IGNORED

Have you ever worked on a commercially released video game?

Rhindle The Red

Have you ever worked on a commercially released video game?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever worked on a commercially released video game?

• Yes, I've done a lot of work
    • Yes, but my contributions were small
    • No, but I'd like to
    • No, it doesn't interest me

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I did beta testing for a bunch of Macintosh game developers in the early 1990s, including Berkeley Systems (After Dark screensavers, You Don't Know Jack trivia games-- top stuff, very cool -- the owners closed up shop and went on to form MoveOn.org), Ambrosia Software (shareware games and applications, very nice), and the music video game "Total Distortion" (which was rather crappy).

I am and probably always will be interested in games design and project management, but I'm not at the point in my life where I could take a big pay cut and run the risk of ruining the fun of my hobby. I content myself with reading Game Developer and EDGE.

If I were made of money, I'd fund something like Wing Commander Prophecy for the GBA -- maybe a DS version of something like Battlesphere or TIE Fighter.

I've never been involved in any type of commercial game, but I did beta test Win 95 at one point. Plus the washington post was beta testing some internet access service (this was back when Compuserve and Genie were big contenders). It was pretty neat but it got ursurped by direct internet access (internet providers, etc). I'm pretty sure they pulled the plug on it.

It was kinda fun though. Downloaded a bunch of Doom mods.

Closest I came to beta testing a game is I signed up for the ultima online beta testing, but I just never got around to installing it on my computer. Still have the disc sitting around somewhere.

Edited by Shannon

Thomas, you're not couting your own stuff as "commercially released"?

I never thought about it before, but I'ev actually done a bit of game work. I was a beta tester for Battletech (the sit-down simulator version). I suck at it, so I was thrown in as the berzerker element who doesn't know what he's doing.

I've done voice work for games - mostly Flash stuff released online as part of an ad campaign. I also just did a gig as the voice of a narrator for an online trivia video game - also as part of a "viral" marketing thing.

Right now I'm doing the sound design and some voice stuff for an RPG for the PC that will be available in stores next year. It's by a small indy company, but it'll be the first time that I'm working on a game project that sells at retail. I'm also supposed to be doing some writing for an upcoming game, but we'll see... :)

Came close to accepting a job at one of the smaller (but still well known) game houses. Actually, I did accept, and then backed out. Six years later and I'm still feeling guilty about that, though I believe it was the right decision.

That's been my brush with the gaming industry.

I'd interviewed with Iguana in Austin back in '95. They were working on Turok stuff then. I think that week Acclaim bought that company out. Of course Acclaim filed bankruptcy and took Iguana with it.

Many schoolmates went on to work for small firms contracted by IBM, Sony, etc only to get bought up and locked out or absorbed into SONY. They had a good time, "working" 100 hours a week wasn't abnormal. They lived at work. Not something you can do with a family. But at the time, I was still in school and spending every waking moment on an SGI Indy modeling in Alias 3D software.

At one time, I did regret not getting that job... then I saw the bust and all my pals scattered.

A year later I was offered a job at a large SUNGLASSES COMPANY (starts with an O) as a designer. Same day I was offered a job at a defense contractor.

I sometimes regret not going to work at Oakley. :ponder:

Been programming games since 1985, many games on many different platforms. Currently, there is a PS3 on my desk.

Very interesting. I'm not really interested in the current stuff, but I would be curious to know what you may have worked on in the past. Willing to share any specific titles? Any amusing anecdotes?

I've been doing professional game programming for over ten years now - coin-op, GBA, ps2/xbox/ngc, psp, and 360/ps3. I did launch titles for the psp and 360, and recently finished a PS3 launch title. I did a bunch of freeware Apple 2 and c64 games in junior high/high school in the 80s.

[Edit] I remember the first day I ever did any programming - by brother taught me how to do a few things in Applesoft basic, and my mom worked in the community college's lab which had an Apple ][+, so I tried a few simple things. Stuff like trying to make a spaceship made out of *'s animate using GOTOs. Then came typing in programs from magazines of the era, then came skipping lunch in junior high to work on games in the lab. It all snowballed from there. I didn't do much game programming in college, but I did a little demo maze game for Windows 3.1 which somehow got me my first job... it was horrible.

Edited by BydoEmpire

It's a dream for many, unattained by most.

Have you every contributed to the production of a video game? Anything counts, from artwork to manufacturing to "additional programming".

If you have, on what title(s) did you work?

If not, why not?

If AtariAge counts as commercial, then yes...I did the artwork and logo for Marble Craze. I also did an illustration for Go Fish (attached, copyright 2005 Daryl Litts Design) that I never posted, but wish that I had...I didn't check the site for a while and just missed the deadline. That's what I get for neglecting AA.

post-4150-1160000647_thumb.jpg

I used to get together with a friend of mine when he was working on Black Crypt for the Amiga (Raven Software). I suggested the underwater levels, though admittedly the effect never really worked as well as the underwater effects in Doom, Quake, or even Cat3d (all of which came later I think).

It's a dream for many, unattained by most.

Have you every contributed to the production of a video game? Anything counts, from artwork to manufacturing to "additional programming".

If you have, on what title(s) did you work?

If not, why not?

No, but someday I hope to. I'm buiding a special bedroom in which to write one, so I'm quite serious about this.