estimates are $30 for extra wands, $20 for extra nunchucks or classic controllers.

The user interface allows setting up "channels" and allows for family members to all set up their own profiles (called Mii) which includes a customized avatar which can be saved in the Wand and brought to other Wii consoles.

Wii Sports is now Baseball, Boxing, Bowling, Golf & Tennis

They are also launching with Wii Play - which will have 9 games including Ping Pong, actual Pong, and Billiards. The big bonus is that Wii Play with be packed in with another controller - which means most people wanting a 2nd controller will end up buying Wii Play.

Edited by n8littlefield

The Wii was cheaper in Japan....but did it come with a game??

Try living in Canada. We're 5 seconds from you guys and Microsoft arbitarily jacked the price of the 360 by $100 here.

Forgive me for being ignorant, I've only been to Canda like 3 times and every time when when I was under the age of ten, but wouldn't it make sense to just drive the 5 seconds and get the cheaper price regardless what system you chose.

Edited by moycon

Try living in Canada. We're 5 seconds from you guys and Microsoft arbitarily jacked the price of the 360 by $100 here.

Forgive me for being ignorant, I've only been to Canda like 3 times and every time when when I was under the age of ten, but wouldn't it make sense to just drive the 5 seconds and get the cheaper price regardless what system you chose.

Or games for that matter. I'm sure there's a gamestop near the border.

I guess we can already safely say that Wii-sports will be the most worthless title in the system's library. Not only is it a pack-in - it's also a sports game.

I'm different than most here because I really like 2 player simultaneous action, and one of the best ways to get that is through sports games. Yes, I admit it, I am an AtariAge member who likes sports games :o (I'm kidding - I know I'm one of many). However, to make a sports game successful, they should be packing in two controllers! Think of all the 2 player goodness that made Combat much better than it deserved to be on the VCS...

Yep it would. However, sadly, here's a map of from me to you guys:

The water part makes the trip more expensive. I have considered buying my 360 from some online retailer in the states if the shipping doesn't hurt the deal too much.

Or games for that matter. I'm sure there's a gamestop near the border.

Canada is a big country, you know, and not everyone in Canada lives near the US border... :roll: And when you cross the border, there's a chance a customs officer will catch you and make you pay taxes (and a fine too if you fail to declare your purchases on US soil).

I make more money than ever, but I still feel like all the new tech is way too overpriced for me -- not unlike when I was 12 and pined away for a Colecovision or an Atari 5200.

The Series 3 HD Tivo looks great, and they'll convert my lifetime service over to the new box for a one-time cahrge of $199! How much would the new box cost? $799 -- or $1000 plus tax once service is factored in. Um, no, thanks.

Playstation 3? Supposedly be-all, do-all console of the future? $600 with no games that really grab me, and when they come out, they'll be $60 each? Eh ... pass.

Wii! It's simple and fun! $250 for it, though? I was honestly thinking of grabbing one just for kicks if it were $199, or better yet, $179. Now we're in "real money" territory and to me, it looks more like a glorified GameCube gimmick machine than anything. Still no details on the online service.

I agree -- XBOX 360 is looking mighty sweet, and I'm glad I jumped in when I did. If I didn't have that machine right now, I'd probably play my PS2/Cube/XBOX, or if I just had to have something new, settle for a DS or PSP and leave the big consoles alone until things shake out a bit.

It's going to be an interesting season!

I think people are going to be in for a world of disappointment when the Wii finally comes out. I don't think I remember a console being this over-hyped in a long long time. I think because a large population of gamers hate the 360 (because it's Micro$oft) and the PS3 (because of the price and the growing Sony hatred of late), that people are making the Wii out to be the 'Savior of Consoles'.

