IGNORED

Atari PnP TV Games Joystick Parts Useful?

A.J. Franzman

I saw one of those Plug 'n' Play TV Games things that looks like a classic Atari 2600 CX-40 joystick in a thrift store today, and after fiddling with it and remembering poor reviews similar items have gotten, I wonder if any parts from it would be useful to repair a real CX-40. I noticed that the fire button uses an elastomeric contact (silicone rubber w/ carbon dot) instead of a metal click dome, so I figure all of the direction inputs are probably similar, which means that none of the internal parts (and obviously not the cables or either of the case halves) will be useful, but what about the rubber boot? From the outside, it looks virtually identical to the original.

As someone who has rebuilt quite a few CX-40 sticks, I know that one of the more common parts to be in need of replacement is the rubber boot. I figure if this one is compatible, and these games start showing up in thrift stores for about $2 or less, it might be worthwhile to buy them just for the boots. The stick I saw today was $2.95 plus tax, and I wasn't sure the boot would work in a CX-40, so I didn't get it this time.

Also, is there more than one style or revision of these PnP units that look like a CX-40 stick? If so, are they all by the same company, with identical mechanical parts?

Oddly enough, I think the rubber-cap carbon dots would be activated in the same manner, by the same mechanism, in this case, if you follow me.

I have one of these sticks, I just ran a thread about it recently. I had the entire thing open, and repaired one of the failed carbon dots with a left over carbon dot from an RSI SI stick. When I had it open, I remember noting that the stick handle core itself was pretty much like the original. But, again, without opening it again, I couldn't quote you that it was *exact*. It was very similar, though. White plastic, a ring at the bottom, with reinforced areas of plastic where you would put pressure on the directional switches as you moved the stick in one of the 8 diretionals.

But it doesn't use the metal click domes.

For $3, If you want to pick it up for me, let me know. I'm willing to repair these things... and the games are decent, if not perfect.

• 2 years later...
Oddly enough, I think the rubber-cap carbon dots would be activated in the same manner, by the same mechanism, in this case, if you follow me.

I have one of these sticks, I just ran a thread about it recently. I had the entire thing open, and repaired one of the failed carbon dots with a left over carbon dot from an RSI SI stick. When I had it open, I remember noting that the stick handle core itself was pretty much like the original. But, again, without opening it again, I couldn't quote you that it was *exact*. It was very similar, though. White plastic, a ring at the bottom, with reinforced areas of plastic where you would put pressure on the directional switches as you moved the stick in one of the 8 diretionals.

But it doesn't use the metal click domes.

For $3, If you want to pick it up for me, let me know. I'm willing to repair these things... and the games are decent, if not perfect.

yeah just buy it then look for a 6v dc power pack and rip apart solder the power pack to the battery

terminal input wires and you have a instant plug play atari joystick that actually works i suggest you buy a extention cord so you can actually plug the power pack into the outlet and still have the thing infront of the tv as most power packs are short wired but for $2.95 thats less than the one i got for $4.95 so youres would be ½ off to mee I would get it just to get the built in games..