IGNORED

We need to have an FB3!

Hi:

First off, I just want to say that it was absolutely a pleasure meeting Chris and 'Lx' from Atari ('Lx' and I had a small discussion about the music for the 2600, and about the company in general)

After all of the excitement about the FB2 giveaway, I can't see a reason to not have Curt and Mike go ahead with the FB3! I know personally I would buy more than one (one to keep and one to 'dissect') ;) - the FB2s I actually bought 6 of them :D

The retro market is still very much alive and strong. Please let them make the FB3 - you will not be sorry.

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus

Seems that everyone's mind is on the same thing.

Christmas would be the ideal time for them to deliver on this product.

Like JBanes, I've spent hundreds of dollars on retro-gaming and the FB2 was the thing that got me back into this. That money could easily have gone to Atari, rather than a bunch of shady eBay sellers. :)

I loved the FB2 - great product and new 2600 games are always welcome.

I would love to see the FB3 as the Atari 8-bits have tons of games to choose from and after hearing about all the FB3 could do, I imagine that it would be much better than similar products on the market.

It would also be great to seem them go beyond and do more Atari systems like this. ST, Lynx and Jag anyone? :D :D

I have to agree with PacManPlus that meating 'Lx' from Atari really was a total pleasure! He was knowledgable about so much more then I ever expected. And while I am definitely not up on programming I thorougly enjoyed our conversations over those couple days. I wish more people like him represented companies in general. I also wish I had more time to chat with the other reps from Atari since they were really cool, but our weekend was a bit err... hectic.

While we do of course have a FB2 and have fun with it, the positive experience we had with Atari at the Xpo will definitely increase the likelyhood of purchasing their future products in general- in all seriousness. I don't like supporting anything whose representatives have left a bad taste in my mouth.

As for the system itself, I like the fact that it's so much more then a "plug and play". Those we do have but don't take out of the packages and more purchase out of amusement or really cheap price.

The FB has developed (IMO at least) into something that not only more experienced "gamers" can enjoy but also can rekindle peoples enjoyment in classic games, or introduce younger kids to good simple fun and teach them that you don't always need the biggest and baddest graphics to have great game play. Everyone from my neighbors young children to my mother's boyfriend who had a 2600 "back in the day" (who will also be getting a FB2 of his own for the holidays) have found something fun about it.

We will buy a FB3 if and I most sincerely hope *When* the system is released- Especially if Curt and Mike are working on it - they've got so much talent! And although I have no idea what has been planned for the future or direction of the FB - I most sincerely hope it has a future since it will definitely have a place in our home. :)

Edited by Chickybaby

Curt,

If you original prototype has, as has been mentioned, some kind of memory cart/slot type of device, insist that they stick with a non-proprietary and readily accessible removable memory format, like SD card or CF. If they go with a proprietary game card device, it will hurt sales.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think the #1 thing the FB3 has going for it is the fact that the A8 catalog has not been driven into the ground in the retro scene the way the 2600 stuff has. Sure, it doesn't have the name recognition, but it is still Atari. I'm sure it would find a niche like the C=64 stick did.

I pray the FB3 will play A8 carts :thumbsup:

Eric

well, im not an insider of the retro scene but I wonder when there is an apperently vivid market for all kinds of NES and SNES clones (with the FCtwin the latest) there should be no doubt that a FB3 will be sold as well. Okay, givent NES and SNES are far more popular but many clones share only 1 market there. FB3 has it´s own market alone..

I think the #1 thing the FB3 has going for it is the fact that the A8 catalog has not been driven into the ground in the retro scene the way the 2600 stuff has. Sure, it doesn't have the name recognition, but it is still Atari. I'm sure it would find a niche like the C=64 stick did.

I pray the FB3 will play A8 carts :thumbsup:

Eric

That would be cool, but I doubt it will out of the box. Like the FB2, one would probably have to mod it. I know Curt has posted somewhere on these forums what the design is for the FB3. I hope that if/or when it comes out it will have all the bells and whistles that Curt talked about.

If you original prototype has, as has been mentioned, some kind of memory cart/slot type of device, insist that they stick with a non-proprietary and readily accessible removable memory format, like SD card or CF. If they go with a proprietary game card device, it will hurt sales.

I would like to see the device use an edge-card form factor with an EPROM interface, preferably with some banking hardware in the main system that could be either used or ignored as desired (so if a cart wants to use banking in the same way the base hardware supports, it can just be an EPROM, but if something fancier is desired it can be built). Mass-produced games could just stick a ROM die blob on a board and be done with it, but mid-volume and prototype boards would also be practical.

I would suggest that games which sell for $5 or less would probably not be a big piracy target. Sure someone could burn an EPROM and solder it in a board, but who would bother? More expensive games could easily include arbitrarily-complex anti-piracy circuitry on chip if desired (a little creativity with some simple hardware could make things quite interesting by e.g. having banking hotspots trigger in response to arbitrary sequences of memory accesses. Someone without a bus analyzer would find it impossible to dump the chip, and even someone with a bus analyzer may have a hard time making sense of everything.

I would like to see the device use an edge-card form factor with an EPROM interface, preferably with some banking hardware in the main system that could be either used or ignored as desired (so if a cart wants to use banking in the same way the base hardware supports, it can just be an EPROM, but if something fancier is desired it can be built). Mass-produced games could just stick a ROM die blob on a board and be done with it, but mid-volume and prototype boards would also be practical.
I wonder if this is what Curt had in mind when he wrote (sometime last August, I think) that the FB3 would have a cartridge interface that was pin-compatible with the original but in a different form-factor. That would certainly lend itself to a card based on a ROM die much more easily than, say, an SD card slot would.

And it would be great if a PBI pinout would exist. Then i could use the FB3 in an a8 case as a board replacement for the aging original hardware, leaving plenty of room for upgrades. Thinking of this purpose i'd like to see solderpads for the original 600/800XL keyboard as well.

Merry christmas,

Beetle