IGNORED

wii launch line up set and ready

sega saturn x

If you like ugly games I suppose that's you're perogitive but I'm not fond of having my games look like they have mud smeared on them.

You know exactly what I mean by kiddie crap, sponge bob and avatar the last air bender lets not pretend here.

Well I don't know about your TV, but EVERY screenshot I have ever seen on the web or in print looks darker/muddier/more jagged than it looks on my TV screen.

@NE146

Exactly my thoughts about this adult/kiddie nonsense that pops up so often. :)

Lets not get bogged down in adult Vs. kiddie bull shit, happy feat, open season, sponge bob, avatar, cars and ant bully are all KIDS GAMES.

Happy Feet?

Did you say HAPPY FEET?

Happy Feet ROCK! :cool:

Come on, dance with the penguin! Da da da da... da. Water to your eyes... Daaa da da daaaa... I love you so... Doo doo doo da da doo... Woohoo! :D

You know exactly what I mean by kiddie crap.... avatar the last air bender lets not pretend here.

Avatar is awesome. I'm not buying the game or anything, but that show friggin rules dude

I wouldn't know, I generally don't watch kids shows.

Then what do you play for games? After all, shows like Avatar and Spongebob and movies like Cars and Happy Feet are aimed at all audiences. They are the TV & film equivalents of being rated E for Everyone. Do you generally avoid non-violent E rated games as well, because they are "Kiddy" paying no attention to if they could be fun. Do you avoid Mario games because they are cartoony? Let me guess, you didn't like Wind Waker because of the art style?

Watch the Spongebob movie and tell me that's just for the kiddies and I'll know that you're simply being closeminded. The Spongebob game looks tremendously fun with a great variety of levels and really nice graphics.

It sounds like your problem is less with the lineup and more with your limited tastes in gaming.

Then what do you play for games? After all, shows like Avatar and Spongebob and movies like Cars and Happy Feet are aimed at all audiences. They are the TV & film equivalents of being rated E for Everyone. Do you generally avoid non-violent E rated games as well, because they are "Kiddy" paying no attention to if they could be fun. Do you avoid Mario games because they are cartoony? Let me guess, you didn't like Wind Waker because of the art style?

Watch the Spongebob movie and tell me that's just for the kiddies and I'll know that you're simply being closeminded. The Spongebob game looks tremendously fun with a great variety of levels and really nice graphics.

It sounds like your problem is less with the lineup and more with your limited tastes in gaming.

Far too verbose of a response. You should have just said, "You are a sad, strange little man. You have my pity." He wouldn't get it. :lol:

No - I'm simply asking you what you are willing to play. You seemed to be bashing that group of games based on their being "kiddy" rather than on graphics, gameplay mechanics, or any other rational reason. You then responded that they were kiddy based on the fact they are based on family programming and that you don't watch that stuff.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that.

I then asked simply if you discount all games that are cartoony or aimed at a general audience as that is apparently what you do with TV and Film.

To me, not playing Spongebob because it's kiddy makes no sense if you're willing to play Mario.

What the hell are you people talking about can you name ONE good spongebob game? Or one of these kids movie tie in games that didn't suck, ever? Mario, kirby, donkey kong games have been chronically awesome. And NONE of them are at launch, yet again just like the cube. I play games based on quality, which tie ins always lack, even mature movie tie ins. With the exception of riddic, but that's about it.

What a joke, I say those kids games look like shit and suddenly I hate all E games. That's the problem here there is no middle ground you're either all for something or all against. Is it possible I like BOTH? Way to put words in my mouth.

Did anyone ever tell you that you take life WAAAY too seriously? :P

Da da da daaaa doo... come back once more... da da da daaaaa doooo...

What a joke, I say those kids games look like shit and suddenly I hate all E games. That's the problem here there is no middle ground you're either all for something or all against. Is it possible I like BOTH? Way to put words in my mouth.

Did anyone ever tell you that you take life WAAAY too seriously? :P

Da da da daaaa doo... come back once more... da da da daaaaa doooo...

Maybe, but I'm right about a lot of the members here as well.

Maybe, but I'm right about a lot of the members here as well.

Uh huh. See, I'll bet your blood pressure went up by 20% or so just thinking about it. You need to loosen up; take life a bit easier. Do the relaxing things that most other adults do.

