Rhindle The Red

Do you own any import games?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own any import games?

• Yes, lots.
    • Yes, A few.
    • No, but I'd like some.
    • No, I'm not interested.
    • What are these "import games" you speak of?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I've got about 20-30 imported Saturn games. It helped that quite a few retail chains carried imported Saturn titles because the domestic releases were paltry... it got to the point where half of the cheap *used* titles at nearby game stores were Japanese.

I have a couple of Japanese Virtual Boy titles, a few European Mega Drive titles, and some Hong Kong pirates for the Famicom.

My largest collection of imports would probably be my UK C64 collection. I have around 100 tapes (cursed things), plus another couple dozen covertapes.

GBA:

Steel Empire (JP)

Mr. Driller Ace (JP)

KuruKuru Kururin (EU)

Kururin Paradise (JP)

Famicom Mini Ganbare Goemon (JP)

Famicom Mini Twinbee (JP)

Stafi 2 (JP)

Puyo Puyo Fever (JP)

F-Zero Climax (JP)

Goemon 1+2 (JP)

Game Gear:

Puyo Puyo Tsu (JP)

Magic Knight Rayearth (JP)

Magic Knight Rayearth 2 (JP)

Coca Cola Kid (JP)

Puzzle Bobble (JP)

GB:

Parasol Stars (EU)

Solomon's Club (UK)

DS:

Ouendan (JP)

Mawashite Koron (JP)

Goemon Toukai Dochuu (JP)

MD/Genesis:

Thunder Force III (JP)

Whip Rush (JP)

PSX:

Gradius Gaiden (JP)

Twinbee Deluxe Pack (JP)

Saturn:

Konami MSX Ultra Pack (JP)

GameCube:

Mr. Driller Drill Land (JP)

Zelda Four Swords+ (JP)

SFC/SNES:

Pop 'n Twinbee (JP)

Ganbare Goemon Kirakira Dochuu (JP)

Super Puyo Puyo Tsu Remix (JP)

I have a copy of bare knuckle (streets of rage) that I got with a lot

of genesis stuff I won on ebay, though the previous owner cut the

ends of the cart off so it would fit in a genesis.

Anyone else have this problem with used megadrive games?

The two MD imports I have were found at a yard sale and have the ends cut off. It looks ugly, but the games play fine. Still, there are much better methods of getting MD games to fit that don't involve trimming the sides of the cart.

Edited by BrianC

What do you think of game companies segmenting the market via region locklouts? I cannot be the only one who hates this. If it is a good game, it's a good game, and the audience should not be limited to a particular region.

I feel even more strongly about it since I read an article where Sony sued Lik-Sang for selling Japanese consoles to people in the UK/EU. It isn't like Sony wasn't profiting either way, right? But yet they won the suit somehow. Since when is it not ok to buy a Jap. console if you live elsewhere and want to play the games? Hell, the people who bought the import systems could have been real bastards and mod-chipped what they already had. From what I gather, this is the typical method of bypassing the lockout.

personally I've got a dozen or so european master system carts (name a better way to get sonic the hedgehog or golden axe warrior), a zaxxon european colecovision cart, Bomberman 5 for the snes, a japanese bonanza brothers for the genesis, a japanese vertical force for the virtual boy, street fighter 2 for the pc engine, several japanese saturn games, virtua figher 3 japanese, and like any neo geo owner that isn't completely insane (we all have to be a little bit to own one in my opinion) I have a dozen japanese neo geo games,

plus some pirage famicom carts, but I don't personally really count those

The two MD imports I have were found at a yard sale and have the ends cut off. It looks ugly, but the games play fine. Still, there are much better methods of getting MD games to fit that don't involve trimming the sides of the cart.

That's similar to what they did to my Power League 64 "cassette" (that's what's printed on the back of the game). The JP region lock leaves a pair of tabs on the side of the cassette where our N64 game paks have a cut out. The Japanese cassettes are notched further in, so it's possible to cut off the tab from the side of the cassette. That's what they did, and it left two ugly holes in the back of the cassette.

Once I get a game bit set, I'll finish modding the N64 so I don't gotta cut imported game like that.

And yes, I think region locks are complete bull.

I just have a few imports. One of them is a JP SNK NGPC complete Bust-A-Move because I love the series and just felt like grabbing the import instead of the flimsy US paper boxed one. It's the cases alone that temp me to only buy imports on the system and it's easy with the regionless system. The others I have are on the Saturn since that's my game system of choice.

ahh...bear in mind , my imports are your local games!

I've one or two jap megadrive games (Granada and Gynoug), and a Genesis copy of Starflight.

I've the US version of SNES : Shadowrun (involves a huge double adaptor contraption to run)

The NTSC version of Mastersystem: montezuma's revenge

and a Brazilian pirate copy of Montezuma's revenge/super cobra is making its way very slowly to me from Ebay at present.

By the way converting the UK Megadrive to run most Japanese carts involved the very low tech method of using a chisel to

knock off and file 2 notches on the cartridge port.:)

Edited by dr_bob

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I used to have a very nice collection of Japanese Sega Saturn games. I sold them off to finance my XBOX and never looked back. Fortunately they're easy and cheap to find nowadays.

I have a Japanese Dreamcast and routinely imported games for it months before they appeared in the USA. All of the arcade ports were in English and the small increase in price was offset by getting them early. Some games, like Rez and Space Channel 5 Part 2, were released in English in Europe only. These too are nice and easy/cheap to find now. :)

Wipeout 3 Special Edition for Playstation was only released in the UK, and I recently snagged a copy from Ebay. I need to drag out my chipped PSOne to play that sometime.

I found that PS2, XBOX, and Cube games were all released in the USA quickly enough that I didn't feel the need to import anything or do modifications on my systems. That's definitely an improvement from the PSX/Saturn days.

Lately, I've been buying DS and PSP stuff from play-asia.com. Their prices on region-free games are great, and their shipping times are very fast. They had Phoenix Wright 1 and 2 when nobody else did, at very reasonable prices. They also have great blowouts on occasion: just ordered Exit 2 and Mercury Meltdown for about ten bucks each.

It's fun having a version of a game that nobody else has.

I have 2 or 3 Sega Genesis imports, about 20 Saturn imports, maybe 30 Dreamcast, I think 3 PS2, 1 or 2 N64, 5 or 6 GameCube, a couple GBA, a couple NGPC, and maybe that's it. I had been taking a bit of a break from the import scene but I picked up a GameCube import while I was in Japan last month and saw a bunch of other games I want, so I'll probably grab them next.

So yeah, to me, regions mean basically nothing. I'll buy games wherever they happen to be on sale. And the only console I haven't modded to be region-free (if it was necessary to do so) is the Xbox, because there's no point. But a lot of my consoles are actually Japanese and I've modded them to play American games rather than the other way around.

• 3 weeks later...

I have at least one (and there may be a multi-game Game Boy cart around here somewhere, too, if I still have it). The one I can think of that I have is a version of World Series Baseball for the Saturn. I think they titled it Hideo Nomo's World Series Baseball and it does have the expected Japanese text all over the packaging but the announcing is actually in English which is weird....

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Lots. As a gamer in the UK, it's been all but necessary to do so. Not only (with the advent of the internet) are games loads cheaper but you'd be amazed at the stuff that didn't get released here. Wonder at these -

Katamari Damacy (seriously!)

Lunar Silver Star Story (which I have to admit I mainly imported for the packaging :) )

Xenogears (for f***s sake!)

There are more but I can't recall them for the moment. Not all terrible though, we did have the superb Doshin the Giant on GC (which inexplicably didn't reach US) and, of course, Shenmue II on DC.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...