IGNORED

arcade port idea MOON CRESTA

liquid_sky

Obscure? Man I remember when that was the friggin hottest game around! You couldn't go anywhere without hearing the Moon Cresta melody playing while people popped in quarters to play. That game was everywhere.. movie theaters, stores, restaurants, laundry mats, wherever! You knew the good players because they were able to keep all three ships intact (I always lost the first right away :sad:) and when they got to the last stage (with the Dancing Spear Olives of Death) all but one of them charged right away! Now that was skills :D And Moon Cresta was cool because if you did well, you could win a free game. Now what other game did that? :) Not much..

I think it could make an excellent 2600 game.. you just need a guy with skills to do it. It might be a little scaled down of course, but what 2600 arcade port isn't :P

Enjoy another game!

Ok, so it wasent obscure, it was only obscure to me because I was too little when it was first around to pay it any heed:D .First time I played it was when the video store in town got it in the game room in around 1989, along with a double dragon. Growing up in a small town made for some shiiiiitty arcades.

All this talk made me wanna play it... and check it out. I got the first ship combination! :D But it took me about 4 tries :ponder: :P

By the way, just as an aside, Moon Cresta is available on Nichibitsu Arcade Classics for the SNES and the PSX. And let me tell you right now, THEY SUCK. There's definitely something wrong with the gameplay translation in both of them. Just trust me. The only good way to play this game is either on a real machine or via Mame which emulates it pretty much perfect.

post-31-1060850594_thumb.jpg

Obscure? Man I remember when that was the friggin hottest game around! You couldn't go anywhere without hearing the Moon Cresta melody playing while people popped in quarters to play.

Umm, actually, it's obscure as hell to me. I've never seen this game before. Not in childhood, not in college, not even at any of the vintage arcades or classic game conventions I've been to. My first thought on seeing the name was that it was somehow a rip-off of Moon Patrol - now THAT was a game you found everywhere whose melody you heard everywhere.

Obscure? Man I remember when that was the friggin hottest game around! You couldn't go anywhere without hearing the Moon Cresta melody playing while people popped in quarters to play.

Umm, actually, it's obscure as hell to me. I've never seen this game before. Not in childhood, not in college, not even at any of the vintage arcades or classic game conventions I've been to. My first thought on seeing the name was that it was somehow a rip-off of Moon Patrol - now THAT was a game you found everywhere whose melody you heard everywhere.

Hmm.. yeah, actually I thought about that after I posted it cuz I was thinking maybe it was only in my area (i.e. Asia and the Pacific Rim) where the game seemed to be hugely prevalant for a period of time. :ponder:

This was a time after the Space Invaders craze when the major form of arcade game you'd find were cocktails, but that seemed to be mainly an Asian arcade thing. So perhaps it wasn't as huge a deal in the U.S. mainland where they it was mainly U.S. manufacturers licensing jap games and upright cabinets were the norm instead :ponder:

Interestingly enough, if you start up Nichibitsu Arcade Classics for psx, you find a picture of a man playing what looks to be a typical generic Moon Cresta cocktail. That's the classic Post Space Invaders arcade I remember.. lotsa cocktails and lots of Moon Cresta :P

dude.jpg

My experience has always been that the "cocktail" arcade games are rare as hell, albiet as cool as hell. I think in my entire lifetime I've played maybe a dozen: Space Invaders Part II, Ms. Pac-Man, Galaga, Donkey Kong - certainly nothing as interesting as Moon Cresta. :P

Hi there!

Umm, actually, it's obscure as hell to me.  I've never seen this game before.

Maybe you've seen it's sequel, "Terra Cresta"? That one was quite popular on the C64, with its excellent Galway sound...

Greetings,

Manuel

That one I am familiar with. Moon Cresta I have heard of, but never played. Maybe the game was more of a regional phenomenon?

Hi there!

Maybe you've seen it's sequel, "Terra Cresta"? That one was quite popular on the C64, with its excellent Galway sound...

I haven't Manuel, but from your description it sounds like I'm missing out on something good. :(

It was no stellar, but a really Ok Shoot 'em up (Do they really say SHMUP these days? :roll: )

Here's the Lemon64 entry: Terra Cresta

You can download the SID file there as well.

Greetings,

Manuel

Yknow what's funny is when Terra Cresta came out in the arcades I totally gravitated towards it and played it a whole lot (I loved how you could become an invincible Phoenix). However it was only a few years ago (maybe two?) while I was on the good old World Wide Web that I discovered that Terra Cresta was the succesor to Moon Cresta.. and it hit me like a ton of bricks. Why I didn't see the name similarity and the fact that it came from the same manufacturer.. hell if I know. :lol:

• 3 months later...
My experience has always been that the "cocktail" arcade games are rare as hell, albiet as cool as hell.  I think in my entire lifetime I've played maybe a dozen: Space Invaders Part II, Ms. Pac-Man, Galaga, Donkey Kong - certainly nothing as interesting as Moon Cresta. :P

The only cocktail games I've ever seen were Original, Ms., and Super Pac-Man (No Jr.), Galaga, Frogger, Q*Bert, and Tetris . . . But a lot of them seem to have that option in MAME . . . Never saw DK or SI2, actually, I've never even seen a SI2 machine at all, and only a few originals . . . In the early-mid '80s in Alabama, Atari/Namco/Nintendo/Universal were about all you saw in the arcades . . .

• 2 years later...

I would like to see this on the 7800 after playing Nichibutsu arcade classics for ps 1 without playing the arcade game. I would like to see a version that is true to the arcade, some that I think the 2600 would have difficult to do. If is done on the 2600, it has to be at least 32k to get the game as close to the arcade if possible.

Moon Cresta being developed for the 7800 is a question at this time, with the not being many 7800 homebrewers and the homebrewers are trying to be more familar with the system. Unless if there is a homebrewer on the forums that is working on it or has plans on doing moon Cresta for the 7800 without anyone knowing about, it is more likely to be on the 2600 due to the amount of homebrewers or hackers for the 2600. I am hoping Moon Cresta would be developed for the 7800, but I am being realistic here.