IGNORED

Picts of Atari 5200 Boulder Dash in Yellow, Pink, Black and Red

Atari2600.com

Production of Boulder Dash® for the Atari 5200 is now complete and pre-ordered games will begin shipping later this week. Pictures of Boulder Dash® shown in all four colors have recently been added to the Atari2600.com News page. The YELLOW version is shown below.

Box_Yellow_Open.jpg

Boulder Dash® is the ultimate underground journey, but be forewarned- nothing less than perfection is required. Boulder Dash® will challenge your mind and reflexes like no other game! The objective of Boulder Dash® is to search through each cave and collect its many jewels in as short a time as possible. Once the indicated amount of jewels have been collected, the door to the mysterious escape tunnel is revealed and, you go on to the next cave. Strategy and planning will help you master the physics of Boulder Dash®. Boulders drop predictably enough but you and Rockford™ also have to block amoebas, transform butterflies, outmaneuver fireflies and overcome other numerous obstacles.

Boulder Dash® has been produced in a total quantity of 100 serialized games. Each game features a game cartridge with colored label, full-color instruction manual, and game box. These 100 games were manufactured in four different colored serialized boxes, each in a quantity of only 25 each. Pink boxes have been assigned serial numbers 1-25, red boxes 26-50, black boxes 51-75, and yellow boxes 76-100. The enclosed game cartridge has been electronically serialized on the title screen to match the box number.

Pre-order your favorite color of Boulder Dash® today!

Atari2600.com

Co-Publisher, Distributor

Edited by Atari2600.com

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, this is a 400/800 title that was ported to the 5200. Boulder Dash is one of my favorite Atari 8-bit computer games!

OK, that makes sense, though I am still hoping that the 2600 version can eventually be released. I am also a huge fan of the original Boulderbash and Repton games.

Chris

Darn, for a minute I though this was the long awaited Boulderdash for the Atari 2600. This raises the question why a 2600 release couldn't now be made, since the main stumbling block appeared to be trademark issues?

I think the issue is that with Boulderdash for the 5200, First Star Software is simply getting to pocket more money from their own code. They own the code and all the rights, and so there's no ambiguity over who gets the money or the credit. By contrast, if the game is ported to another really different platform (the 5200 is basically the same platform as the 400/800) then issues become much murkier because a lot of what's "there" would have been written by someone outside FSS.

Another issue is that the 2600 can't really do an accurate port of Boulderdash. Andrew's notBD kernel is very impressive, as is my own Ruby Runner kernel, but both are limitted to showing an area half as wide as what the real Boulderdash shows. First Star Software may not want the Boulderdash name associated with something that isn't a perfect port of BD, but such a perfect port would simply not be possible on the 2600.