IGNORED

More disappointing Wii news. :(

CPUWIZ

I'm wondering if the only way to lock out illegally copied games is to install the region lock?

But still, as long as they keep their promise about online Wi-Fi games, I'll be happy. I do not need Mr. Iwata saying, 'people don't want online games' again, especially when the DS is using Wi-Fi online.

Astoundingly lame. I hope that some hacker finds a backdoor to the system and busts it wide open faster than you can say "Dreamcast" or "PSP." It's exactly what Nintendo deserves after all this deception.

JR

No worries, I am sure it will take the Gamecube modchip guys no longer than a few weeks.

Well, right now the truth is pretty much up in the air. Nintendo of America has said the system will be region free but have the ability to have the publishers decide if they want to turn on region protection but that 1st party titles wouldn't be region protected.

However, Nintendo of Europe says otherwise.

So - we either have...

A.) Nintendo of America is right, Nintendo of Europe are idiots.

B.) Both are right, American/Japanese systems region free, European locked.

C.) Nintendo of Europe right, Nintendo of America are idiots.

I'm hoping that the system remains region free - as I love that about the DS (Ouendan was awesome). Quite frankly, Nintendo of Europe are known for faulty information and being steps behind their American and Japanese counterparts. However, this one really remains an unknown. I'm really hoping for region-free though...I'm sure some site like IGN will get NOA to clarify soon.

Well, right now the truth is pretty much up in the air. Nintendo of America has said the system will be region free but have the ability to have the publishers decide if they want to turn on region protection but that 1st party titles wouldn't be region protected.

However, Nintendo of Europe says otherwise.

So - we either have...

I'm hoping that the system remains region free - as I love that about the DS (Ouendan was awesome). Quite frankly, Nintendo of Europe are known for faulty information and being steps behind their American and Japanese counterparts. However, this one really remains an unknown. I'm really hoping for region-free though...I'm sure some site like IGN will get NOA to clarify soon.

I bet it will end up like the 360, where the publishers get to decide wether or not a game is region locked.

CPUWIZ: That's kind of what I'm expecting too. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I don't really import unless it's something spectacular. I know for the DS especially that alot of European gamers were importing from the US pretty frequently due to many games being released stateside first so I guess they'd have a more major gripe than I would. For the U.S. as long as the major import candidates (Anime-based stuff like Bleach) get released region free I don't see this being a giant issue.

CPUWIZ: That's kind of what I'm expecting too. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I don't really import unless it's something spectacular. I know for the DS especially that alot of European gamers were importing from the US pretty frequently due to many games being released stateside first so I guess they'd have a more major gripe than I would. For the U.S. as long as the major import candidates (Anime-based stuff like Bleach) get released region free I don't see this being a giant issue.

I am a big fan of shooters and they never (or rarely) get released here, so to me it is an issue.

So - we either have...

D.) Nintendo (of Japan) is the only Nintendo that matters. If they want/need region locking, they'll get it in any and all territories.

I don't think this question will be answered by anyone like IGN. We'll know when the systems begin shipping, but I suspect the games will have region coding where "needed" for legal/licensing/distribution/content requirements. Region locking usual reasons -- no swastikas on German titles, no Brittany Spears on UK titles without signed approval from the record label, no boobies in USA games, etc. I don't understand why some but not all XBOX 360 titles are region encoded, but that might have something to do with it.

Is importing really such a big deal these days? It seems to me that pretty much everything of interest on the GameCube in Japan was released in USA/Europe fairly quickly. I used to be a big importer in the dark ages of the Sega Saturn and Dreamcast, but not anymore. I don't think *I* changed that much.

Not an issue for me... don't play imports.

Well there was this one time on the Dreamcast that I had to play Tokyo Bus... couldn't really play it as the game wanted me to follow Japanese directions.

I'm just glad to know I have two stores with a Wii pre-ordered for me. Once I get one, I'll cancel the other one. From the sounds of the negative talk on here though, I don't think I'll have that tough of a time to get one on launch day. :)

When the controller was shown, people complained and cried... Then people got over it.

When people found out it wouldn't be as powerful as the PS3, 360. They cried, and moaned... Then forgot about it.

When people heard the name "Wii."

YOU GUESSED IT!

They cried and moned... Then forgot about it.

I doubt this will be much different.

When the controller was shown, people complained and cried... Then people got over it.

When people found out it wouldn't be as powerful as the PS3, 360. They cried, and moaned... Then forgot about it.

When people heard the name "Wii."

YOU GUESSED IT!

They cried and moned... Then forgot about it.

I doubt this will be much different.

I haven't forgot int he least. :cool:

Granted the fact that it can't play imports doesn't bother me personally. I think i played maybe 2 imports on the Dreamcast and that's about it.

I'm wondering if the only way to lock out illegally copied games is to install the region lock?

Of course not. The 2 features are wholely unrelated.

The fact that companies tend to piggy-back the region code into the copy-protection scheme means nothing.

The fact that companies tend to piggy-back the region code into the copy-protection scheme means nothing.

Indeed.

Trivia: Do you know why companies are starting to ease up on the region locks? :?:

Indeed.

Trivia: Do you know why companies are starting to ease up on the region locks? :?:

Better profits with no region locks? :ponder:

Indeed.

Better profits with no region locks? :ponder:

No, it is the only defense in court that modchip makers have, without a region lock the only purpose of a modchip is piracy. ;)