IGNORED

It's (almost) official....Wii at $250

Sauron

Sure it's nice looks and really innovative, but I think the controller is being over-hyped to the point that people are overlooking some glaring flaws. Swinging a joystick around like a madman might be fun for a little while, but are you really going to want to do it for hours on end? I can guarantee you that after an hour or two of swinging around Links sword around your arm is going to feel like it's on fire.

It's bound to be less intensive than most other non conventional controllers. Track balls, Bongos, dance pads, light guns, even arcade joysticks get tiring pretty quickly depending on your laziness factor (mine is high). What they are showing with the Wii controller is over-excited super animated players meant to demonstrate it's functionality and how super duper immersive it is. Don't worry as we will be firmly planted on our couches as always I am sure.

My sister just got a job at FutureShop, I hope she can secure me one for launch day. I just booked the following three days off of work for some intense Wii time. I figure if I come bearing about $450, I can leave fully loaded with everything I need, the system, a small starter library of games, a two-four of Blue and a nice bag. Let the countdown to the lost Wiikend begin

I would prefer they knock $50 off the price and let me choose which game I want with the system.

How are games and downloads saved? Am I going to have to spend an extra $10-$50 for an SD Card to save my progress in Zelda or download Chrono Trigger? If so, all of a sudden my $200 console is approaching $300.

Will there be any original games for the VC? My experience with the Xbox Live Arcade has been that I buy and play the new releases like Geometry Wars, Feeding Fenzy, or Mutant Storm more than Galaga, Smash TV, or Gauntlet. I already owned almost all the classic titles, the ones I did buy were mostly online capable.

I think the motion control scheme will be good for "quick dose" games. Games that take 10-15 minutes each. I see it getting old for longer games.

Online play....what is the story here? I have read that 3rd party games will not be online at all initially. True?

I will attempt to buy one on launch day.

Well, the people flailing around are just for the videos - the Wii Wand responds the same to subtle movement as well. There was a recent interview on IGN with the Madden Wii producer who even said they expect after 10 minutes or so most gamers will go to the smaller wrist flicks and small movements.

That's better than what I imagined, but I still think it will get tiresome after awhile. Of course not having used one before I can't say for sure. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I have a bad feeling about this.

Tempest

How are games and downloads saved? Am I going to have to spend an extra $10-$50 for an SD Card to save my progress in Zelda or download Chrono Trigger? If so, all of a sudden my $200 console is approaching $300.

The system itself has 512MB of internal storage for VC games and other downloads, which will hold quite a few NES & SNES games, but if you start downloading a bunch of N64 titles, that's not going to go very far. Purchasing an SD card seems inevitable, although I also remember that it was rumored to support USB storage, so I might get a chance to use that mini 4GB hard drive at some point (or just allocate a few GB to storage on my iPod, heh).

So, Twilight Princess' launch date is getting pushed back to December on the gamecube (later than on the Wii), even though that was the system it was originally designed for. I'm going to say something I haven't said with this much feeling since I was a Genesis fanboy: Fuck you Nintendo.

I'd rather them push the date back than release an unfinished game.

Okay, now I'm officially pissed.

Wii? :thumbsup:

Wiimote? :thumbsup:

Wii-Sports? :thumbsup:

Virtual Console? :thumbsup:

Price Point? (makes shakey motion) It should have been $199.

Only 1 Wii-mote controller in the box? :thumbsdown: :mad:

The whole point of the Wii is to encourage multiplayer games, right? So why does the box ship with only one controller? Worse yet, why does it cost an extra $60 for the extra controllers!?! Nintendo has everything going for them, but they had to get greedy, didn't they? :mad:

I was seriously considering getting a Wii for Christmas. Looking at it now, I think I might wait until the price comes down. :(

Are there sensors that I am going to have to velcro to the top of my television for the motion sensing remote to work? If so...how many of them?

I remember some older light guns (Sega Saturn era) not working very well with my projection television. What about this remote?

