IGNORED

PC to TI99/4A interface?

AussieAtari

Well maybe once most of the carts are on disks I'll spring for one, but for now I'll wait. There aren't a ton of TI-99 disk games and I own a ton of cartridges. Besides, someone snagged the one on ebay.

I thought a GramKracker could dump carts to disk. Then again, you actually have to own one of those...

Tempest

Well maybe once most of the carts are on disks I'll spring for one, but for now I'll wait. There aren't a ton of TI-99 disk games and I own a ton of cartridges. Besides, someone snagged the one on ebay.

I thought a GramKracker could dump carts to disk. Then again, you actually have to own one of those...

You can dump carts with a GramKracker, but you need a GramKracker to actually play them as well. Besides dumping carts isn't the problem now, as we have probably all the dumps already.

Don't hold your breath waiting for someone to put the rest of the modules on GPL sim disks. They were done a long time ago, and unless somebody steps forward with the code to convert them or figures it out themselves, it's not going to happen.

To have some kind of flash cart ability would be cool.

Well, I can tell you that having the equivalent of a PE box, a 32K expander card, a disk controller card, and three floppy drives (which are essentially hard drives) all in that tiny little thing plugged into the side of your TI is AWESOME! :lust: :cool:

Edited by remowilliams

I'm about to blow out my TI-99 collection either here or on ebay in case anyone's interested in a TI gaming setup. I've got a large selection of good games, MBX games, tons of edu carts, controllers and controller adapter and a few rare games from Databiotics.

I'd be interested. Send me a PM with what you got.

Tempest

Well, I can tell you that having the equivalent of a PE box, a 32K expander card, a disk controller card, and three floppy drives (which are essentially hard drives) all in that tiny little thing plugged into the side of your TI is AWESOME! :lust: :cool:

Now that's just blatant gloating :D

Does anyone know why these things are only available on eBay and not through a vendor or direct?

Now that's just blatant gloating :D

Oh my, you're not going to like this then... :P

Here is a list of all the module dump disks I've aquired and their contents. And yes - I have them all loaded on the CF card. :D An unfortunate amount of dupes, but there's still good stuff in there.

Modules Compilation 001 (1988)(-)[req. PHM 3026].dsk	Adventure / Amazing / Attack / Blackjack Poker / Blasto / Home Mgmt / Car Wars
Modules Compilation 002 (19xx)(-)[req. PHM 3055 option 3][DSK1.GAMES].dsk	Espial / Buck Rogers / Congo Bongo / Miner 2049er / Tombstone City
Modules Compilation 003 (1988)(-)[req. PHM 3026].dsk	Frog Jump / Picture Parts / Pyramid Puzzler / Space Journey/ Star Maze
Modules Disk 01 (1989)(-)[req. PHM 3026][USGROP314A].dsk	Axel F / Caverns / Moonbase / Clowns / Hopper / Jaw Breaker
Modules Disk 01 (1989)(-)[req. PHM 3026][USGROP315B].dsk	Simon / Ms-Pacman / Pinball / Pizza / Popeye / Q*Bert / Springer
Modules Disk 02 (1989)(-)[req. PHM 3026][USGROP315A].dsk	Barrage / Buck Rogers / Crossfire / Drive Demon / Rabbit Trail / Jumpy / Princess & Frog / Anteater / Ambulance
Modules Disk 02 (1989)(-)[req. PHM 3026][USGROP316B].dsk	Moonmine / Roto Raider / Spotshot / Tennis Typo Tutor 2
Modules Disk 03 (1989)(-)[req. PHM 3026][USGROP316A].dsk	Angler / Demon Destroyer / Demon Attack / Kluulo Empitre / Shamus / Black Hole
Modules Disk 03 (1989)(-)[req. PHM 3026][USGROP316B].dsk	Scrabble / Munchmobile / Stargazer 1 / Stargazer 2 / Stargazer 3
Modules Disk 04 (1989)(-)[req. PHM 3026][USGROP317A].dsk	A-MAZ-ING / The Attack / Bigfoot / Blasto / Buck Rogers / Car Wars
Modules Disk 04 (1989)(-)[req. PHM 3026][USGROP317B].dsk	Chisolm Trail / Congo Bongo / Hustle / Parsec / Star Trek
Modules Disk 05 (1989)(-)[req. PHM 3026][USGROP318A].dsk	Espial / TI-Invaders / MASH / Meteor
Modules Disk 05 (1989)(-)[req. PHM 3026][USGROP318B].dsk	Moon Mine / Moon Sweeper / Sewer Mania
Modules Disk 06 (1989)(-)[req. PHM 3026][USGROP321A].dsk	Adventure / Black Jack Poker / Football / Hangman / Mind Challengers / Othello / Indoor Soccer
Modules Disk 06 (1989)(-)[req. PHM 3026][USGROP321B].dsk	Picnic Paranoia / Video Chess / Video Games 1 / Yahtzee / Zero Zap
Modules Disk 07 (1989)(-)[req. PHM 3026][USGROP324A].dsk	Five Card Draw / Cerberus / Dig Dug / Frogger / The Mine / Rackette Ball
Modules Disk 07 (1989)(-)[req. PHM 3026][USGROP324B].dsk	Video Vegas / TI-Toad / Great Word Race / Story Machine / Worm Attack
Modules Disk 08 (1989)(-)[req. PHM 3026][USGROP320A].dsk	Alien Addition / Alligator Mix / Demolition Division / Dragon Mix / Equations / Percents
Modules Disk 08 (1989)(-)[req. PHM 3026][USGROP320B].dsk	Grammar / Meter Multiplication / Minus Mission / Touch Typing
Modules Disk 09 (1989)(-)[req. PHM 3026][USGROP319A].dsk	Editor Assembler / Music Maker / Physical Fitness / Real Estate / Video Graphcs
Modules Disk 09 (1989)(-)[req. PHM 3026][USGROP319B].dsk	Budget Management / Demonstration / Disk Manager 2 / Easy Debug / Home Finance
Modules Disk 12 (1989)(-)[req. PHM 3026][USGROP323A].dsk	Badwalls / ET at Sea / ET Go Home / Fathom
Modules Disk 12 (1989)(-)[req. PHM 3026][USGROP323B].dsk	Karate / Mancala / Pyramid / Wing Wars / Hunt the Wumpus
Atari Cracked (19xx)(-)[req. PHM 3055 option 3][DSK1.ATARI].dsk	Pacman / Donkey Kong / Moon Patrol / Protector II / Dig Dug

