IGNORED

wii launch line up set and ready

sega saturn x

Regarding the Wii launch, I don't know, it looks okay. I had thought it would be unquestionably the best launch ever; it is not. Also, I've lost some of my desire for the new Nintendo console of late because they have been, to understate it, unkind to Cube owners. Still, I suppose I'd like to pick up Super Monkeyball and Red Steel (which I am still thinking will be alright). I just won't be picking them up on day one now.

I don't know why they aren't launching with a Mario title.

My guess is that they're holding off on releasing Metroid to coincide with, or follow on the heels of, or slightly precede, Halo 3's release. I guess they don't want Microsoft to make that kind of a splash and for them to look weak at that time.

Only good thing for me with this launch is there isn't one thing on there that I want. Zelda is a possibility someday when things get cheaper and I'm impressed with how it controls, but I'd rather play the Game Cube version at this time. And it might beat the PS2 launch, but I'd say the Nintendo 64, Playstation, Game Cube, and Xbox all had more games at launch that I wanted to play. Nintendo 64 alone had Super Mario 64, Pilotwings 64, and Wave Race, which are all games I still play today.

I don't see why some people call games like Pilotwings and Wave Race as glorified tech demos, the two games in each of those series on consoles have been very popular and recieved excellent reviews. I guess Pilotwings didn't sell as well as Nintendo expects since it hasn't seen a sequel in a decade and neither of the versions ever went players choice, but I think people liked it.

Going to take impressive support for the virtual console, bundling in the classic controller so developers won't be scared to use it for primary control besides Nintendo with SSB, and for titles like Super Paper Mario and Metroid Prime 3 and other great games to draw me in. I'm not interested in the current control setup, though if used appropriately with a game that I find appealing, I'm sure I could enjoy it.

" Or one of these kids movie tie in games that didn't suck, ever? "

Off hand, the two that come to mind for me would be The Lion King on the Super Nintendo and Cars on current platforms. Have you seen Cars? Might be a kids movie but its one of the best movies I've seen in a long time, I wouldn't mind purchasing it on DVD. The developers of the game tie in on current consoles actually did the movie justice too. Over the Hedge and Ice Age 2 were cute as well, but I haven't tried the games yet.

"If you honestly think happy feet is meant for adults as much as it is for children well I can't help you. You're simply delusional and see no reason to keep arguing."

I haven't seen this movie, but I have no reason to doubt it. I think similar things have been done with other recent animated movies such as Cars, I didn't feel like it was made for a 10 year old, seemed to be pretty well rounded and appealing to everyone.

Edited by Atariboy

On the topic of "kids" games.

I push this game like it's a drug - but Over the Hedge DS is amazing. It's not the same as the console versions, it's a 3d platformer where you have to use stealth and teamwork ala Lost Vikings to retreive items from homes and construction sites. It's fun, tricky and downright pretty.

Atariboy: I agree with you on the "tech demo" thing - especially on Wave Race. I've yet to see a game on any console that does water racing as well as the Cube Wave Race game did. It's really fun and still looks phenominal - no way is it a demo of any kind.

And definately the Lion King is a great example of movie tie ins done well. Virtually all the 16 bit Disney games were great, Aladdin, Toy Story, Mickey Mania, Quackshot, etc. My secret love is Pocahontas for the Genesis, it's so well done and relaxing to play.

I thought of another game that I had to bring up - Lilo & Stich on the GBA. While I do have a personal love for the movie (easily in my top 10 of all time) the game is a shmup like Metal Slug that is top notch. I would even argue the game is too hard for the "kiddies".

You can't hate a title based simply on the fact it's a licensed game anymore. Companies are getting better and better at putting out good stuff that's appropriate for all audiences. While I do know that at least 2 of those launch titles appear to be crap - Spongebob and Cars at least have more than proven themselves worthy of praise.

"I push this game like it's a drug - but Over the Hedge DS is amazing. It's not the same as the console versions, it's a 3d platformer where you have to use stealth and teamwork ala Lost Vikings to retreive items from homes and construction sites. It's fun, tricky and downright pretty."

Can you control the squirrel (I forget his name) with a laser pointer like the racoon does in the movie? :) I really enjoyed Over the Hedge, sounds like the DS game is something I should check out.

Only good thing for me with this launch is there isn't one thing on there that I want. Zelda is a possibility someday when things get cheaper and I'm impressed with how it controls, but I'd rather play the Game Cube version at this time. And it might beat the PS2 launch, but I'd say the Nintendo 64, Playstation, Game Cube, and Xbox all had more games at launch that I wanted to play. Nintendo 64 alone had Super Mario 64, Pilotwings 64, and Wave Race, which are all games I still play today.

Wave Race didn't come out til about 3 months after the launch of the N64.

"I push this game like it's a drug - but Over the Hedge DS is amazing. It's not the same as the console versions, it's a 3d platformer where you have to use stealth and teamwork ala Lost Vikings to retreive items from homes and construction sites. It's fun, tricky and downright pretty."

Can you control the squirrel (I forget his name) with a laser pointer like the racoon does in the movie? :) I really enjoyed Over the Hedge, sounds like the DS game is something I should check out.