You know, like go watch Happy Feet when it comes out. :ponder: :lol:

Edited by jbanes

Seriously? Limited just to the 2 consoles I play (PS2/DS) - here we go!

Spongebob Battle for Bikini Bottom - OPM 4.5/5

Spongebob the Movie - OPM 4.5/5

Spongebob DS - IGN 7.7/10

The past few games have been really good. The movie game is especially fun - and the graphics at least on the PS2 are really good.

Other good movie tie ins

Over the Hedge DS - IGN 8.2/10

Cars PS2 - IGN 7/10, OPN 4/5

Finding Nemo DS - IGN 7/10

Finding Nemo PS2 - IGN 7/10

Tak: Juju Challenge PS2 - IGN 8/10

Tak: Power of Juju - IGN 7.9/10

Ice Age 2 PS2 - IGN 7.9/10

Of these - I've played Nemo DS, Cars PS2, and Over the Hedge DS and can say that they are all very good games. I personally put Over the Hedge as one of the best DS games so far. There is definately shovelware out there (I have a feeling the Barnyard game is one), but don't lump them all together. Spongebob especially has put out some exceptionally good games on the current gen consoles, and Cars is a fun racer.

OPM is hapitually awful, but I take ign seriously enough. Regardless, I know tak/ice age/ finding nemo are mediocre platformers aimed at children. The reviews know this and 9/10 somewhere in the review you will see "great game for kids." I even purchased super princess peach fro crying out loud, obviously I'm one of the gamers who plays games strictly on hwo violent they are. But you know what else? Peach is a boring boring game, yet it still got high grades. Stop tryign to pretend these games are on the same level as mario or donkey kong because they aren't.

And Jbanes not that I don't love being insulted, but I thought I should defend myself for the hell of it.

Edited by sega saturn x

Seriously, Over the Hedge DS is easily among the best on the DS, and I would put Spongebob the Movie against any of the best 3d platformers. Maybe not Mario level, but honestly, with the exception of Mario himself not much is. Finding Nemo DS is a mini game compilation that is very good as well, not Feel the Magic good, but good nonetheless.

Peach is an excellent game that if anything got worse scores than it deserved. You found it boring? I thought the exploration and mood powers and the graphics to all be excellent.

Is this the first Nintendo system to lauch without a Mario game (and yes I count Luigi's Mansion as a Mario game)? That's not good...

And yes I know Super Mario Bros didn't launch with the Famicom in Japan (DK and DK Jr were actually the launch titles there), but it did launch with SMB here.

Tempest

And Jbanes not that I don't love being insulted, but I thought I should defend myself for the hell of it.

There's nothing to "defend". You create an artificial dichotomy between "kiddie" and "non-kiddie" games, then argue, fuss, and fight that "kiddie games" are not for adults.

Well, I'm an adult. Many of the other folks here are adults. I'm willing to bet that most of us have seen (and enjoyed!) movies like Cars. I'm betting that most of us will see and enjoy Happy Feet. I'm even willing to bet that games based on these movies have no particular "kiddie" connotations for most of us.

I'm not insulting you, I'm telling you to grow up and be a kid again. Life's too short to be serious all the time. :D

Is this the first Nintendo system to lauch without a Mario game (and yes I count Luigi's Mansion as a Mario game)? That's not good...

Well, technically it is launching with both Super Mario 64 and Super Mario World via Virtual Console if I have my facts right. I realise those aren't new games of course, but the DS and GBA both launched with older (though upgraded) Mario games only.

Zelda trumps all anyway I should think. It ought to attract more 'established' gamers off the bat just on reputation and anticipation. Those of us craving Mario games, have several alternatives for now as n8 mentioned.

I'm not insulting you

This is a funny way of not insulting me.

Far too verbose of a response. You should have just said, "You are a sad, strange little man. You have my pity." He wouldn't get it.

There's nothing to "defend". You create an artificial dichotomy between "kiddie" and "non-kiddie" games, then argue, fuss, and fight that "kiddie games" are not for adults.

Kiddie games=games geared toward children, are you seriously trying to tell me happy feet isn't aimed at children? Adults may enjoy it but it's a kids movie. A six year old may love Alien but that doesn't mean it's a kids movie, see what I'm saying?