Miscellaneous Modules 01 (19xx)(-)[req. PHM 3026].dsk	Berlin / Break-Thru / Guardian / Solitaire / Oh Mummy / AxelF
Miscellaneous Modules 02 (19xx)(-)[req. PHM 3026].dsk	Beyond Parsec / Popeye / Midnight Mason / Mancala / Micro Pinball / Blackhole / Nibbler
Miscellaneous Modules 03 (19xx)(-)[req. PHM 3026].dsk	Lasso / Moonbase / Perfec Push / Shanghai

Games Modules (1995)(-)[req. PHM 3026][USGRP1090B].dsk	Alien Addition / Alligator Mix / Demolition Division / Dragon Mix / Meteorite Multiply / Minus Mission
Games Modules (19xx)(-)[req. PHM 3026].dsk	Solitaire / Macroman / Spad XIII Simulator / Pizza / Fireball / 4Aflyer
MBX Modules (1985)(-)[cr Hacker's Guild][req. PHM 3026][USGROP661A].dsk	MBX Honeyhunt / MBX Soundtrack Trolley / MBX Superfly

• Like 1

So,

If you're into the TI/994A

I know a guy named Jim Hathaway. Last I know he was living in Tennesse and working for Proctor and Gamble. He has designed a couple of cool retro gadgets for the TI. I think that includes a IDE adaptor card, although I'm not certain.

The info above should be enough to allow you to track the guy down by Google search.

Is the TICF adaptor still available? If so, where can I get one?

If you're still looking, he's still making them (and he just sold four in the last couple of weeks). They're even a new improved design with onboard power circuitry and a switch :cool:

Just look on ebay for items from schmutzig1952.

I am most impressed, you have some great games there that I have not seen on the TI since it was selling in the shops.

I'm very envious of Congo Bongo, Moon Patrol and Miner 2049er.

I have actual carts for Congo Bongo and Moon Patrol.

I am most impressed, you have some great games there that I have not seen on the TI since it was selling in the shops.

I have all three an unfortunately they suck. Not all TI games are good. Moon Patrol isn't bad, but Congo Bongo and Miner aren't very good (considering Miner and Congo are missing two levels).

Come to think of it, did any cartridge version of CB have all four levels or were the extra two levels only found on the disk versions? I never would have thought my Apple II version of CB would be superior, but it appears it might be...

Tempest

I have all three an unfortunately they suck. Not all TI games are good. Moon Patrol isn't bad, but Congo Bongo and Miner aren't very good (considering Miner and Congo are missing two levels).

I never said I PLAYED Congo Bongo.

I have to agree with you, the thing's a dog.

• 2 weeks later...

whoops.

