IGNORED

More disappointing Wii news. :(

CPUWIZ

I am a big fan of shooters and they never (or rarely) get released here, so to me it is an issue.

Yep, that's me, except that I'm far less technically inclined than you, as my soldering skills resemble those of a one eyed dyslexic chimpanzee.

I'm really dissapointed about all of these idiotic decisions by Nintendo. Just when I thought that they were going to do something SMART for a change. Ah well, guess you can't expect big business to do something intelligent. Idiots. I'm not going to buy one at launch now.

Its actually funny - you'd think these companies would learn - in 2 weeks there will be 50 sites selling modchips for the consoles to open them up... what companies like Nintendo, Sony, MS should do is simply sell a "Global regional player upgrade" and sell a CD or plug in module that recodes the lockout chip to open up. The companies themselves might as well make a profit from what is going to happen no matter what in an underground cottage industry anyway.

Curt

God dammit. :x

I was excited to be able to play Japanese imports without a mod for once, but nooooo!

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=19686

:x

I'm wondering if the only way to lock out illegally copied games is to install the region lock?

Of course not. The 2 features are wholely unrelated.

The fact that companies tend to piggy-back the region code into the copy-protection scheme means nothing.

Indeed.

Trivia: Do you know why companies are starting to ease up on the region locks? :?:

Better profits with no region locks? :ponder:

No, it is the only defense in court that modchip makers have, without a region lock the only purpose of a modchip is piracy. ;)

That's what I suspected.

And I'd like to amend that statement to "the only purpose anyone cares about."

Modchips also allow homebrew programming, which is what's usually used for flashcart defense.