IGNORED

Turbo / Atari 2600

xybot67

Are you still looking for donor carts Albert?

Very much so--I'm going to need another 150 or so good Coleco 2600 carts. By 'good' I mean carts that are free from scratches and are not terribly dirty, since the dirt shows up considerably more on these carts (due to their off-white color) than Atari carts. I'd say I've only been able to use about two-thirds of the carts that have been sent to me so far, and that's being generous.

..Al

How soon can we hope for a rom release? Is it just when the carts are sold out or is there a time frame?

I'm thinking I'll release the original prototype ROM shortly, and then the full version (with the menu and "Enhanced" version of the game) after I've sold 'x' number of copies of the physical game.  Perhaps when 200 copies of been sold. This was an expensive game to produce and I'd like to recoup my costs.  :)

..Al

Sounds good to me.  :thumbsup:

Very much so--I'm going to need another 150 or so good Coleco 2600 carts. By 'good' I mean carts that are free from scratches and are not terribly dirty, since the dirt shows up considerably more on these carts (due to their off-white color) than Atari carts. I'd say I've only been able to use about two-thirds of the carts that have been sent to me so far, and that's being generous.

You could move those who provide you with their own donor cart on top of a waiting list. That might accelerate the process a bit.

How soon can we hope for a rom release? Is it just when the carts are sold out or is there a time frame?

I'm thinking I'll release the original prototype ROM shortly, and then the full version (with the menu and "Enhanced" version of the game) after I've sold 'x' number of copies of the physical game.

Would be great, Al.

Thanks.

8)

Future cart-only option? I'd like a Coleco case, but wouldn't consider it a necessity. I'll keep an eye out for quality Coleco carts at my local Disc Replay. I can probably get 6 of them for around $5.

It cost a small fortune to print the boxes as well as make the inserts, so I'd prefer to sell all the boxes before I start offering loose carts. I can definitely use more Coleco carts, so if you can get your hands on them that would be great. :)

Thanks,

..Al

• 5 months later...

I'm thinking I'll release the original prototype ROM shortly, and then the full version (with the menu and "Enhanced" version of the game) after I've sold 'x' number of copies of the physical game. Perhaps when 200 copies of been sold. This was an expensive game to produce and I'd like to recoup my costs. :)

..Al

Can we expect the original prototype ROM to be released any time soon?

• 1 month later...

Not impressed. What does he mean by X number of copies? I say he never makes this ROM available so that everyone can enjoy it.

You're more than welcome to be cynical, but I have been involved in the direct release of a large number of previously unreleased prototype and other ROM images since AtariAge's inception ten years ago (and even before AtariAge with the 2600 Nexus). I put quite a bit of money up front in order to produce Turbo, and in my earlier post I said, "Perhaps when 200 copies of been sold". I haven't come close to that just yet. I have been extremely distracted with my full-time job the past five months, which has really slowed me down on this front. Thanks for reminding me, though.

..Al

• Like 4

Not impressed. What does he mean by X number of copies? I say he never makes this ROM available so that everyone can enjoy it.

You're more than welcome to be cynical, but I have been involved in the direct release of a large number of previously unreleased prototype and other ROM images since AtariAge's inception ten years ago (and even before AtariAge with the 2600 Nexus). I put quite a bit of money up front in order to produce Turbo, and in my earlier post I said, "Perhaps when 200 copies of been sold". I haven't come close to that just yet. I have been extremely distracted with my full-time job the past five months, which has really slowed me down on this front. Thanks for reminding me, though.

..Al

Holy Crap. 10 years ago? Sheesh. Where does the time go?

By the way, I bought that game from Al containing the original and the enhanced version. I don't think he restricts who can purchase the game so anyone can buy it and enjoy it. I would recommend picking up a copy! Well worth the $$$ for the effort he (and everyone involved) put into it! Take care!

• Like 1

I put quite a bit of money up front in order to produce Turbo, and in my earlier post I said, "Perhaps when 200 copies of been sold".

Actually you said...

I'm thinking I'll release the original prototype ROM shortly, and then the full version (with the menu and "Enhanced" version of the game) after I've sold 'x' number of copies of the physical game. Perhaps when 200 copies of been sold.

All I asked for is the original prototype (that you said you would release shortly). You can keep the enhanced version.....

I put quite a bit of money up front in order to produce Turbo, and in my earlier post I said, "Perhaps when 200 copies of been sold".

Actually you said...

I'm thinking I'll release the original prototype ROM shortly, and then the full version (with the menu and "Enhanced" version of the game) after I've sold 'x' number of copies of the physical game. Perhaps when 200 copies of been sold.

All I asked for is the original prototype (that you said you would release shortly). You can keep the enhanced version.....

Would be nice indeed.

I'm sure the enhanced version alone will keep attracting fans to buy the repro.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Would be nice indeed.

Not so sure. The original version can only be interesting for collectors IMO, since it is unplayable. The enhanced version is more targeted at the people wanting to play the game.

Would be nice indeed.

Not so sure. The original version can only be interesting for collectors IMO, since it is unplayable. The enhanced version is more targeted at the people wanting to play the game.

Well, let's wait another five years then.

I'm in no hurry.

8)

Would be nice indeed.

Well, let's wait another five years then.

I'm in no hurry.

8)

I'd also like to have the original rom as well. But I guess I can wait too. Eventually we'll get it.

Truth is if you really want it that bad, there is of course an easy way to get it.

It's just spendy though.

Spendy, yes, but it's a good way to support the efforts of people who really put themselves out there financially to acquire and preserve ROMs like these, much less putting together a nice collectible package for people to have. The more support there is, the more likely other releases like Turbo will happen in the future.

Spendy, yes, but it's a good way to support the efforts of people who really put themselves out there financially to acquire and preserve ROMs like these, much less putting together a nice collectible package for people to have. The more support there is, the more likely other releases like Turbo will happen in the future.

I think you misunderstood what I meant in my post.

I 100% agree with what you say, and I am one of those who did just that and purchased the game.

(and a great game btw)

Thirty some odd dollars is more then reasonable for a proto release like Turbo.

But what I meant by spendy was buying it, cracking it open, dumping the rom, disassembling

and dissecting the data, extracting the original rom, and hacking it onto a cartridge just

so one can have and play the original proto as it was when discovered. That's spendy.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm thinking I'll release the original prototype ROM shortly, and then the full version (with the menu and "Enhanced" version of the game) after I've sold 'x' number of copies of the physical game. Perhaps when 200 copies of been sold. This was an expensive game to produce and I'd like to recoup my costs. icon_smile.gif

..Al

Has the Turbo Rom been made avalable?

Nope. Many years ago it was mentioned by Albert that it would be when an unspecified amount of carts were sold.

My opinion is if Albert made the ROM(s) available for say a $2.00 donation to the site he would have many takers. Probably bring in more $ than Turbo cart sales from the last 2 years and then some. Yes a few unscrupulous folk might still try to get it from free from someone who has the ROM and of course it could easily make it's rounds on the web but I'd bet at least 90% of members here who want it would give the donation.

Edited by JL