IGNORED

Question - FB2 Portable?

This has been what I've been waiting for, but it has to have absolutely 100% 2600 compatibility this time, illegal opcodes, cosmic ark stars, kool-aid main, Galaxian, Supercharger, etc....

I'm not so concerned about odd bankswitching methods but I wouldn't bitch if they did included them also. Supercharger is asking a little much though as some of the SC games are not even possible to get to run in the way you ask. I'll just be happy with the specs Curt has layed out.

Could you also pack it as a small Atari Lynx unit? The Lynx is far too big to take with you in your shirt pocket but a small device that would resemble the Atari Lynx and run FB2 kind of stuff would be so cool. I don't care about a real cart connector if it has an USB on it and a few MB of flash.

--

Karri

I didn't buy a FB or FB2, but I would definitely buy one of these, as long as it:

1. Has a port (micro is fine) where I could plug in a joystick (or paddle), because I hate (left-handed) joypads.

2. Can download regular BIN files with >80% compatibility.

Thanks,

5-11under

I would buy one or more units straight away! (Don't care about the FB3). Build quality is important, though. I would prefer a FB2 portable with a really high quality game pad (like the original NES controller for example) to a cheaper unit of lower quality. Maybe there could be a special Deluxe version?

Regards,

Moderntimes99

Have a question for everyone -

Would everyone be happy if there were a FB2 Portable handheld with 2.5" TFT and a USB connection to a PC to d/l games into it and perhaps push the FB3 back as a later release?

Curt

I'd be all over something like that, especially if the means to add/dl extra games is not Windows-exclusive.

this would be a deal breaker for me as well.

i guess it would charge from the USB?

:?

USB and Firewire are the ONLY serial ports available on Macintoshes. Linux has pretty good support for USB as well. (Otherwise my Mouse and Keyboard wouldn't work.) USB is the best way to handle downloads, regardless of your OS or system. The only difference is that writing drivers for it is a little more involved than classic serial/parallel ports.

some USB flash drives require you to use special software to access the drive (it doesn't auto map as a drive)

my friend came over with a memorex pen drive and we HAD to use memorex's windows only software (loading from some small part of the drive that did auto map). what a pain in the ass.

other types map fine on my linux (or any) PC.

some USB flash drives require you to use special software to access the drive (it doesn't auto map as a drive)

And?

All you need is drivers written for other OSes. Supporting the removeable drive standard simply means that you don't have to write drivers.

Supporting the removeable drive standard simply means that you don't have to write drivers.

that is basically what I am requesting. perhaps this is a no brainer.

on another note,

how will the system know what bankswitching method to use? will that be set from a menu on the system, or from the PC when you connect to it?

I wouldn't worry about it. Curt has been extremely forthcoming with technical specs. If the FB2 portable requires a driver, you can be sure that he'll provide the info so that others can write their own. I'd give it about two weeks between launch and a driver being available on every system on the market.

how will the system know what bankswitching method to use? will that be set from a menu on the system, or from the PC when you connect to it?

Perhaps it will work a bit like the Cuttle Cart 2? i.e. A descriptor file will explain everything to the console.

I wouldn't worry about it. Curt has been extremely forthcoming with technical specs. If the FB2 portable requires a driver, you can be sure that he'll provide the info so that others can write their own. I'd give it about two weeks between launch and a driver being available on every system on the market.

Perhaps it will work a bit like the Cuttle Cart 2? i.e. A descriptor file will explain everything to the console.

excellent

Supporting the removeable drive standard simply means that you don't have to write drivers.

this is covered in the other forum

USB connection (Mount of a storage drive - so PC, MAC, Linux could all access) to download BIN files

No, a 2600 in a Lynx case is not appropriate, a 2600 woody theme'd case is what is in the works right now.

Curt

Could you also pack it as a small Atari Lynx unit? The Lynx is far too big to take with you in your shirt pocket but a small device that would resemble the Atari Lynx and run FB2 kind of stuff would be so cool. I don't care about a real cart connector if it has an USB on it and a few MB of flash.

--

Karri

The idea is to make it a standard USB HID so it would be recognized on Win/OSX/Linux systems.

Curt

I'd be all over something like that, especially if the means to add/dl extra games is not Windows-exclusive.

this would be a deal breaker for me as well.

i guess it would charge from the USB?

No, a 2600 in a Lynx case is not appropriate, a 2600 woody theme'd case is what is in the works right now.

Curt

--

Karri

I had thought about the lynx idea as well... but it makes sense to use a 2600 woody theme'd case. I think it would look really nice. I'm curious as to the overall size! Wow... this is going to be really really nice. I will end up buying two of these for sure. I think for the most part, everyone here will be buying one. It is a no-brainer and an instant favorite for many collections. Now I don't feel to bad for selling off my Portable Atari! LOL

I'll read through this again later... but I thought I heard somewhere that you'd try to make it easy for the hackers out there to include a cartridge connector (or was it a joystick connecter....) either way... this is great news! Stuff like this keeps me in the hooby! A while back I thought I was going to get out of it... then I ran across playing Thrus+ I love this hobby!!!

Asking for full 100% compatibility is asking a lot. It would be nice though.

I was under the impression some 2600 carts didn;t work because the FB2 unit (with cart slot mod) didn't put out full 5v and some cart needed 5v to work properly.

All I want is support for a few of the undocumented opcodes that were left out of the original CPU core. Especially SBX, as this opcode is needed in the latest bB kernel. Thus the newest bB games do not work at all on the current FB2.