IGNORED

NES High Score Club Week #6 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II

vdub_bobby

Put away your pistol and super secret spy skills and sharpen up your ninja skills: it's time for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game!

I didn't vote for this game, but I think I happen to own it - it is a port, an ok one if I remember correctly, of the arcade TMNT. Pretty standard three-quarters beat-em-up - very different from the 1st (NES) TMNT game.

Post a score and let's get this thing rolling!

Please post any tips you may have - best tip gets 1 bonus point!

Also, if anyone has a link to the manual, please post it. EDIT: mojofltr comes through again: this time, a scan: http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...t&p=1151582

A special note: Please don't post scores that were achieved after a "continue." All scores should be for a game that was started from the beginning. :)

This week's competition ends next Monday (Oct 16) morning at approximately 9:00 am PST.

This week's standings:

788 figgler (10 pts)

134 8th lutz (8 pts)

132 Cybergoth (6 pts)

132 mojofltr (6 pts)

132 vdub_bobby (6 pts)

Twin Galaxies Top Scores

269 Nik Meeks

131 Mr. Kelly R Flewin

Overall standings:

1. rjchamp3 (43 pts)

2. figgler (28 pts)

3. mojofltr (18 pts)

3. nester (18 pts)

5. Malc74 (13 pts)

6. MetalSlime23 (12 pts)

7. vdub_bobby (11 pts)

8. 8th lutz (10 pts)

9. LarcenTyler (9 pts)

10. keilbaca (4 pts)

11. MCHufnagel (2 pts)

11. remowilliams (2 pts)

13. BrianC (1 pts)

Tips

None yet.

Edited by vdub_bobby

Is it Ok to use a continue and immediately make a screenshot of the score then? It's the only way I found to grab a save shot of the final score.

131 is my best so far, I keep dying on the second boss.

BTW: What's your turtle of choice? I seem to do best with Raphael so far :)

BTW²: I'm playing on Nestopia, as FCEU seems too glitchy for this one, especially in the vertical scrolling sections.

Oh, wow... scored 1 better:

tt.gif

(Probably because I hit the chick on the skateboard this time? :ponder:)

@Bob: You know about the "special" attack move? It'll hit twice as hard, killing most regular enemies immediately. Just hit JUMP, then ATTACK ->***BEFORE***

Amazing scoring system on this one by the way. Get one point for each enemy, even for the boss :roll:

What I'd also critisize as *bad* game design, is that your enemies don't follow the same "rules" as the player:

They don't get hit from the steel balls :x

@Bob: You know about the "special" attack move? It'll hit twice as hard, killing most regular enemies immediately. Just hit JUMP, then ATTACK ->***BEFORE***<- the turtle sommersaults :)

Yeah, I know about that.

Amazing scoring system on this one by the way. Get one point for each enemy, even for the boss :roll:

Anyone know if same as arcade? EDIT: Just checked in MAME and, yes, same as arcade. So points for consistency, I guess.

What I'd also critisize as *bad* game design, is that your enemies don't follow the same "rules" as the player:

They don't get hit from the steel balls :x

I'm pretty sure that the original was better about this. EDIT: After checking - yes, arcade kills bad guys that get hit by giant steel balls. So points off for inconsistency here.

Also: the collision detection in this game sucks.

So, how do you defeat the first baddie Boss without getting worked over?

EDIT: See above. Don't know why I put "baddie" instead of "boss"...:dunce:

Edited by vdub_bobby

I feel like this game is not getting too much love from you guys. Personally I think it's awesome. One of the best NES arcade ports ever, and it was the perfect TMNT game at the height of TMNT madness.

You'd be hard pressed to find a game of the year list in 1990 that didn't have this game in it. :thumbsup:

BTW: What's your turtle of choice? I seem to do best with Raphael so far :)

Donatello all the way.

Made it to Scene 6 today. Stupid white magic tigers killed me twice.

New score; 595

post-3765-1160531967_thumb.jpg

Edited by figgler

I feel like this game is not getting too much love from you guys. Personally I think it's awesome. One of the best NES arcade ports ever, and it was the perfect TMNT game at the height of TMNT madness.

It is a very good port - though I think the gameplay suffered some. The iffy collision detection is driving me nuts!

Made it to Scene 6 today. Stupid white magic tigers killed me twice.

New score; 595

:o

132 for me last night, figured out how to kill the first boss.

post-6060-1160579505_thumb.jpg

I made it Krang today! He's the last battle before the final boss fight with Shredder.

I am starting to think that if I can fine tune my game in a few places (such as Bebop in Scene 2) and figure how to beat Krang who killed me 3 times, I might be able to finish this without using a continue.

I am not sure if the game loops after you beat it and if you'd start at Scene 1 again with your current score. If not the maximum score can't be much more than what I earned today, seeing as there are only 2 more guys to kill.

New score; 788

post-3765-1160704681_thumb.jpg

I made it Krang today! He's the last battle before the final boss fight with Shredder.

I am starting to think that if I can fine tune my game in a few places (such as Bebop in Scene 2) and figure how to beat Krang who killed me 3 times, I might be able to finish this without using a continue.

I am not sure if the game loops after you beat it and if you'd start at Scene 1 again with your current score. If not the maximum score can't be much more than what I earned today, seeing as there are only 2 more guys to kill.

New score; 788

:o

Well done! I haven't had much time to play this but I'm hoping to get in a few games over the weekend.

:) You guys are lucky I have been so busy with JAWS NES, I should be back next week, unless I must continue to defend my title OCTOBER 2003 My 3 year anniversery 10 days ago I was at 4:54,

NOW I passed SO CALLED ZIPLOCKS 4:19.

I will aim for 4:09 with a camcorder of course. :)

PS CONGRATULATIONS TO FIGGLER I HOPE YOU TAPED IT MAN, SEE YOU IN THE BOOK SOON

Register twingalaxies.com

:cool:

And we're done! Good job everybody, especially figgler! :o

Thank you very much.

Sadly not much competition this week though. I don't mean like that of course, don't misunderstand, but quite literally not much competition. Only 5 guys this week?

Also, I've decided that beating the game without continuing is all kinds of difficult and would take dedication beyond this week of playing and patience far beyond my own

• 9 years later...
  • 3 years later...