IGNORED

Difference's between atari 2600 jr. and atari 2600?

PSP-Maniac

Game select and reset switch on the Jr tended to be a bit hard because Atari used plastic circuit rather than physical switch but if they work fine, great.

Personally I prefer the lkarger 2600 because once in a while I'd run into stubborn 2600 cart that refuses to let go and the Jr is light enough to get picked up with the cart.

The "standard" 2600 and the junior model are both the same system in essence. The larger console, with the toggle switches, is the original, and the junior is a newer repackaged version of the same system that came out toward the end of the system's life (remember the ads - The fun is back, oh yes siree, it's the 2600 from A-tari-i!). So the only difference is really cosmetic.

The junior uses sliding switches and push buttons were the older console uses toggle switches. Also, the junior introduced a power light to the console. It's substantially smaller, looking more like a small, black wedge. The older console has an internal rca cable coming out of it that sends the signal to the TV; the junior has a plug on the back. Power supplies are the same, as are controllers.

The older systems, ironically, often produce better pictures and audio output, especially the very old ones with six toggle switches because of heavy shielding inside. (The six toggle systems have the difficulty settings on toggle switches next to the cartridge port, while the four toggle systems moved them to sliding black nubs on the back near the controller ports.)

Atari games should never freeze during gameplay. If any system does that, it's got a problem.

Edited by Brian R.

Well, I'm sure you know your 7800 can play 2600 games.

Not that that's a reason not to get a 2600. I have several, as well as one 7800.

But for me, my 7800 produces a much better image than my 2600s, and it's two systems in one, so I primarily use it.

I haven't had my six toggle 2600 out in a while. I need to dig it out. I believe it produces the best image of any of my 2600 systems. Only concern is scraping carts, because it's cart port is deeper.