IGNORED

Were M Network protos released commercially?

Philflound

This seems like a strange question, but were prototypes used as part of the regular distribution in stores and put in normal cartridge cases? I ask this because I'm working on the label variation list again and am scanning carts and adding new variations to the M Network section. So I pull out my copy of Burgertime and it feels rather heavy to me. Probably 1 1/2 times the weight of the Astroblast cart I had scanned right before it. Then I look at the circuit board. The Astroblast looks like a perfect square, meaning that the card goes into the rest of the cartridge and I can't see it. That is when you look into the two holes next to the prongs that go into the unit. It is dark inside and I could probably see all the way to the back of the cart if I had a light. The Burgertime on the other hand expands out. I don't know if I can properly describe this, but the white card begins to expand towards the outside of the cart. When you look into the two holes, you see the circuit board instead of it being empty space where you would be able to see the back of the cart. It looks sort of V shaped before it hits the square part of the card that you put into the unit. Hope that explains it. I don't want to destroy my cart, since it's nice and I think I may only have 1 or 2 others. I'm going to look at the other copies or copy I have and see if it has the same type of circuit board. I'll update this when I find out. In the meantime, if anyone has info on this, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Phil

Ok, ignore this. Though I don't have another Burgertime, I saw a few Bump N Jumps that has the same thing, and I think the He-Man game. Again, these feel heavier. The only thing I can think of is that these games used more memory or something and have more circuits to them.

Phil

Yes, they have a rather large RAM chip and several ROM chips (bankswitched), the majority of M-Network carts are simple one chip 4K games that weigh practically nothing, compared.