IGNORED

Question - FB2 Portable?

Posted in the thrift shop/great finds in the wild thread:

I got a TG16 with a booster, turbo tap, three controllers and 12 complete games for $35 from a local man.

The coolest part of the whole deal (besides picking up two games I still needed, a turbo Booster, and some jewel cases I wanted.... for a good price to boot).... As soon as I gave the guy his money... he asked if I knew where he could get a Flashback 2 at. I directed him straight to a local Target. He was going there after I left. He wanted to mod it for a cartridge slot. :) :)

I love to hear stuff like that!!!!!

So... I plugged to him that he needs to go get that. Then I plugged the FB2 portable that will be coming out. The man's eyes got big and he was really really excited. :) Curt has another customer drooling over that idea!!!

I'm spreading the word Curt!!!! :) :) :) :)

My girlfriend's mother used to work in an assembly line (of sorts) where Activision used to make their games. She used to have a bunch of them at her home... and my girlfriend remembers actually playing Pitfall 2 before it came out along with a lot of strange titiles she doesn't see in my collection (I've got the majority of the activision games... so that is pretty cool).

I wish they still had those games.

I'll tell you this - I didn't buy the Flashback 1 or 2 - but I would buy at least 3 of these - I have several people who I'd get them for as gifts. The most awesome part would be I could open them up prior to gifting and put on games specifically for those people. I'll actually put money aside with our tax refund just to get them. Any idea on how much internal memory it would have?

Edited by n8littlefield

So, one question that no one's brought up yet is whether there'll be any sort of paddle controller.

There sure are an awful lot of great paddle game and it seems like there's plenty of waya that some sort of one-axis analog dial could be incorporated well into a small design.

I guess if the system has the ability to be hacked for external controllers like Curt mentioned, a built in paddle wouldn't be absolutely necessary, but it would still be nice since a lot of us aren't gonna want to go to all the work of putting in a controller port ourselves.

Also, how about a two player link port? All you'd need to do is pass controller signals from system B to system A and at the same time pass video/audio form system A to system B. If the screen is digital, that might be too many signals, but there's screens available these days that just take regular RGB or even composite I think thanks to embedded DACs. If the system had such a link port it could also double as the prime target for the controller mod.

...word is bondage...

There will be a connector on the side to allow (with the use of a dongle) to hook player 1 and 2 controllers to the unit, so paddles, trackballs and keypads would be able to be hooked up to it.

2 player capability is a nice wishlist idea, perhaps some talented programmers could use the player 2 ports from each Fb2 Portable to send signals back and forth to allow some basic connectivity.

Curt

So, one question that no one's brought up yet is whether there'll be any sort of paddle controller.

There sure are an awful lot of great paddle game and it seems like there's plenty of waya that some sort of one-axis analog dial could be incorporated well into a small design.

I guess if the system has the ability to be hacked for external controllers like Curt mentioned, a built in paddle wouldn't be absolutely necessary, but it would still be nice since a lot of us aren't gonna want to go to all the work of putting in a controller port ourselves.

Also, how about a two player link port? All you'd need to do is pass controller signals from system B to system A and at the same time pass video/audio form system A to system B. If the screen is digital, that might be too many signals, but there's screens available these days that just take regular RGB or even composite I think thanks to embedded DACs. If the system had such a link port it could also double as the prime target for the controller mod.

...word is bondage...

There will be a connector on the side to allow (with the use of a dongle) to hook player 1 and 2 controllers to the unit, so paddles, trackballs and keypads would be able to be hooked up to it.

2 player capability is a nice wishlist idea, perhaps some talented programmers could use the player 2 ports from each Fb2 Portable to send signals back and forth to allow some basic connectivity.

Curt

Holy hell, how did I miss this thread! I though it was related to a FB2 hack.

Curt - you get a real FB2 portable with the specs I've read over here, and you've sold me at least five! :lust: :D

Curt

Atari used one single wire for passing serial data in the Lynx. I am currently trying to create a small tranceiver to broadcast a '0' by sending a frequency and a '1' by sending nothing. A MAX7030 chip (used in cars remote keys) is capable of transmitting and receiving the state of 1 wire up to 66kbs and has no knowledge of baud rates etc.

But I seriously don't believe that FB2 Portable needs any connectivity.

On the other hand using a shift register and the MAX7030 chip you could make wireless joysticks and paddles for it. But that is a nice hack once the FB2 Portable is out.

--

Karri

Wow --- I've noticed this topic for a while but never bothered to click inside. It's great that Curt is even considering such a device, and if it comes to pass, that would be fantabuleriffic! It's like a Cuttle Cart *and* a portable Atari Anthology all in one!