512mb of internal storage will not last very long if Nintendo makes demos available like the Xbox 360. The 20gb hard drive on my 360 seems small already less than a year later.

Are there sensors that I am going to have to velcro to the top of my television for the motion sensing remote to work? If so...how many of them?

One sensor bar. It's apparently quite small.

I remember some older light guns (Sega Saturn era) not working very well with my projection television. What about this remote?

The Wiimote uses internal acceleration sensors in combination with the sensor bar to determine the position. You shouldn't have any trouble.

512mb of internal storage will not last very long if Nintendo makes demos available like the Xbox 360. The 20gb hard drive on my 360 seems small already less than a year later.

The Wii is expandable with standard SD Flash cards. You're looking at about $15 per gig for extra storage. (Less, as cards continue to drop in price.) I don't know about demos yet, though. The Flash memory is reportedly only for the Virtual Console at this time. You should be able to store a few dozen of those titles in the internal Flash memory.

AFAIK, the remote uses a single IR sensor bar mounted to your display, and does not use any sort of photocell type of technology that's used in 'classic' lightguns. I believe the remote uses a combination of IR, and internal accelerometers and gyrometers to determine its position and motion in 3D space.

I'm not thrilled about having to stick anything to my display, and its going to be a pain if I take the unit over to someone elses house.

Edited by remowilliams

Well, I'm pretty excited, but still hesitant. The Mii feature sounds cool, but the pricing isn't quite the no brainer I was looking for. But really, it will come down to how well the Wii version of Zelda is reviewed as well as well as trying it out for myself...

Right now I'm leaning towards a 360, but am on a C64 emu kick...

Cheers,

Ben

Thanks for the answers. I figured there would be a sensor or two to mount on my tv. I hope the cords are plenty long enough or at least a "standard" type connector that I can buy an extension cable if it is not long enough.

I certainly hope the Wii has demos available for download. The 360 has spoiled me on try before I buy. I don't have to subscribe to the magazines with demo discs or rent a game before I try it. I noticed that many of the 360 demos are close to 1gb. I guess I should buy a 2gb card with the system.

The system itself has 512MB of internal storage for VC games and other downloads, which will hold quite a few NES & SNES games, but if you start downloading a bunch of N64 titles, that's not going to go very far. Purchasing an SD card seems inevitable, although I also remember that it was rumored to support USB storage, so I might get a chance to use that mini 4GB hard drive at some point (or just allocate a few GB to storage on my iPod, heh).

If they allow you to use USB storage the console will be hacked so fast their heads will spin.

They haven't announced Java for the webbrowser AFAIK. Also, you aren't "mounting" the sensor to your TV, it just gets placed near the TV - it's not stuck on or anything (allowing it to work with projectors as well.)

And you're not spending $50 on Wii Sports. To do that would mean that the bare console/controller is $200 - which it's not. It's simply cheaper in Japan, as are the controllers. That happens quite frequently in gaming. In reality, they MIGHT be charging you $10 - $20 bucks for the game. And you haven't even played it yet so why not actually reserve judgement? It's not like we're taking in-depth Madden type stuff here - it's fun little party versions of golf, bowling, boxing, tennis and baseball. I know a ton of people who hate sports games but who like stuff like Punchout or Hot Shots Golf, which these are obviously modeled after.

You can be pissed all you want, but $250 for a console, saved game storage, a game and one set of controllers is a good deal. With it's closest competitor, if you are willing to go with the gimped 360, you pay $300 console, then for a memory card or hard drive, and then for an actual game. Nintendo is still at least $100 cheaper than that right from the start.

I like the pack in title... at least when someone gets a system for Christmas (possibly only the system) they will have at least something to play Christmas morning. (Then they can go buy a game on Boxing Day or something)

The pack in title will hook the non-gamers, which is Nintendo's goal. Little Jimmy will be playing it and other family members will wanna give the remote a shot.

As for the Light Gun add-on... I would guess that Nintendo will be revealing more (like the DS connection to the Wii) in the next 2 months.