Okay, my printer isn't recognizing the TI formatted CF as readible. It is probable that this thing will only seek recognized windows volumes or it's just broken. I'm thinking of going out and just getting a card reader. Can someone else who used this TICF adaptor tell me the type of card reader they used? Just in case it matters?

Okay, my printer isn't recognizing the TI formatted CF as readible. It is probable that this thing will only seek recognized windows volumes or it's just broken. I'm thinking of going out and just getting a card reader. Can someone else who used this TICF adaptor tell me the type of card reader they used? Just in case it matters?

If I'm reading that correctly, you're plugging a CF card into your printer? Does your printer normally make CFs inserted into it available to your PC?

In any case - you do know that the CF TI format is not readable at all by Windows - correct? If not re-read the instructions. ;)

I've used a couple different card readers, it shouldn't make a difference.

If I'm reading that correctly, you're plugging a CF card into your printer? Does your printer normally make CFs inserted into it available to your PC?

In any case - you do know that the CF TI format is not readable at all by Windows - correct? If not re-read the instructions. ;)

I've used a couple different card readers, it shouldn't make a difference.

No, it shouldn't make a difference, but apparently it does which is why I'm asking. My printer has a media card reader built into it. I've used two out of the four slot formats previously with no troubles. I put the CF card in the CF slot and the printer blinks "Reading..." for a little while and then says "Card Access Error". Not all that surprising as the CF card is in TI format. (fyi, the reader is in an HP Photosmart 7350)

With the card in the CF slot, I go to a command prompt in XP to use the TI specific utilities and type, for example, "dsk2cf c:\ti994a\HITCHHIK.dsk 2", the program tells me there are no flash drives connected.

I may be doing other things wrong and if by reading what I've written you can point them out, that's great! I'd appreciate it; but what could really, really help me would be for you to please tell me the brand names of the card readers you used successfully, so that I don't go out and buy a card reader that does that exact same thing as the card reader I'm already using which is essentially nothing.

Thank you in advance. I really appreciate it.

With the card in the CF slot, I go to a command prompt in XP to use the TI specific utilities and type, for example, "dsk2cf c:\ti994a\HITCHHIK.dsk 2", the program tells me there are no flash drives connected.

Well, you're almost exactly on the right track there, it just seems that your printer/CF reader isn't cooperating :) Syntax is cf2dsk <volume#> <DSK file>

I'd appreciate it; but what could really, really help me would be for you to please tell me the brand names of the card readers you used successfully, so that I don't go out and buy a card reader that does that exact same thing as the card reader I'm already using which is essentially nothing.

Two are no names, one pocket reader and one CompUSA floppy 6 in1 type of thing - but the best one I have, and the one I use almost exclusively now is the SanDisk Imagemate 12in1 reader.

Well, you're almost exactly on the right track there, it just seems that your printer/CF reader isn't cooperating :) Syntax is cf2dsk <volume#> <DSK file>

Okay, now you're confusing me. If I'm trying to copy something from my PCs hard disk to the cf, I use dsk2cf. If I want to copy something from the cf to my hard disk then I use cf2dsk. It think you're right about the syntax of cf2dsk, and if I ever use it I will have to remember to put the volume first.

Two are no names, one pocket reader and one CompUSA floppy 6 in1 type of thing - but the best one I have, and the one I use almost exclusively now is the SanDisk Imagemate 12in1 reader.

Great! Thank you! Now I have an excuse to go to CompUSA! ;) (A place I'm not supposed to go unless I need to buy something specific. That's one of those "wife ordinances".)

Okay, now you're confusing me. If I'm trying to copy something from my PCs hard disk to the cf, I use dsk2cf. If I want to copy something from the cf to my hard disk then I use cf2dsk. It think you're right about the syntax of cf2dsk, and if I ever use it I will have to remember to put the volume first.

DOH! Yes you are correct. dsk2cf <DSK file> <volume#>

Long day :)

Great! Thank you! Now I have an excuse to go to CompUSA! ;) (A place I'm not supposed to go unless I need to buy something specific. That's one of those "wife ordinances".)

"I swear I just went to get paper!" :D

Did you get your CFTI with the optional 32K SRAM installed?

• 1 month later...

Did you get your CFTI with the optional 32K SRAM installed?

Yes. I went with that and the power supply.

I got a card reader from Office Max, company name Digital Concepts item #CR-10M $10. Works just fine. The Imagemate 12 in 1 probably would've worked, too, but it was $40!

The trouble with my printer not reading the CF is that it's designed to function as a stand alone photo printer. You put in a card, it reads it and prints out the pictures. If it can't read the card, it doesn't even bother letting the attached computer know that there's anything in there.

Anyway, very cool gadget. Now I've got to get Tunnels of Doom up and running using it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...