If you can pull off the USB expandability without making legal waves, that would be terrific. I love the FB2 but the cartridge slot expansion is a bit more than I can do with my weak skills. Even a small flash space would be welcome -- 512K would hold a lot of ROMs -- but it would be like a dream finally come true to be able to carry around serious quantities of Atari cartridges in my pocket without resorting to emulation.

I would hope that a portable Flashback would be small in size. The recent VGPocket Caplet and Coleco Sega units seem to be workable -- not too miniature, but definitely pocketable. They sell for $40 and include TV-out which seems like a fair price. I'd buy portable Flashbacks with the expansion features for myself and likely a few gifts at this price.

Personally, I'd give up the TV-out and 2-player modes in exchange for single player expandability and convenience if it came to that. It's not like I have a lot of friends who want to play Combat on the road with me. ;)

Curt

Wait, so you can use an actual A26 controller (like the FB2 controllers) with the FB2 Portable?

BJ

Would everyone be happy if there were a FB2 Portable handheld with 2.5" TFT and a USB connection to a PC to d/l games into it and perhaps push the FB3 back as a later release?

I would be very interested in this. If you'd like any help supporting either 4A50 or 0840 banking, I'd be more than happy to assist.

I bought a Flashback 2 and a Sony LCDOne screen and have thought about hooking the two together - but it won't be pretty.

Hooking up a PSOne LCD to a Flashback 2 is extremely easy, and it does not need to be an ugly hack.

Back in October of 2005, I made a Flashback Portable. At the time, it was not anything for Atari, but my own personal "proof of concept." I used one of Ben Heckendorn's cases along with a FB2 board and a PSOne screen. I used some R/C car batteries to power the PSOne screen, and then I ran a wire from the 7805 voltage regulator on the back of the screen to the FB2 power connector. I hacked apart an NES pad for a controller.

I didn't do much with it once it was completed as I picked up a GP2X which became my portable 2600. :)

I will have to pull the unit out of the deep depths of my closet if anyone wants photos. (In fact, if I had been thinking, I should have taken it to vgXpo a few weeks ago when Curt and I were showing off the FB2 development/prototype equipment.) I have attached a photo of a FB2 running on a PSOne screen to show it can be done.

post-135-1163646528_thumb.jpg

Edited by mstulir

Even though I have a Flashback 2 already, I would definitely buy a portable Flashback 2. It would be better if it were more compatible with games than the "standard" Flashback 2, but I would buy it even if it's "only" as compatible as the original. I love the fact that you can upload your own games, and on a Mac too!

i was thinking about portableizing the FB2 the on board games with a cart mod are a big advantage over an old hacked portable 2600 when on the go. i guess ill have to wait to see if this comes out it'll be cheaper than i can build it and better:) you can't beat pluging into the pc to play all the games.

i think it should have rca outputs like 1/8jack to rca to play on full screen tv, probly end up as a hack to go with a jostick hack to use paddles and multi players.

to make it truly hack friendly leave impressed areas (to cut away) on the case to mount the d-subs and jacks. for that nice clean origional look.

if they link oooh!

i'd deffinatly get two then. then again my 6 year old loves these games so i'd probly get 2 anyway:)

Would I buy one? Hell yes! I only spent a few days dwelling over the idea well over a year ago and even made concept art.... going as far as working on a prototype. (not shown and didn't get very far)

My idea was to have it slightly longer than a credit card surrounded by black acrylic. The amount of games should be upped and the price may not be realistic but I liked the 'vader' portable version (which was the idea I was leaning towards).

I'm anxious to see what the 'real deal' looks like in coming weeks.

:)

post-985-1163778612_thumb.jpg

post-985-1163778626_thumb.jpg

post-985-1163778638_thumb.jpg

God... you would have to think about Atari's viewpoint here. Curt could use this forum as a test group by asking a simple poll question. He then shows said thread to Atari... and that is when they understand: This item will line their pockets!

Think about it... the majority of us will buy more than one of these items. I will buy at least two... but with the price I may buy more for gifts (my 5 year old loves playing Atari with me... he would love one of these as well). So you automatically have around 2 per Customer here. Now... look at media sold for video games. Say... a copy of God of War. MOST people... they are paying for one copy of the game... and that's it. Granted the FB2portable will cost more to produce than a disc... but the upside is amazing here. With all of the features mentioned above... this is a for sure winner for Atari.

I can't wait to see the final product on the shelves... and I kinda hope you can buy them online as well, because I don't think they are going to last long on the shelves. Too bad it couldn't be on the shelves for Christmas... but that's okay. Release it in the Spring... then watch the sells. Then... get the feedback from the consumers. Then advertise the hell out of it for the next Christmas season so it won't get lost with all of the PS3 and Wii talk. Could be a great Atari Christmas year again!!!!