Basically each level gives you a preselected team of the racoon, squirrel and turtle - either 1,2,or 3 of them depending on the level. Each has special powers unique to them, the squirrel can climb objects, the turtle can go into a shell and lift heavier objects etc. Here's a basic early level:

Start in the back yard - there are lasers blocking the back door. Switch to the turtle and curl into your shell. Then, switch to the racoon (via touchscreen) and pick up the turtle and throw him at the switch to turn them off. You now go into the house - but crap - the kitchen too is blocked by laser traps - and no switch visible. So - you throw the turtle over the lasers, he goes into the kitchen and shoves a chair through the lasers, which the racoon uses to jump over this set of laser. Switch is in the kitchen, you chuck the turtle at it. The level then continues as you scour the house for the item.

Another great trick is in some levels there are guard dogs, you can put a character up high, where the dog can't reach, hit Y and yell/talk/breath into the microphone - the dogs will run to the noise giving you time to switch to the other character and run past the dogs.

It's really alot like a 3d Lost Vikings.

"I push this game like it's a drug - but Over the Hedge DS is amazing. It's not the same as the console versions

Does anyone know if the console version is any good? I'm trying to get the most out of the 24 games offered for the Cube this year, so I'll try anything even remotely good.

That page excludes metal slug anthology , and I know it's a compilation but frankly it's the first time 1 and 2 have been available in the US, plus the ps1 port of x is terrible,

regardless out of the launch line up I don't care what any one else thinks I' think red steel looks incredibly cool, I usually don't care about fps but it appeals to me,

though I'm not buying a wii, my brother is,

though what is with all this about wii games being ugly? oh wait that's right it's been official decided by the royal order of techno-philes that games on par with resident evil 4 are here by ugly

though what is with all this about wii games being ugly? oh wait that's right it's been official decided by the royal order of techno-philes that games on par with resident evil 4 are here by ugly

Or it could be the fact the new games coming out are leaving the wii in the dust.

That page excludes metal slug anthology , and I know it's a compilation but frankly it's the first time 1 and 2 have been available in the US, plus the ps1 port of x is terrible,

regardless out of the launch line up I don't care what any one else thinks I' think red steel looks incredibly cool, I usually don't care about fps but it appeals to me,

though I'm not buying a wii, my brother is,

What do you mean Metal Slug 1 and 2 weren't released in the US? We've had them on the Neo Geo for years.

Or it could be the fact the new games coming out are leaving the wii in the dust.

You're making it sound like Wii's graphics are actually a big step backward. I'm a little surprised by this considering I know you like the DS, but PSP games following this logic leave the DS in the dust. Clearly that isn't the case. The difference is gameplay of course and that will shine through for Wii as well I am sure. You are a classic gamer, like the majority of us here, so really I can't understand the graphics whore mentality. I mean you keep talking about "shameful graphics" and how other systems have better versions of games coming out. Better looking you mean? Big deal. You could say the same thing about almost every multiplatform game that ever came out for PS2, since they were genrally the weaker of the 3 versions visually. And you could say the same about every console game when compared to a PC version. Doom 3 for Xbox wasn't shameful was it? Even though the PC version was by all accounts a thousand times better looking.

Looking at pretty pictures isn't fun. How you interact with them is.

Get over it already.

You're making it sound like Wii's graphics are actually a big step backward. I'm a little surprised by this considering I know you like the DS, but PSP games following this logic leave the DS in the dust. Clearly that isn't the case. The difference is gameplay of course and that will shine through for Wii as well I am sure. You are a classic gamer, like the majority of us here, so really I can't understand the graphics whore mentality. I mean you keep talking about "shameful graphics" and how other systems have better versions of games coming out. Better looking you mean? Big deal. You could say the same thing about almost every multiplatform game that ever came out for PS2, since they were genrally the weaker of the 3 versions visually. And you could say the same about every console game when compared to a PC version. Doom 3 for Xbox wasn't shameful was it? Even though the PC version was by all accounts a thousand times better looking.

Looking at pretty pictures isn't fun. How you interact with them is.

Get over it already.

Better graphics=better interaction, everyone should know that by now. And moreover the DS makes ugly games in spades I simply don't buy them. I buy 90% 2-d games for the thing and it works very well. The wii is going to be 98% 3-D so that nixes that idea.

Better graphics=better interaction, everyone should know that by now. And moreover the DS makes ugly games in spades I simply don't buy them. I buy 90% 2-d games for the thing and it works very well. The wii is going to be 98% 3-D so that nixes that idea.

Everyone probably would know that if it were true. Looking at something has nothing to do with interacting with it. How you control and manipulate what you're looking at is what interaction is all about.

What you're talking about is immersion and I'll give you that good visuals can enhance that. It stops there though. Tactile real interaction trumps visual stimulation any day. That's why guys like srewing ugly girls in real life much better than watching someone else bang a red hot girl on DVD.

Edited by figgler

Take oblivion for example, could the game be anywhere near as huge or involving if it were running on anything else? Not without losing everything that made it special in the first place.

*scratches head*

So you're saying that it's the graphics that make the world so large and character interaction so interesting? :?

Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with complex data structures, good storywriters, and experienced level designers? Nah, must be the graphics. So, are you the "I heard the graphics was crazy!" guy or the "I'm gonna beat you, and it's gonna hurt, because... I don't know." guy? :lol:

I'm not even sure what that last bit is supposed to mean, nor did I say those other things were unimportant. The graphics allow the the developers to really bring their world to life in new and interesting ways. Graphics are the difference between having a fully realized world and a mass of muddy pixels. Look at bishock, gears of wars, lair, oblivion, mass effect, devil may cry 4, lost planet, the graphics really bring the games to life. Good design is a given I shouldn't even have to mention that. Would these games be half as immersive on the wii? I highly doubt it.

Edited by sega saturn x