Sure it's nice looks and really innovative, but I think the controller is being over-hyped to the point that people are overlooking some glaring flaws. Swinging a joystick around like a madman might be fun for a little while, but are you really going to want to do it for hours on end? I can guarantee you that after an hour or two of swinging around Links sword around your arm is going to feel like it's on fire. There's a reason that joysticks like this haven't caught on over the years (although those more primitive versions had other issues as well). In the end I think people will cry out for a normal controller for the Wii, and games that don't require the use of the motion sensor. It's a really neat idea and has some nice uses, but I don't think it should be what the console is built around. It's almost like an accessory...

I'm not saying that I want the Wii to fail or anything (hell I'm going to get one myself eventually), but when every report on console starts out with the attitude that "Nintendo can do no wrong", I get worried. If you think about it, when's the last time you saw a negitive story on the Wii? I remember seeing a bunch of them right before the 360 launched, then (magically) all the stories about the PS3 become positive and the 360 got bashed left and right. Then right after Sony announced the price of the PS3, all the stories about the PS3 became negative and all the Wii stories became positive. I think I'm seeing a pattern. It seems that as console specs get announce and people become disappointed (for various reasons), the next unreleased console in the order becomes the favorite. If Sega had a new console coming out that they hadn't released the specs for yet it would become the new favorite and people would be bitching about the Wii.

At this point I'm not buying into the over or under hype for any of the consoles. I'm just going to wait and see what happens. Too many fan boys out there for an honest of opinion. Sorry for the rambling, but after the 80th article blowing sunshine up Nintendo's ass this morning I'm not in a good mood.

Tempest

So, Twilight Princess' launch date is getting pushed back to December on the gamecube (later than on the Wii), even though that was the system it was originally designed for. I'm going to say something I haven't said with this much feeling since I was a Genesis fanboy: Fuck you Nintendo.

Sadly, that aside, I'm still terribly excited about the Wii.

Edited by Atarifever

i think $60US for the controller/nunchuk combo is ridiculous, but that's me. it is nice that they added the wii sports to the package, and i wonder if component cables will be offered at launch

That is a steep price for a controller. But it is very advanced compared to other contollers. I'm disappointed that the two pieces aren't packaged together as standard. That could have saved us some money.

i think $60US for the controller/nunchuk combo is ridiculous, but that's me. it is nice that they added the wii sports to the package, and i wonder if component cables will be offered at launch

That is a steep price for a controller. But it is very advanced compared to other contollers. I'm disappointed that the two pieces aren't packaged together as standard. That could have saved us some money.

No, I'm glad they seperated them. People like me, where only one person plays at a time, only needs one nunchucku, so I can just get a classic controller. I'm getting a second wand for my roommates to play wii sports with me.

Sure it's nice looks and really innovative, but I think the controller is being over-hyped to the point that people are overlooking some glaring flaws. Swinging a joystick around like a madman might be fun for a little while, but are you really going to want to do it for hours on end? I can guarantee you that after an hour or two of swinging around Links sword around your arm is going to feel like it's on fire.

I tend to agree with most of what you said, but there's a little piece of info you need to know: In order to use the Wii controller properly, you don't need to move all of your arm. For example, to swing Link's sword, you can just sit and let your arm rest, and only move the controller left and right in a swing-like motion with a movement of the wrist. The few game that will actually require you to sit up straight (or stand up) are sports game like golf and tennis, and perhaps baseball when you're at bat.

I think a lot of gamers still don't quite get the Wii controller, and they won't until they actually try it. After a while, they'll understand that small movements will produce the same results as big life-like movements, and they'll adjust the way they play their Wii games accordingly.

Still, you may be right about the Wii being a disappointment once the launch date has come and gone. But it's mostly the quality and playability of the available games that may disappoint, more so than the controller.

I'll make one concession... Wii Play could be pretty cool if they have you hold the Wii remote like a paddle and move it up and down to return the ball in the Pong clone.

Past that, I dunno... it sounds like Nintendo is placing too much value on its industry presence along with its intellectual properties. Ten dollars is pretty steep for old Nintendo 64 games you barely played when that system was brand new. For that price, I might buy StarFox 64 and Sin and Punishment, but that's about it.

JR