I'm even willing to bet that games based on these movies have no particular "kiddie" connotations for most of us.

When you buy a wii you just play happy feet to your hearts content then.

I'm not insulting you, I'm telling you to grow up and be a kid again. Life's too short to be serious all the time

I'm not serious all of the time, but being goofy and off the wall doesn't generally get you anywhere in an arguement.

Edited by sega saturn x

I'm not insulting you

This is a funny way of not insulting me.

Far too verbose of a response. You should have just said, "You are a sad, strange little man. You have my pity." He wouldn't get it.

See? You didn't get the reference. Someone get this man an infusion of family entertainment, stat! :D

Kiddie games=games geared toward children, are you seriously trying to tell me happy feet isn't aimed at children? Adults may enjoy it but it's a kids movie.

Yes, I'm seriously trying to tell you that Happy Feet isn't aimed at children. Like most animated movies these days, it's aimed at adults and children. i.e. It's designed to appeal to all ages rather than limiting itself to a particular age group. Why do you think that the studio is simultaneously releasing the film into IMAX theaters? It's not because people have nothing better to see in expensive IMAX theaters.

You see, Disney realized years ago that adults enjoyed animated movies just as much as children. The problem was that if a movie specifically targeted children, then the parents would be less likely to want to watch it. (Basically, it was insulting to their intelligence.) So they started making movies that have plenty of content intended to go right over the heads of children.

Beauty and the Beast was the first major culmination of that idea, even going on to win a Golden Globe and earn an Academy Award Nomination for Best Picture. (The only animated film ever to do so.) Pixar continues that tradition. If you've seen The Incredibles (which I know you probably haven't), it's almost shocking how adult of a movie it is. Themes dealt with are WAY over the heads of most kids, yet that doesn't seem to affect their enjoyment of the film. (Perhaps children don't need to be patronized like many people think they do? :ponder:)

A six year old may love Alien but that doesn't mean it's a kids movie, see what I'm saying?

Nope, not a clue. Having things burst out of people's stomachs in a gory mess isn't exactly family friendly. However, my children do always hop on my lap when Star Trek TNG is on. Now that's was family entertainment. :)

Also, it may surprise you that Looney Tunes and most contemporary cartoons were NOT targeted at children. As a result, a lot of the humor was considered a bit racey for the children of the time. From here:

While the early thirties cartoons never directly catered to a younger audience, the cartoons consisted mostly of musical singing/dancing and generally contained a sense of innocence (mostly as a result of imitating the Disney style). By the late thirties, the series had become edgier, and was more obviously targeted to the adult moviegoers of the time.

The Looney Tunes series' popularity was strengthened even more when the shorts began airing on network and syndicated television in the mid-to-late 1950s under various titles and formats. However, since the syndicated shorts' target audience was children and because of concerns over children's television in the 1970s, the Looney Tunes shorts began to be edited to remove scenes featuring innuendos, ethnic stereotypes and extreme violence.

Yet today, most people consider Looney Tunes to be kids cartoons. To steal a phrase: Funny ain't it?

Okay, I have to admit that I stopped reading before the last four responses or so because this is totally lame. SSX has been, for all intents and purposes, just behind Figgler as the poster boy for Nintendo fans here on these forums. He has often become involved in the debates on kiddie versus adult, and took the stance that a game is not just kiddie because of how it looks (IIRC Jungle Beat is one of his favorite games, and you use a Fisher Prce drum to make a monkey grab bananas in that one). I'm sorry, Cars is a kids game. If you like it, good. I love the new Ninja Turtles show, Sonic X, and The Batman, but I don't want to claim I'm their target market. If you need to pull off some mental gymnastics to feel like Cars, the game, is directed at you, fine. However, if every person over the age of 15 who was going to buy Cars didn't buy it, the game would not perform significantly worse. Just because Sony and MS fanboys have argued that an E rating means a game is a kiddie game (lets remember that that is a retarded idea that only retarded people would believe), doesn't mean that saying a game is kiddie means you think all "E" games are kiddie. Some "E" games are directed at kids, that's just the way it is. "That's so Raven" is rated "E", and if you like it good for you, but it certainly IS directed at young girls and not at 20 year old men. The E doesn't always imply that "everyone" is the target market.